Alpine delivers first in-dash wireless CarPlay receiver you can install yourself

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    seanie248 said:
    nhughes said:
    evilution said:
    nhughes said:
    what is the text “Text” to the right of the volume number?
    Photo was taken at CES in January, so it was beta. Presumably the shipping product addresses that.
    That "text" has been applied over the top of the photo.
    Considering Victor texted me that picture from his phone and I uploaded it, I don't think the text was added over the photo. I think it's just a bug in the software.
    The text doesn't look like its part of the interface, looks like it was added to the photo. Blame Victor :)
    Thanks!
  • Reply 22 of 40
    xamax said:
    How is this better than having your iPhone do it? I mean, I have a really dumb really simple Sony car radio with a USB. I get in the car, place my iPhone in its stand, connect it to the radio via USB but I could simply use Bluetooth for wireless and I can have my own paid for Sygic GPS App that's better than Apple's or Google Maps Apps. Can do anything.

This Sony radio was €80 many years ago, if any I can buy better for cheaper. Even if I purchased an used iPhone 6 Plus just for this task, I would still spend half as much. And I could tuck it in safe in the glove compartment or wherever out of sight.

Cos would I instal this only to see my car broken into?! I mean, I don't even leave the €80 unit faceplate on - because broken windows and such are much more expensive than that.

Seriously, Alpine & Co better reinvent themselves and fast! This is not the way neither it is to come up with overpriced gear upfront, that's not how you win market share. It's like these companies don't put their brains much into what they do. And that's the Apple difference, I must say... So no, Alpine, no!
    Apple has been accused in the past of coming up with overpriced gear upfront. Apple's path to success has not been to price themselves cheap to gain adoption.

Using an iPhone is an awkward solution for driving. You can do everything you'd want to do with an iphone - handsfree calling, music, maps, 'hey siri' for texting and placing calls.. but it's an interface and screen size designed for a 30cm viewing distance. When you're driving, it's further away, off to the side, and you want to be able to interact with it while taking as little attention as possible away from the road. For a touch screen that means things need to be in consistent locations so that you don't have to look, or don't have to look much. It means voice with good handsfree, which some cars don't have, so using an aftermarket CarPlay solution solves it well. It's the difference between a hacked together experience that is non-optimal, and an optimized integrated experience that is up to date with every update to your phone. 
    bb-15gregoriusmStrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 40
    sirozha said:
    big kc said:
    $900? They're smoking crack. It's at least 2x more expensive than it should be (or likely needs to be), and still lacks a volume knob, which is a huge annoyance. Somebody needs to come out with a similar unit, mechless (no CD transport) for simplicity and mounting ease (unit can be very shallow w/o the transport), at $450. With a freakin volume knob. They'd sell like hotcakes. Alpine won't sell many of these at this crazy price.
    You can control CarPlay units via the steering wheel control, so the volume can be adjusted by the driver on the steering wheel.

CarPlay may not be worth $900, but Android Auto absolutely is. I have a 2006 Lexus GS300 that has a horrible head unit. It's just bad. The audio system is very good (Mark Levinson), but the head unit is a disaster. I have been suffering with this head unit ever since I bought the car (used) 8 years ago. I would love to get a great head unit for Android Auto (CarPlay) and keep the car for another 8 years. The car is great, but the lack of smartphone integration and the horrible head unit makes me want to get rid of it. If I could spend $1000 to have the infotainment modernized in this car, I would gladly pay it. Unfortunately, there is no way to do this because it's too deeply integrated with the car's climate controls. 

For folks in my boat with older cars, these $1000 head units that support Android Auto and Car Play (especially wireless ones), are a steal. It's much much cheaper than trading this car for a new one. 
    https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/761552-2006-gs300-pioneer-avic8000nex.html shows someone who managed to install a Pioneer 8000NEX unit into the 06 GS300.

It can be done. Obviously, it's not as clean as if there were an aftermarket fascia available, but it's not impossible, either. I would think using the new Pioneer single DIN that has the motorized screen would be an even better look - you wouldn't have to mess up the lines of the fascia as much.
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 24 of 40
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I applaud Alpine for being first with wifi CarPlay. I feel it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully Sony, kenwood and pioneer catch up on that front.

But I personally will not be considering this headunit. No 4 or 5 volt pre-outs equals no sale here. For $900 there isn't any excuse when your competition (kenwood 9903s and pioneer 8200nex/4200nex) does it and for much cheaper. If you want to charge a premium to standout than at least offer premium features that audio enthusiasts have demanded for years. At a minimum offer a CarPlay deck that does have them.

I'm a huge alpine fan but lately their head units have really thrown me for a loop. 

