Apple's Cook promises security insurance discount at Cisco event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2017
Apple CEO Tim Cook made a surprise appearance at a Cisco event in Las Vegas on Monday, revealing plans to help businesses with discounts on cyber-security insurance if they use products from both companies. Following the event, Cisco announced another outcome of its Apple partnership, the Cisco Security Connector app for iPhone and iPad.

Image Credit: Rowan Trollope on Twitter
Image Credit: Rowan Trollope on Twitter

"The thinking we share here is that if your enterprise or company is using Cisco and Apple, that the combination of these should make that insurance cost significantly less," Cook said according to Reuters. "This is something we're going to spend some energy on. You should reap that benefit."

The Security Connector app will launch this fall, and offer "security functionality from Cisco Umbrella and Cisco Clarity in a single app," Cisco said. Specifically the app will aid in the investigation of security incidents, block people from connecting to malicious websites, and encrypt DNS requests.

Organizations will have to deploy the app via a mobile device management platform -- most likely Cisco's Meraki Systems Manager. Prior to the fall, organizations will be able to test Security Connector by way of a beta program.

Apple and Cisco first announced their collaboration in Aug. 2015, intended to ensure iPhones and iPads were optimized for Cisco networks, and vice versa.

Many other Apple enterprise partnerships have been forged in recent years, including ones with IBM, SAP, and Deloitte.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Does this mean they've definitely abandoned Airport?
    GeorgeBMacSpamSandwichksec
  • Reply 2 of 8
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    The recent computer security panics have involved vulnerabilities in MicroSoft systems.  Of course Apple doesn't sell enterprise servers anymore, but certainly they can help with individual device security.  This seems like a smart move.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    I have been using Cisco Umbrella on all my Apple devices for the past 8 years. Originally it was called OpenDNS. It's the best cloud security system available. I wish Apple would build it in their OS. Umbrella catches everything that's going in and out and lets you know if there is a threat on your network or a particular device. A basic dashboard is free, home starts at $20 a year and enterprise solutions also available! Cisco Umbrella is a stellar product you wouldn't even need insurance if you are using both products from Cisco & Apple. https://umbrella.cisco.com

With the Cisco Security Connector, organizations gain the following:
    • Visibility: Ensure compliance of mobile users and their enterprise-owned iOS devices during incident investigations by rapidly identifying what happened, whom it affected, and the risk exposure.
    • Control: Protect users of iOS devices from connecting to malicious sites on the internet, whether on the corporate network, public Wi-Fi, or cellular networks.
    • Privacy: Safeguard corporate data and users by encrypting the internet (DNS) requests.
    edited June 2017 jony0
  • Reply 4 of 8
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    dysamoria said:
    Thanks Sergioz for letting us know Cisco Umbrella was OpenDNS. I have used the free service from OpenDNS for years. This doesn't mean anything about Airport since you can configure Airport to use Cisco Umbrella (OpenDNS).  It's just as simple as setting it to use the Cisco DNS instead of ISP DNS.  I used Cisco Meraki for a while and it's quite cool but I don't think a subscription Wifi router would catch on with consumers.  It's good stuff though.

If you would ever have needed insurance, your compliance risks or liability is probably quite high.   You should probably still get insurance with those products, but it should be quite a bit cheaper.
    jony0
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I love Tim Cook's stripey socks in the pic accompanying the article.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    dysamoria said:
    Yes, this is VERY interesting...
    Is Apple abandoning WiFi due to security concerns that they don't feel up to meeting?
    The truth is:  There are a number of doors into your private data.  Two of the biggest, widest doors are your device and your router.  Apple has the device pretty well tied down and locked up tight (at least as well or better than anybody).  But we are learning that the router is a door that is not only not locked but wide open for most.

I think there is a lot more behind this story...
    ... Especially as cloud/internet computing proliferates to home devices and to automobiles.  It could involve a lot more than 'just' private information.  It could increasingly involve your physical safety.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    williamh said:
    dysamoria said:
    Thanks Sergioz for letting us know Cisco Umbrella was OpenDNS. I have used the free service from OpenDNS for years. This doesn't mean anything about Airport since you can configure Airport to use Cisco Umbrella (OpenDNS).  It's just as simple as setting it to use the Cisco DNS instead of ISP DNS.  I used Cisco Meraki for a while and it's quite cool but I don't think a subscription Wifi router would catch on with consumers.  It's good stuff though.

If you would ever have needed insurance, your compliance risks or liability is probably quite high.   You should probably still get insurance with those products, but it should be quite a bit cheaper.
    Thanks for letting us know it is OpenDNS. So is it basically the same offering as something like Symantec DNS and Google DNS?

And may be it is part of the deal between Apple and Cisco, both dont step into each other's category? ( Hence no more Airport ) I think they learn that from working with Google.  
  • Reply 8 of 8
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    ksec said:
    williamh said:
    dysamoria said:

Thanks for letting us know it is OpenDNS. So is it basically the same offering as something like Symantec DNS and Google DNS?

And may be it is part of the deal between Apple and Cisco, both dont step into each other's category? ( Hence no more Airport ) I think they learn that from working with Google.  
    It's similar to Symantec DNS and Google DNS. Umbrella by Cisco is geared toward enterprise solutions and protecting big companies and remote workers mainly. With Umbrella you can protect networks, roaming clients, virtual appliances manage IT gateways and many other important network security related events. Umbrella has been upgraded in many ways and security options are unmatched in the industry. So if you would compare; Google DNS gives you robust DNS and filters, Symantec DNS gives you DNS and security and charges you an arm and a leg. Umbrella gives you security in the cloud and protects you when you are on the go. Umbrella is superior in many ways and great to have for a household if you know how to implement it. There are many secure routers on the market that claim to provide security for your house and appliances such as IP cameras, baby monitors, and smart fridges and smart TVs. Most of them are complete junk though. You can have normal router and Umbrella by Cisco and you have a bulletproof network!