Apple donating some proceeds from Apple Watch Pride band to LGBTQ groups

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Some of the money generated from the "Pride Edition" nylon band for the Apple Watch is going towards LBGTQ advocacy groups in the U.S. and abroad, Apple quietly announced this week.

The accessory's product page was updated on Wednesday with an additional paragraph, noting that "a portion of the proceeds" will go to several U.S. organizations, namely GLSEN, PFLAG, the Human Rights Campaign, and The Trevor Project. Internationally, only ILGA -- the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association -- will receive any funds.

The company didn't say how it's planning to divide donations.

As a company Apple has long backed LGBT rights, for instance being one of the first major U.S. businesses to extend benefits to same-sex couples. Current CEO Tim Cook is himself gay, and has not only marched in the San Francisco Pride Parade but spoken out on related political issues. Recently, an Apple statement condemned U.S. President Donald Trump's withdrawal of some transgender rights.

Typically though the only charity associated with Apple products is (Product)Red, which funnels cash to the Global Fund, in turn working to combat AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria. Earlier this year the company launched a special (Product)Red iPhone 7, finally donating proceeds from one of its flagship devices, instead of just iPods and accessories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    Great! Except that you still lose, Apple. Now, you have to change that band, because it is now  (somehow) oppressing some minorities even though it was never meant for people of color, unless you think that there blue, green, orange and yellow people. Sigh

http://www.dailywire.com/news/17397/philadelphia-lgbt-rainbow-flag-add-black-and-brown-frank-camp
    razorpittycho_macuser
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Nothing wrong with that at all.  I don't donate to LGBTQ causes (I donate to cancer research), not because I don't support that community, it's just not a priority in terms of my charitable donations.  That being said, I don't see how anyone would have an issue with this.  If you're offended (for some arbitrary reason), just don't buy the band.  Seems simple to me.
    [Deleted User]paxmanpeterhartanton zuykovjSnivelynetrox
  • Reply 3 of 24
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    wreighven said:
    Nothing wrong with that at all.  I don't donate to LGBTQ causes (I donate to cancer research), not because I don't support that community, it's just not a priority in terms of my charitable donations.  That being said, I don't see how anyone would have an issue with this.  If you're offended (for some arbitrary reason), just don't buy the band.  Seems simple to me.
    :smile: I think this a self regulating kind of situation. If for some reason you are offended by this you are highly unlikely to be interested in buying the band. It is possible and valid to be against something on the grounds of principle, however. Purchasing the band needn't be part of the equation. (I wager we'll find out soon enough right here)
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 4 of 24
    peterhartpeterhart Posts: 156member
    Great! Except that you still lose, Apple. Now, you have to change that band, because it is now  (somehow) oppressing some minorities even though it was never meant for people of color, unless you think that there blue, green, orange and yellow people. Sigh

http://www.dailywire.com/news/17397/philadelphia-lgbt-rainbow-flag-add-black-and-brown-frank-camp
    Only Philly did that. It's not a national change. No one "owns" the rainbow flag. Was just a suggestion that came about and a small group added brown and black stripes due to a few instances of people of color in that city. Apple does not lose and it's not likely they will change the band; the rainbow has nothing to do with skin color.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    peterhart said:

Only Philly did that. It's not a national change. No one "owns" the rainbow flag. Was just a suggestion that came about and a small group added brown and black stripes due to a few instances of people of color in that city. Apple does not lose and it's not likely they will change the band; the rainbow has nothing to do with skin color.
    LOL, you think it is going to stop in Philly?
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 6 of 24
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    paxman said:
    wreighven said:
    :smile: I think this a self regulating kind of situation. If for some reason you are offended by this you are highly unlikely to be interested in buying the band. It is possible and valid to be against something on the grounds of principle, however. Purchasing the band needn't be part of the equation. (I wager we'll find out soon enough right here)
    When I saw the headline I thought, "Oh great. Now the alt right will have a talking point against Apple for donating stockholder profits to a minority group." Plus, as a stockholder, I like to direct where my charity money goes to. However, it is a speciality product designed for a target community and whose profits go to that community. Very appropriate IMHO. 

