Apple launches first public beta of macOS High Sierra

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    So I rebuilt using Sierra then I installed the beta.

Nowhere is there an option for upgrading to APFS. I'm running an early 2011 15" MBP with a WD 750GB Black SATA drive unpartitioned. What's going on? Is it a spec thing?
    I was not aware of any cutoff regarding APFS.  On my install, there was a checkbox on the popup early in the install that had to be checked for the inline file system upgrade.  There is an alternative as well.

Boot to the recovery partition (command R on startup) and use Disk Utilities where there is an option to convert the boot drive to APFS.

BE FOREWARNED! the upgrade to APFS is ONE-WAY.  At the moment, Apple has NOT provided a way to revert to HPF+ and even if you wipe the drive, restore a backup, it won't boot!  It has been reported that using Windows in Parallels or VMWARE running in a separately booted ext drive you can use MiniTools (a PC partitioning tool), to delete ALL the partitions on the drive that held the APFS partition which will then allow you to start from scratch.  
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 42 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MacPro said:
    macxpress said:
    I just put this on my work Mac and it just totally messed up everything!!!! Apple can't do anything right! How do I go back to Sierra?

/s
    You are so spot on.  There will be pain, anguish and gnashing of teeth if they have checked APFS.  Even with back ups they are in for some real hurt when they try to revert a boot drive back to HFS+, restore and reboot and find it doesn't.  IMHO  public betas should have come minus APFS options.
    They did. The first screen after you click install has a checkbox for APFS or not.
    That's not what I meant. I meant the public release should not have the APFS option yet.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 43 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    dtidmore said:

Nowhere is there an option for upgrading to APFS. I'm running an early 2011 15" MBP with a WD 750GB Black SATA drive unpartitioned. What's going on? Is it a spec thing?
    I was not aware of any cutoff regarding APFS.  On my install, there was a checkbox on the popup early in the install that had to be checked for the inline file system upgrade.  There is an alternative as well.

Boot to the recovery partition (command R on startup) and use Disk Utilities where there is an option to convert the boot drive to APFS.

BE FOREWARNED! the upgrade to APFS is ONE-WAY.  At the moment, Apple has NOT provided a way to revert to HPF+ and even if you wipe the drive, restore a backup, it won't boot!  It has been reported that using Windows in Parallels or VMWARE running in a separately booted ext drive you can use MiniTools (a PC partitioning tool), to delete ALL the partitions on the drive that held the APFS partition which will then allow you to start from scratch.  
    When you loosely quote me I'd appreciate the reference.  Not for credit but for blame if I am incorrect.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 44 of 54
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 699member
    Anyone know if the currently shipping Apple Remote Desktop (3.9) runs under High Sierra?

• Reply 45 of 54
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    dtidmore said:

I know the option exists only it never did for me in any of my cases.

I've only just got back so I'm going to do Command R at start and see if option is there.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Nope. I just get an error of 69853 when trying to do the conversion.

Will log a Feedback submission.

Kind of weird.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Curious if any has encountered an inability to adjust screen brightness under the public beta? Mine is stuck at MAX brightness.  When the display if being driven by the integrated INTEL graphics, I have both the virtual brightness control and the screen does popup the brightness indicator when I use f1/f2 BUT the screen remains at MAX brightness regardless.  When I switch to the discrete graphics card, I loose the brightness controls entirely.  I have reported this to Apple, but just curious if anyone else is seeing it. I am running on a mid 2012, 15", non-retina MBP.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    jpellino said:
    Anyone know if the currently shipping Apple Remote Desktop (3.9) runs under High Sierra?

I just checked and I had no issues with ARD  3.9 under High Sierra
  • Reply 49 of 54
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    Ofer said:
    macxpress said:
    I just put this on my work Mac and it just totally messed up everything!!!! Apple can't do anything right! How do I go back to Sierra?

/s
    This is a beta. Saying Apple can't do anything right because a beta messed up your system is ridiculous. You have no one to blame but yourself here.

if this was the final version that would be different; but you should know the risks going in with beta software.
    Note the "/s"
    Oops, I totally missed that. My bad. I feel stupid 
  • Reply 50 of 54
    dtidmore said:
    Curious if any has encountered an inability to adjust screen brightness under the public beta? Mine is stuck at MAX brightness.  When the display if being driven by the integrated INTEL graphics, I have both the virtual brightness control and the screen does popup the brightness indicator when I use f1/f2 BUT the screen remains at MAX brightness regardless.  When I switch to the discrete graphics card, I loose the brightness controls entirely.  I have reported this to Apple, but just curious if anyone else is seeing it. I am running on a mid 2012, 15", non-retina MBP.
    Just tried it and the same for me on an Early 2011 15" MBP.

Logged Feedback on it as well.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 51 of 54
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    I'm not planning on installing the public beta, but I do want to go to High Sierra once it's gone GM. But I do have a question re: APFS and partitions somewhat related to the posts by MacPro and Wookie above. I'll need to keep an install of ElCap on my 2015 rMBP, does anyone foresee that there any potential issues with moving one partition on a boot drive to APFS and keeping another as HFS+?
  • Reply 52 of 54
    First, by design, each partition IS its own world and High Sierra still supports HFS+ completely.  On my machine I have a DIY Fusion Drive and the HDD is partitioned such that most of it belongs to the Fusion Drive but I also have a sandbox partition that I use for whatever.  In addition there is the recovery boot EFI partition that is actually an MS-DOS FAT32 partition!  I used the inline APFS conversion during the install of High Sierra and had no issues.  The Fusion Drive converted over to APFS and the sandbox partition remained HFS+.   How you format any given partition is separate from the partition itself.  
    sennen
  • Reply 53 of 54
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 699member
    dtidmore said:
    jpellino said:

I just checked and I had no issues with ARD  3.9 under High Sierra
    Thanks!
  • Reply 54 of 54
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Thanks, Dtidmore, it's a pain to have to keep a partition for legacy apps, but I'm glad I can do so and still run High Sierra for my everyday use (once it goes GM!).
    edited July 2017