Apple email campaign encourages trade-in upgrades to iPhone 7 ahead of 'iPhone 8'

Posted:
in iPhone
A new email marketing campaign from Apple is nudging owners of other smartphones -- and older iPhones -- to trade them in towards an iPhone 7, just months from when the "iPhone 7s," "7s Plus" and "8" are likely to be announced.

The email notes that people can get up to $260 in credit towards a new iPhone, either by taking their old device to an Apple store or through a slower mail-in process in exchange for a gift card. As usual, the exact amount is dependent on the phone model and its condition -- the only iPhone capable of fetching $260 is a mint-condition 6s Plus.

Even then, that value is still lower than what's offered through some other trade-in services.

Apple typically doesn't put its trade-in program front-and-center, but the company is presumably hoping to raise iPhone numbers in the middle of its dryest sales season. iPhone sales are naturally high after fall launches and through the holidays, but start to fade during the March quarter, then bottom out during the summer.

By that stage, people interested in buying a smartphone are often holding out for a new iPhone model, or choosing to go with an Android device -- many Android phones are launched in the first half of the year.

The "iPhone 8" is generally expected to feature a 5.8-inch, edge-to-edge OLED display with an embedded Touch ID sensor, doing away with a physical home button. It should also have an "A11" processor, wireless charging, and 3D facial recognition.

The "7s" and "7s Plus" should have 4.7- and 5.5-inch LCD displays, but carry over some "8" upgrades, like wireless charging support.

All three devices will probably be announced at a September press event. The "iPhone 8" may not ship until October or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    Looking forward to an upgrade on the SE.  I hope they keep the 4" format up to date.
    Maybe summer would be a good time to update the SE to pick up the slump.
    edited June 2017 lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 5
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Link?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ziggy787ziggy787 Posts: 10member
    I received this email but I have an iPhone 7. Not sure what they were thinking when they sent that to me.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    As a long time supporter of Apple products I wish they had an upgrade program in Canada
    jony0
  • Reply 5 of 5
    doing away with a physical home button. 
    They did away with the physical Home Button last year. Dozens (maybe hundreds?) of articles posted here referred to it as such.

But apparently Apple did such a good job of it that some people still think there is a "physical Home Button"?

The difference will be in the lack of dedicated Touch ID sensor location and activation ring. Without that, they can draw the Home Button target anywhere on the display that they see fit. It is still Pressure Sensitive Immobile Glass w/ Haptic Feedback. 

watto_cobra