With th regards to CarPlay in general. I use it every day. I have a kenwood 9903s in my evo and a pioneer 4200nex in my Tacoma. Soon as I leave the driveway it picks up I'm heading to work and automatically routes the quickest route taking into consideration times and traffic density. I have a 12 mile commute and it has taken me on various routes I never knew about. I love that it analyzes your current trip and suggests other routes based on current data asking you if you'd like to change routes. Save 5 min by changing this way, yep!

Audio wise it seems the 9903s is a bit more advanced in the CarPlay audio section. Browsing is quick. A must for Apple Music or Spotify imo. Just wish Apple would open it up to developers. 
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 25 of 40
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I'm sure I'm showing my technical ignorance but I'll ask the question anyway:

Why WiFi over Bluetooth?   Especially as they're using bluetooth anyway to trigger the WiFi.

What functionality does WiFi provide in connecting two units in close proximity with each other that Bluetooth doesn't?  
  • Reply 26 of 40
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    "Text" is a unit of measure for sound volume.  ;)
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 40
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    fallenjt said:
    The phone connects to both simultaneously when in CarPlay mode. I've been using CarPlay for a while and let me tell you: $900 ain't worth.
    And, even if it were, Apple seriously needs to do something about iPhones in non-CarPlay cars.

When I switched from my iPod touch to my iPhone SE, I thought... wow, I'm finally going to be able to do stuff like answer the phone or control my podcast playing without pulling over to the side of the road. Then, I found out that there's nearly no hand's free functionality and Siri is useless when driving.

We hear all the safety and don't text and drive stuff.... and then find out that Apple's doing very little to try and eliminate that (aside from a silly proposed setting you'd have to honestly answer... which if you were honest... you wouldn't text and drive in the first place!).

One wonders if they have purposely made Siri and hands free so bad in order to sell CarPlay, or if it's just gross incompetence. Maybe no-one designing things at Apple drives with their devices? (i.e.: public transit) Or, maybe they all drive CarPlay cars?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    I'm sure I'm showing my technical ignorance but I'll ask the question anyway:

Why WiFi over Bluetooth?   Especially as they're using bluetooth anyway to trigger the WiFi.

What functionality does WiFi provide in connecting two units in close proximity with each other that Bluetooth doesn't?  
    I could be wrong here, but my guess would be bandwidth, possibly range and stability too.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    nhughes said:
    BittySon said:
    If the phone is connected to the unit's wifi, which is not connected to the internet, how will the phone then connect to the internet since wifi takes priority over cellular?
    I've used many devices that rely on Wi-Fi direct, including drones and cameras, and they still access the internet fine. iOS knows the difference.
    Basically routing, if the wifi you are connected with doesn't have the route to the destination, send it through the one who does. The problem occurs if the wifi network advertises routes to the internet when it does not have them. In this case it is more like the cell phone is the hotspot
  • Reply 30 of 40
    I installed an iPad mount in cup holder of my 2009 Chevy HHR, and iPad brackets to back of each seat. The one in cup holder is T-Mobile cellular with HOTSPOT. I have everything shown on screen shot, on each of the iPad Mini's installed in car. Each passenger has their own iPad mini with Bluetooth headsets. Kids have live TV everywhere. I also downloaded 55 movies to the VUDU app on the iPad to watch and not use data. I just call it the APPLE CAR!
    edited July 2017 xamax
  • Reply 31 of 40
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Car too old 😖
  • Reply 32 of 40
    The text is purely text that says “Text”

thankyou 
  • Reply 33 of 40
    I installed the first Alpine unit in my daily driver when it first came out. $920 AUD at the time. When I got a different car to drive daily but kept the first car, I ripped it out and reinstalled it in the other car because it’s so important to me to have it. I spend 1.5hrs in the car daily and it is incredibly useful. I would not go back to not having it at all. I will not get a Tesla for example while they do not support it. Especially when cheap plug in hybrids like the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV do support CarPlay natively.

The iOS 11 public beta adds some great additional functionality in maps where it will constantly show two alternative routes on screen to the one you’re taking, and highlight them with “12 minutes longer” and “about the same” giving you quick visual feedback on viable alternate routes during the commute. 

May any not be essential to everyone but I love the system. As to the price? I have one fitted to a 2004 car and another to a 2005 car. The CarPlay is more important to me than the rest of the vehicle, within certain parameters. 

