Apple still undecided on fingerprint tech for 'iPhone 8,' no shipments until October

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,208member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Every aspect of the iPhone 8's design was locked at least a year before production. 
    In general I'd say that's correct, but with the fingerprint placement specifically I do think they ran into some issues with implementation, but with the decision on how to proceed already made IMHO. Anyway there's far too many mentions of it for there not to be something behind it.
    So by that logic bigfoot and aliens and the loch ness are all a thing, because far too many mentions?
    No by YOUR logic then I would suppose, not mine. I like to think I'm just a tad smarter than that.  :)
    But that's what you said, exactly -- that frequency of mentions is indicative of truth.

    I never made that claim, nor do I adhere to the logic of it. The point of the bigfoot example is to demonstrate the flaw in this logic. It's obviously false there, and is likewise no more sound when it's about rumored iphone delays. The reasoning is flawed conceptually. 

    But nice attempt to throw in your better smarter than me (?). Besides being unable to determine this via an anonymous rumors forums, it's entirely irrelevant. Just an ad hominem, really. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 22 of 32
    longpathlongpath Posts: 386member
    Summary: analyst proves ignorance, rather than keep mouth closed and merely be suspected of it
  • Reply 23 of 32
    jd_in_sb said:
    Every aspect of the iPhone 8's design was locked at least a year before production. 
    Thats why it fits for a Release in 2018 when the iPhone 8 is expected. This year we get the 7s.
    Remember all the rumours around the Release of the iPhone  4s (shortly before Steves demise) it was going to be Teardrop shaped. Cases were being made etc. and then in Apple Townhall the iPhone 4s came and the Leakers were proven wrong. I got the Feeling that the whole thing was a Red Herring and a late Prank by Steve to those that can't keep a secret. Apple has been known to make small series of Prototypes of up to several 1000 units and use them as Tests of Suppliers if they are able to produce to specification, it also enables Apple to see if they understand the NDA the way Apple dose.

    If you don't expect a iPhone 8 this year you won't be disappointed. If you listen to the Wording in the Leaked Anti Leaking efforts, they seem to say that they have been successful in stoping Relevant leaks. This dose not stop the Damage that Fake Leaks cause in Stock Manipulation and Expectations that are not met if Rumours do not come as expected. A healthy Stance ist "Those that know do not Talk, those who Talk do not Know"

    As to 10 Years, Apple dose not celebrate 10 Year Anniversaries, and when they do celebrate they do it on the Day the Anniversary happened. That was the 9th of January. The iPhone 7 was Apples 10th Phone.

    So lets enjoy the new Features that the iPhone 7s will have. Most likely a OLED Display or some new Super Retina Nano 500 Nit Display. New Speeds to make iOS 11 seem Magical and next year when the iPhone 8 comes out we will be chasing Rumours of a iPhone 9 because if Samsung Calls it new Model 9 it must be more Advance then the iPhone 8 Apple is bringing so it needs a new name. Its got to be at least 9 or made 10 who knows /s
  • Reply 24 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    gatorguy said:
    Anyway there's far too many mentions of it for there not to be something behind it. 
    Appeal to popularity, GG. That’s not how this works. As to fingerprint placement itself, the image is most assuredly wrong. It’ll still be in the center if it’s somehow magically behind the display at all.


  • Reply 25 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,423member
    gatorguy said:
    Anyway there's far too many mentions of it for there not to be something behind it. 
    Appeal to popularity, GG. That’s not how this works. As to fingerprint placement itself, the image is most assuredly wrong. It’ll still be in the center if it’s somehow magically behind the display at all.


    TS, you've read enough articles here on the subject to understand the rumors of issues with the embedded fingerprint reader come from folks with sources in Apple's supply chain, one in particular who has often reasonably accurate in his predictions of Apple features and products. Rather than an overly-active imagination the reports of possible issues that might cause this years iPhone release to be a bit later than the typical September come from the component supplier themselves reporting Apple had not yet approved production orders for the new OLED-screen fingerprint sensor. I think that might almost qualify as the the type of "facts" you like to see and should make it a bit more believable than Billie Bob saying Bigfoot was bathing in your birdbath this morning, his cousin's neighbor's son saw it with his own two eyes.