Edit: When I first read the headline, I just skimmed it and didn't catch the parts that said it was from the speciality watch band. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 7 of 24
    wreighven said:
      If you're offended (for some arbitrary reason), just don't buy the band.  Seems simple to me.
    I agree, but that is not how it will be played out. Snowflakes think that if they got offended, someone has to pay. Lets see how far Apple can take this..
    But the point being - at some point Apple will have to stop, and that is when someone will feel oppressed that "their" color was not included, in whatever color palette it happened to be. Hence, my comment on losing.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 8 of 24
    peterhart said:
    the rainbow has nothing to do with skin color.
    Not anymore, evidently! Now it has everything to do with skin color, otherwise, why would they add black and brown stripes here while talking about minorities being discriminated in LGBT community? What do those colors represent in therms of sexuality/orientation, then if they don't not represent race?

Peterson was right about it being a bad idea of creating so many groups and subgroups...it will never stop, and you will end up with millions colors on that flag, because eventually everyone will only identify with his/her own group/set with only one person in it - him/herself.
    edited June 2017 tallest skil
  • Reply 9 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Not anymore, evidently! Now it has everything to do with skin color, otherwise, why would they add black and brown stripes here while talking about minorities being discriminated in LGBT community? What do those colors represent in therms of sexuality/orientation, then if they don't not represent race?

Peterson was right about it being a bad idea of creating so many groups and subgroups...it will never stop, and you will end up with millions colors on that flag, because eventually everyone will only identify with his/her own group/set with only one person in it - him/herself.
    This is what happens when you allow an autonomous culture to exist.

Also, the thread should have been closed immediately after the article was posted (or just don’t post the article at all).
    edited June 2017 razorpitcarnegieSpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 24
    peterhartpeterhart Posts: 156member
    razorpit said:
    peterhart said:
    LOL, you think it is going to stop in Philly?
    No and I didn't mean to infer that. The flag has changed many times I guess, reading up on it just a few minutes ago and it will again among other groups...it's difficult to include all of humanity in a single representation. Was only trying to figure out Anton's remark of why Apple's going to lose over this.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    That is not autonomous, when smaller parts of the society try to impose their rules onto another larger part by using the gov-t power. That is not what autonomous means.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 12 of 24
    That is not autonomous, when smaller parts of the society try to impose their rules onto another larger part by using the gov-t power. That is not what autonomous means.
    Ah, you’re correct; I should have clarified. Ostensibly autonomous, inevitably falling back on marxist authoritarianism when their belief system crumbles like the psychotic nonsense that it is. It’s sold as an autonomous culture with every effort made to hide its failure.
    anton zuykovSpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator

Also, the thread should have been closed immediately after the article was posted (or just don’t post the article at all).
    Why? Is anybody being nasty? Is anybody planning on being so?
    edited June 2017 peterhartanton zuykovfastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Why? Is anybody being nasty? Is anybody planning on being so?
    I think Tallest got triggered.... We know why.
    singularityanton zuykovhmm
  • Reply 15 of 24
    foggyhill said:
    Have any argument whatsoever, please. If there’s to be an all or nothing–leaning toward nothing–approach with political articles, then the least which can be done is the maintenance of consistency.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    I just like the watch band........but now thinking everyone will see me as gay when wearing it.  #a new kind of oppression /s
    razorpitanton zuykov
  • Reply 17 of 24
    foggyhill said:
    Have any argument whatsoever, please. If there’s to be an all or nothing–leaning toward nothing–approach with political articles, then the least which can be done is the maintenance of consistency.
    There is -- but the line may not be where you want it. Historically, you guys can't talk Trump/Obama with any adherence to the rules, so we reluctantly aren't allowing comments on the front page for them.

But, LGBT and Apple typically goes better.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This thread is erroneously tagged "Apple Watch" when it's clearly an "Apple Outsider" story. Apple sending profits to a political advocacy group is 100% political.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    This thread is erroneously tagged "Apple Watch" when it's clearly an "Apple Outsider" story. Apple sending profits to a political advocacy group is 100% political.
    When you work here, you can make that call.
    hmm
  • Reply 20 of 24
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Don't like or disagree with it then don't buy it.
    As the article states Apple have a long history supporting equal rights and this is just another expression of that.