I went alpine because it is mechless (one comment previous suggested it should be a mechless version? Well it already is) and has a proper capacitive touch screen. Pioneer units had a horrible over complicated interface with built in stuff I don’t need, Android auto which I’ll never need, and resistive touch and sometimes a smaller screen for more money at the time anyway. Haven’t looked lately. 
  • Reply 34 of 40
    cornchip said:
    Car too old 😖
    Mine is 18 years old but it had a 5" hole for the radio.   So, for a few hundred dollars I installed a JVC from Crutchfied.  They supplied the wiring and conversion kits as well as detailed instructions -- all the way down to where the clips are for removing the dash panel to get to the radio.  It looks no different from an OEM radio:  no gaps or holes.  It fits perfectly.  I thought about getting a touchscreen version but didn't want to spend the money on it.

Now I have hands free talking and great tunes from Apple Music.  My iPhone connects automatically via Bluetooth when I start the car -- or I can use the USB and charge it while I listen to tunes and use the Maps. 

Crutchfield specializes in car audio and does a great job walking you through what will work for you and supplying everything you need (including information) to do a great job.  I highly recommend them.
    xamax
  • Reply 35 of 40
    I installed the first Alpine unit in my daily driver when it first came out. $920 AUD at the time. When I got a different car to drive daily but kept the first car, I ripped it out and reinstalled it in the other car because it’s so important to me to have it. I spend 1.5hrs in the car daily and it is incredibly useful. I would not go back to not having it at all. I will not get a Tesla for example while they do not support it. Especially when cheap plug in hybrids like the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV do support CarPlay natively.

The iOS 11 public beta adds some great additional functionality in maps where it will constantly show two alternative routes on screen to the one you’re taking, and highlight them with “12 minutes longer” and “about the same” giving you quick visual feedback on viable alternate routes during the commute. 

May any not be essential to everyone but I love the system. As to the price? I have one fitted to a 2004 car and another to a 2005 car. The CarPlay is more important to me than the rest of the vehicle, within certain parameters. 

I went alpine because it is mechless (one comment previous suggested it should be a mechless version? Well it already is) and has a proper capacitive touch screen. Pioneer units had a horrible over complicated interface with built in stuff I don’t need, Android auto which I’ll never need, and resistive touch and sometimes a smaller screen for more money at the time anyway. Haven’t looked lately. 
    That sounds sweet.
    I got a JVC unit that provides hands-free, bluetooth audio and USB charging via the lightening cord.  It's not CarPlay, but it does the essentials for a LOT less money.  I seriously thought about the touchscreens and CarPlay units -- but just didn't want to put that much money into an older car...

But, when I get new wheels, I am thinking about getting a newer used car and installing a CarPlay unit in it.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    cgWerks said:
    fallenjt said:
    The phone connects to both simultaneously when in CarPlay mode. I've been using CarPlay for a while and let me tell you: $900 ain't worth.
    And, even if it were, Apple seriously needs to do something about iPhones in non-CarPlay cars.

When I switched from my iPod touch to my iPhone SE, I thought... wow, I'm finally going to be able to do stuff like answer the phone or control my podcast playing without pulling over to the side of the road. Then, I found out that there's nearly no hand's free functionality and Siri is useless when driving.

We hear all the safety and don't text and drive stuff.... and then find out that Apple's doing very little to try and eliminate that (aside from a silly proposed setting you'd have to honestly answer... which if you were honest... you wouldn't text and drive in the first place!).

One wonders if they have purposely made Siri and hands free so bad in order to sell CarPlay, or if it's just gross incompetence. Maybe no-one designing things at Apple drives with their devices? (i.e.: public transit) Or, maybe they all drive CarPlay cars?
    No idea what you're on about. My car doesnt have CarPlay and my iPhone works fine with it over BT. it even operates in Siri Eyes Free mode so i can just give commands.

Your little conspiracy doesnt even make a lick of sense -- there is no "selling" CarPlay, it's already baked into each iphone, and Apple doesnt sell CarPlay head units.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 37 of 40
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    vmarks said:
    sirozha said:
    big kc said:
    $900? They're smoking crack. It's at least 2x more expensive than it should be (or likely needs to be), and still lacks a volume knob, which is a huge annoyance. Somebody needs to come out with a similar unit, mechless (no CD transport) for simplicity and mounting ease (unit can be very shallow w/o the transport), at $450. With a freakin volume knob. They'd sell like hotcakes. Alpine won't sell many of these at this crazy price.
    You can control CarPlay units via the steering wheel control, so the volume can be adjusted by the driver on the steering wheel.

CarPlay may not be worth $900, but Android Auto absolutely is. I have a 2006 Lexus GS300 that has a horrible head unit. It's just bad. The audio system is very good (Mark Levinson), but the head unit is a disaster. I have been suffering with this head unit ever since I bought the car (used) 8 years ago. I would love to get a great head unit for Android Auto (CarPlay) and keep the car for another 8 years. The car is great, but the lack of smartphone integration and the horrible head unit makes me want to get rid of it. If I could spend $1000 to have the infotainment modernized in this car, I would gladly pay it. Unfortunately, there is no way to do this because it's too deeply integrated with the car's climate controls. 