    Not sure about what you were actually referring to about "appeal to popularity" as it's certainly not a popular claim here. :)
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 26 of 32
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 6,339member
    supadav03 said:
    Good to hear that the rear finger print censor rumor has been put to rest. Even if there's difficulty I like that they have resolved to have it in the display. Still don't understand the iPhone 7S & 8 release. I just have no idea why anyone would consider an 7S with the 8 coming out at same time or right around the corner. 
    The rumors were the 7S and 7S+ would maintain $650 and $750(770 with the current 7+), both with the current storage models while the 8 would be $1000, but likely starting at a higher storage teir. $250 is enough for a lot of people not to the make the jump, of course it makes me wonder what will be the most popular option if an updated SE comes out in the next year.
    That's my thinking too. For as much as my wife wants an iPhone 8, she won't be getting one if it blazes over the 1,000 euro bar. Not even at 900 euros.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    drewyboy said:
    supadav03 said:
    Still don't understand the iPhone 7S & 8 release. I just have no idea why anyone would consider an 7S with the 8 coming out at same time or right around the corner. 
    Maybe I don't want to pay anywhere from 30-50% more for base model.
    So then buy a iPhone 7 on a discount. Makes more sense than paying a premium for a 7S. And do you REALLY think a base model will be 50% more? That's ridiculous. With installment plans you may pay $5-10 more a month for like storage sizes.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    jhart376 said:
    supadav03 said:
    Good to hear that the rear finger print censor rumor has been put to rest. Even if there's difficulty I like that they have resolved to have it in the display. Still don't understand the iPhone 7S & 8 release. I just have no idea why anyone would consider an 7S with the 8 coming out at same time or right around the corner. 
    Apple has many client types. They sell the SE very well along the top tier models and also sell year old phones which millions of people buy, not to mention refurb phones older than a year. 
    So if your price  conscience buy a 7 or SE, which are amazing phones at a great price. If you need the latest & greatest, but the iPhone "8". To me, the 7S seems like no man's land. 
  • Reply 29 of 32
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 428member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Every aspect of the iPhone 8's design was locked at least a year before production. 
    In general I'd say that's correct, but with the fingerprint placement specifically I do think they ran into some issues with implementation, but with the decision on how to proceed already made IMHO. Anyway there's far too many mentions of it for there not to be something behind it.
    So by that logic bigfoot and aliens and the loch ness are all a thing, because far too many mentions?
    No by YOUR logic then I would suppose, not mine. I like to think I'm just a tad smarter than that.  :)
    But that's what you said, exactly -- that frequency of mentions is indicative of truth.

    I never made that claim, nor do I adhere to the logic of it. The point of the bigfoot example is to demonstrate the flaw in this logic. It's obviously false there, and is likewise no more sound when it's about rumored iphone delays. The reasoning is flawed conceptually. 

    But nice attempt to throw in your better smarter than me (?). Besides being unable to determine this via an anonymous rumors forums, it's entirely irrelevant. Just an ad hominem, really. 
    It's a stupid analogy, the Bigfoot one. Don't even defend it. When you hear a rumor about iPhone 8 from multiple sources, and numerous time, of course it becomes more credible. Dont make a stupid statement and set yourself up to then claim you're a victim of ad hominem attacks. The reasoning is flawed, all right!
  • Reply 30 of 32
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,911member
    And I guess I'm still the only person who thinks iPhone 8/"X" won't arrive until the regularly scheduled 2018 event. 
  • Reply 31 of 32
    drewyboydrewyboy Posts: 73member
    supadav03 said:
    drewyboy said:
    supadav03 said:
    Still don't understand the iPhone 7S & 8 release. I just have no idea why anyone would consider an 7S with the 8 coming out at same time or right around the corner. 
    Maybe I don't want to pay anywhere from 30-50% more for base model.
    So then buy a iPhone 7 on a discount. Makes more sense than paying a premium for a 7S. And do you REALLY think a base model will be 50% more? That's ridiculous. With installment plans you may pay $5-10 more a month for like storage sizes.
    iPhone 7s base -> $650
    iPhone 7s+ base -> $770
    iPhone 8 base -> $1000

    iPhone 7s base to 8 base, 53.84% increase
    iPhone 7s+ base to 8 base, 29.87% increase

    Remember neither of these are taking tax into consideration since it's state dependent. As for monthly payments, don't even bring that up. That's a sales 101 tactic. I'm no fool.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Looks like AI forgot to reference the earlier reports that there are yield issues with the front-mounted fingerprint sensor. If the optics are good enough to scan a human retina wearing Tim Coook's glasses, would they still need fingerprint tech for casual unlocking?
Sign In or Register to comment.