Apple Music begins rollout of 'My Chill Mix' to select users

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2019
Apple on Tuesday began the staggered release of a new curated Apple Music playlist dubbed "My Chill Mix," offering users a custom generated sampling of relaxing tunes from their favorite artists and genres.

Apple Music's new My Chill Mix. | Source: Mehdi Shibahara via Twitter

The new feature started rolling out to Apple Music customers earlier today as part of the app's "For You" section. According to The Loop, Apple is activating My Chill Mix in stages, meaning the service will only be available to a subset of users at launch. A timeline for full availability was not provided.

Like last year's "My New Music Mix" and "My Favorites Mix," My Chill Mix pulls from user listening histories, liked songs, favorite artists and more to deliver a custom tuned playlist. As its name suggests, the new Apple Music feature selects soothing tracks perfect for winding down after work or vegging out on the couch.

Apple informed The Loop that My Chill Mix algorithms will attempt to choose songs based on a user's existing listening preferences. For example, customers who like rock or pop will see "chill" songs pulled from those genres. Like My New Music Mix, each user's experience is unique.

While Apple failed to elaborate on the frequency of playlist updates, it can be assumed that My Chill Mix will perform in a similar fashion to other For You mixes and auto-generate new content every week. As seen in the screenshot above, current My Chill Mix playlists were created on Sunday.

When it goes live, customers can find the new feature at the top of the For You tab in Apple Music alongside existing panes for My New Music Mix and My Favorites Mix.
lostkiwi

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Not sure why they selected me.... I tried it and it suffers the Amercian music bias as the other not really My Mixes.

gregoriusm
  • Reply 2 of 9
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    Who even talks like that anymore?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Awesome! Looking forward to trying it. 
    jahblade
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I work with a bunch of mid-20s to early 30s people and they definitely talk like that (I'm assuming you're referencing the "chill" part of it).  One of the early complaints that I heard about Apple Music compared to Spotify, which several of my coworkers use/used, was that Spotify had a "Chill" playlist for them and they couldnt' find such on Apple Music.

Edit:  I just checked Apple Music and, sure enough, I get the My Chill Mix playlist as well.  I'll have to check it out.  There's only one artist that I recognize in the 7 that are listed on the front page so this may be interesting.
    edited June 2017 jahblade
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Seems like a playlist that would be listened to while at home. They mention to unwind or relax... a perfect companion of HomePod music playing! Regardless, I'm all for a wider variety of curated playlists
    gregoriusmcaliStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 9
    BigBWSRBigBWSR Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    I think it needs some major work, apparently stuff like Rob Zombie, Pantera, Bad Religion, and Otep and many other metal type bands are considered “chill” 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 7 of 9
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    BigBWSR said:
    I think it needs some major work, apparently stuff like Rob Zombie, Pantera, Bad Religion, and Otep and many other metal type bands are considered “chill” 
    Maybe its just what they consider you think is chill; for someone listening to trash metal, maybe these things are "chill" ;-).
    jahblade
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Found it on my iPhone. Nice mix with some curve balls - Simon & Garfunkel, Paul McCartney, U2, The Shadows, The Boss, Neil Young, John Lennon, Roger Waters, Queen and Beastie Boys??
  • Reply 9 of 9
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    I work with a bunch of mid-20s to early 30s people and they definitely talk like that (I'm assuming you're referencing the "chill" part of it).  One of the early complaints that I heard about Apple Music compared to Spotify, which several of my coworkers use/used, was that Spotify had a "Chill" playlist for them and they couldnt' find such on Apple Music.

Edit:  I just checked Apple Music and, sure enough, I get the My Chill Mix playlist as well.  I'll have to check it out.  There's only one artist that I recognize in the 7 that are listed on the front page so this may be interesting.
    I agree with your Spotify comment in the sense that Pandora was my go to app for entertaining at home because AppleMusic just didn't have what I needed. Now it does.