For folks in my boat with older cars, these $1000 head units that support Android Auto and Car Play (especially wireless ones), are a steal. It's much much cheaper than trading this car for a new one. 
    https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/761552-2006-gs300-pioneer-avic8000nex.html shows someone who managed to install a Pioneer 8000NEX unit into the 06 GS300.

It can be done. Obviously, it's not as clean as if there were an aftermarket fascia available, but it's not impossible, either. I would think using the new Pioneer single DIN that has the motorized screen would be an even better look - you wouldn't have to mess up the lines of the fascia as much.
    The problem is more that most consumer cars use a single monolithic head unit like this, while most luxury cars use a network of computers instead. They use a bus called MOST, which is surprisingly reminiscent of token ring, but over fiber or a single twisted pair. The "head unit" is really just a display and controller, sometimes as two separate nodes on the MOST bus.

To the best of my knowledge, none of these head units can talk MOST, and I haven't seen any integration computers to act as a proxy either. In most cases, you *can* install an aftermarket head unit, but you lose the car's integrated amplifier, the trip computer, and a whole lot of other things. As you can see in the post you mentioned, the guy had to install a whole second screen just to retain climate control. The Pioneer wouldn't have been able to play audio if he hadn't replaced all of the wiring to the speakers.

The really sad part is that with MOST, the display can act as just a display. The navigation system in most luxury cars has its own DVD or hard drive for the maps. This storage has the actual navigation software, and *it* draws the map view, then sends the video to the display as a media stream. It is definitely possible to do the same kind of thing with CarPlay, but it would be extraordinarily difficult to make a single device which would integrate with more than one car brand. The investment required and the limited addressable market for that investment result in nobody really trying.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Your little conspiracy doesnt even make a lick of sense -- there is no "selling" CarPlay, it's already baked into each iphone, and Apple doesnt sell CarPlay head units.
    Not a big tinfoil head myself, but obviously Apple does get payed by manufacturiers for the privilege of adding CarPlay compatibility. Just like MFi – Made For iOS on compatible cables etc – doesn't come for free. I never had expected Apple to squeese out every last penny on those but they've done quite some effort the last decade to make it hard for others and their customers to use non-Apple loader cables.

Personally I think it's one thing to sell € 850 iPhones but another to ask $ 30 or $ 35 for a simple USB cable and adaper for it, as they did at some point. Considering most iPhone users buy at least a few of those in the lifespan of their device, this becomes an a billion dollar market at these prices.

Not sure if the price of a licence is what this is about though. Very little people will replace their car radio and spend $ 350+ on it, just to get CarPlay in an often older, used car. Plus, the functionality can be had for so much less.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I cling to my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 with life time factory warranty (only available in Florida and Hawaii by the way) so I am out of the Car Play world so I occasionally look at these third party articles.  What puzzled me is (and this is nothing aimed at Apple, rather all in-dash maps) how looking at a map while driving that is situated in the dash is any safer than texting?  You cannot use your peripheral vision to see the road ahead whilst looking down there (assuming the brain could actually multi-task which it can't).  I've obviously had to rely on a good old fashioned Garmin for years which at least is up on the windscreen and allows me to still sort of see ahead while glancing at it.  Obviously the ideal would be something akin to a fighter pilots' HUD and but for the fact we won't even be driving our own cars in a few years that was probably under development.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    StrangeDays said:
    No idea what you're on about. My car doesnt have CarPlay and my iPhone works fine with it over BT. it even operates in Siri Eyes Free mode so i can just give commands.

I'm not sure it's a conspiracy, so much as aiming Siri more at people walking around on the streets, while assuming CarPlay covers drivers.

I don't have BT, so I've got mine plugged in via 3.5mm via Aux in. It doesn't properly route audio, and you can't control it via Siri for anything really important (like answer a call).

If you know a secret to getting it working that I don't, I'm all ears. :)
    laptopleon said:
    Not sure if the price of a licence is what this is about though. Very little people will replace their car radio and spend $ 350+ on it, just to get CarPlay in an often older, used car. Plus, the functionality can be had for so much less.
    Yep, that's my point. CarPlay is, at least for the foreseeable future, an expensive novelty. I'd like my iPhone to be more useful in my car without spending several hundred $ for a speciality stereo unit, or for that matter, in any car I happen to be driving. And, I don't really see why it couldn't be better.

Again, I was somewhat shocked Siri can't answer a phone call. I'd have expected that to be feature #1 when Siri was released... and how many years later is it?