Watch: See iOS 11's Do Not Disturb While Driving feature in action

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple hopes to make the roads safer with this fall's release of iOS 11, which will automatically disable notifications when in a car thanks to a new feature called Do Not Disturb While Driving. Here's how it will work.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Soli

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) They did a great job with "CYA" feature. It's useful without feeling too invasive. So much so that I haven't seen fit to disable it.

2) (Apologizes if this was talked about in the video since I have volume right now and there's no CC so I was going only by the video: In the Bluetooth setting under Do Not Disturb you can have it set to enable when it's connected to your car's BT. Even if you're still in the driveway, before ever putting it in park the message will appear. I'm curious how it knows which BT devices are your car since my iPhone is almost always connected to some BT device. Is there a "automobile" bit with the BT ID or do they have to keep a local DB of all the MAC addresses that are used by automobiles? 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    One thing I've not seen yet about the Do Not Disturb While Driving functionality is whether like the original Do Not Disturb it only really applies when the phone is locked.

How does it work if you are driving with the phone unlocked running a navigation app for example - do notifications and phone calls still come through?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    wildcat_1wildcat_1 Posts: 10member
    So, while in DND while Driving mode, would the phone still alert you to directions, if you have a route set in map for navigation or will it stop those as well ? I'm hoping it would still route directions through and Mao but have the ability to lock out everything else

Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 12
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    wildcat_1 said:
    So, while in DND while Driving mode, would the phone still alert you to directions, if you have a route set in map for navigation or will it stop those as well ? I'm hoping it would still route directions through and Mao but have the ability to lock out everything else

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure it only disables phone calls and texts. Disabling navigation while driving would defeat the biggest purpose of navigation to begin with.
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 5 of 12
    davemcm76 said:
    One thing I've not seen yet about the Do Not Disturb While Driving functionality is whether like the original Do Not Disturb it only really applies when the phone is locked.

How does it work if you are driving with the phone unlocked running a navigation app for example - do notifications and phone calls still come through?
    With directions active, connected to Bluetooth, and  driving a few messages did come through without any of “You will not receive any messages while driving” notifications. Then I got them as messages came in and I checked the device. I’m guessing the latter is the intended result. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    wildcat_1 said:

Thanks
    Driving directions were not affected.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    pk22901pk22901 Posts: 153member
    Anyone have a name for the video person? I like his quick clear videos and think he's doing a good job. Bravo.
    vadimyuryev
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Soli said:
    1) They did a great job with "CYA" feature. It's useful without feeling too invasive. So much so that I haven't seen fit to disable it.

2) (Apologizes if this was talked about in the video since I have volume right now and there's no CC so I was going only by the video: In the Bluetooth setting under Do Not Disturb you can have it set to enable when it's connected to your car's BT. Even if you're still in the driveway, before ever putting it in park the message will appear. I'm curious how it knows which BT devices are your car since my iPhone is almost always connected to some BT device. Is there a "automobile" bit with the BT ID or do they have to keep a local DB of all the MAC addresses that are used by automobiles? 
    I'm not sure if there are certain identifiers that bluetooth systems identify with during pairing - as soon as I enter my Fiat 500x, a Google Maps notification tells me how long it'll take me to get home. Conversely, it doesn't tell me about navigation when one of my "Tile"s are within bluetooth range or when I switch on a nearby bluetooth speaker.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    All the descriptions of this gloss over how the feature determines if its in a moving car...

Most of them make some vague mention of Bluetooth.  But, is it ALL Bluetooth enabled radios or are there requirements for particular setups?   

Also:  What if you connect to your radio via USB/Lightening instead of Bluetooth (so you can charge the phone while using maps and listening to Apple Music).  For myself, I seldom connect via bluetooth in the car because I use that opportunity to charge the phone.

And, is it able to distinguish the phone used by the driver vs one used by a passenger?

Depending on the answers, this feature could be the world's greatest safety feature that can't be used in real life... 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    All the descriptions of this gloss over how the feature determines if its in a moving car...

Most of them make some vague mention of Bluetooth.  But, is it ALL Bluetooth enabled radios or are there requirements for particular setups?   

Also:  What if you connect to your radio via USB/Lightening instead of Bluetooth (so you can charge the phone while using maps and listening to Apple Music).  For myself, I seldom connect via bluetooth in the car because I use that opportunity to charge the phone.

And, is it able to distinguish the phone used by the driver vs one used by a passenger?

Depending on the answers, this feature could be the world's greatest safety feature that can't be used in real life... 
    We talked about this in the text review of the feature. The feature doesn't rely on a CarPlay connection. It'll use LTE tower location, Wi-Fi, and other sensors to see if the car is moving. It pops up a dialog when the car is moving past about 13mph to re-enable notifications if you're not the driver. Obviously, it takes your word for it.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

wildcat_1 said:

Thanks
    Yes, navigation continues, as does music playback. It just disables notifications.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member

wildcat_1 said:

Thanks
    Yes, navigation continues, as does music playback. It just disables notifications.
    This is one of the reasons I prefer text with photos rather than videos for conveying information. Two people asked the same question, even though it was explained in the video. Apparently the message got lost in the medium.

Short snippets of video are fine for demonstrating things that involve changes over time, but in general I find it more convenient to work through a body of text (with pictures) at my own pace than to watch a video that requires my full attention without interruption. With a video, when something catches my attention that makes me pause to think for a moment, I miss what's being said/shown while I'm inside my own head because it carries on without me. I may not even be aware that I've missed something. That doesn't happen with text.

Plus video chews through an order of magnitude more of my data allotment than a "conventional" article.