Rumor: Apple intends to replace Touch ID fingerprint scanner with advanced facial recognit...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    This seems rife with practically issues. I also personally don't want to lose fingerprint ID for some fragile face recognition. The fingerprint feature works very well and is very convenient for semi-secure password and unlock functionality. I have no desire to change my usage of my devices to accommodate what Apple or anyone else thinks about ambient light, how much I'm squinting, what face I'm making, what angle I hold the device...
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 42 of 91
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    With facial recognition only authetication, you need to bring your face and phone close to the point of sale terminal to initiate NFC Applepay payment.. Now you know, facial recognition only won't work.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 43 of 91
    Apple will not "replace" Touch ID with facial recognition.
    That is just virtually not possible, due to it being prone to problems, the touch id lacks.
    At the worst case, they might ADD it to the existing touch id tech, but replacing it would just be like shooting your own arm, because sleeves of your shirt need holes for ventilation.
    I mean, come on, how would you use facial recognition in the darkness? IR diodes? Ok, fine, but you would have to turn your phone toward your face precisely, so that the camera array can "see" your face. That is real convenient! What happens when your phone has happened to register someone else's face (by accident). Would it consider it to be false attempt or would it just ignore it?
    There is just too many ways this could go wrong, while offering no discernible benefit over the existing touch ID auth tech.
    Facial recognition that picks up the bloodflow patters of the face is already developed and used... dark glasses and even wearing a nylon stocking over your face can't fool it... a beard is no problem either... can't be fooled by a photograph...
    calibaconstang
  • Reply 44 of 91
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Face recognition.  It's called face recognition.  Facial recognition is a subset, and cannot by itself be used as a means of biometric authentication.  I'll give everyone on this forum $1 if Apple comes on stage, ever, and uses the term facial recognition, by itself, to describe biometric authentication, without also including the term face recognition.  

FACIAL recognition says, this face is angled in this manner, or this face is smiling, or this face is showing some particular emotion.  But facial recognition does not say, this face belongs to John Smith.  That's a task performed by FACE recognition algorithms.  Yeah, it's my pet peeve, because, oh, I don't know, maybe because my brother had something to do with inventing the technology many many years ago.  There are those who know, and there are those who mistakenly use the term facial recognition to talk about biometric authentication.  Sheesh. 
    edited July 2017 anton zuykovasdasd
  • Reply 45 of 91
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I doubt they remove Touch ID or fingerprint sensors. It's what makes Apple Pay work. How would you verify a user? Lean into your phone for facial rec while holding the phone near the reader? 

DOesnt sound like s good solution.  
    m_p_w_84
  • Reply 46 of 91
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Face recognition.  It's called face recognition.  Facial recognition is a subset, and cannot by itself be used as a means of biometric authentication.  I'll give everyone on this forum $1 if Apple comes on stage, ever, and uses the term facial recognition, by itself, to describe biometric authentication, without also including the term face recognition. 
    WWDC/16 "The big news in Photos this year is Advanced Computer Vision," Federighi told the crowd. "We’re applying advanced deep learning techniques to bring facial recognition to the iPhone." 59 minutes in
  • Reply 47 of 91
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    rob53 said:
    I can't see facial recognition working consistently for very many people. I understand how it works but people wear sunglasses and other things that could affect the geometry of the face. I also can't see people holding their phone up to their face and hoping everything works. I thought Samsung's attempt at facial recognition was broken by a simple xerox of the users face. I hope Apple takes their time before they change so they make sure it works all the time and isn't susceptible to even advanced attempts at faking a face to get access. I know people say they're faked fingerprints but they're not as easy as it sounds.
    3d depth information on facial patterns and proprtions solves the probkem of 2d pic trick.
    which can be solved by creating a 3d map of a face on some 3d printer and putting a picture on top. It would be doable with the existing tech.
    Now, retina scanner is what would be much better, because it is very hard to scan it covertly (unlike someone else's face)
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 48 of 91
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

FACIAL recognition says, this face is angled in this manner, or this face is smiling, or this face is showing some particular emotion.  But facial recognition does not say, this face belongs to John Smith.  That's a task performed by FACE recognition algorithms.  Yeah, it's my pet peeve, because, oh, I don't know, maybe because my brother had something to do with inventing the technology many many years ago.  There are those who know, and there are those who mistakenly use the term facial recognition to talk about biometric authentication.  Sheesh. 
    I think you've brought up the terminology argument in the past, and within the field itself I have no doubt there are terms that need to be used a certain way, but from the user's perspective I think this is pretty much a language battle you can't win. Hell, have you every looked up a cappella versions of songs on YouTube or the internet, in general. I'm pretty sure that acapella will become an accepted spelling in my lifetime.

baconstangradarthekatRayz2016
  • Reply 49 of 91
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Will you be able to scan your face multiple times, like you can scan multiple fingers?
    I would definitely need 'before' and 'after' coffee scans.
    jahajasuddenly newton
  • Reply 50 of 91
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    That is just virtually not possible, due to it being prone to problems, the touch id lacks.
    At the worst case, they might ADD it to the existing touch id tech, but replacing it would just be like shooting your own arm, because sleeves of your shirt need holes for ventilation.
    I mean, come on, how would you use facial recognition in the darkness? IR diodes? Ok, fine, but you would have to turn your phone toward your face precisely, so that the camera array can "see" your face. That is real convenient! What happens when your phone has happened to register someone else's face (by accident). Would it consider it to be false attempt or would it just ignore it?
    There is just too many ways this could go wrong, while offering no discernible benefit over the existing touch ID auth tech.
    Facial recognition that picks up the bloodflow patters of the face is already developed and used... dark glasses and even wearing a nylon stocking over your face can't fool it... a beard is no problem either... can't be fooled by a photograph...
    "Facial recognition that picks up the bloodflow patters of the face is already developed and used... dark glasses"
    Could you provide some source? If that tech is dependent on IR, glass will certainly fool it. 
  • Reply 51 of 91
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    You'd have thought by reading some of these forum comments that the article was titled:

Rumor: Apple intends to replace Touch ID fingerprint scanner with disappointment and failure.

radarthekatRayz2016
  • Reply 52 of 91
    You know shit about what Apple has been working on. 

Prepare to be wrong. Apple is replacing Touch ID with something even better, which is tall order considering Touch ID is unmatched world-class technology. 
  • Reply 53 of 91
    I'm skeptical, especially the part about it not even needing to be facing you directly. In that scenario, someone could steal you're phone, (pick it up from table while you're not looking for example) and unlock it in an instant by holding it up in range of your face without you noticing. Doesn't seem very "secure" to me.
  • Reply 54 of 91
    gatorguy said:
    WWDC/16 "The big news in Photos this year is Advanced Computer Vision," Federighi told the crowd. "We’re applying advanced deep learning techniques to bring facial recognition to the iPhone." 59 minutes in
    lol, I'll take my $1 by paypal please.  :D
  • Reply 55 of 91
    Facial recognition doesn't work in the dark.  Not a replacement for touch ID
    asdasdanton zuykov
  • Reply 56 of 91
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    I'm not sure I want Siri to know what I really look like...
    It might spoil the romance.
    suddenly newtonanton zuykov
  • Reply 57 of 91
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    You know shit about what Apple has been working on. 

Prepare to be wrong. Apple is replacing Touch ID with something even better, which is tall order considering Touch ID is unmatched world-class technology. 
    Oh. So he doesn't know what Apple has been working on, but you do. Cool. 
    lorin schultzanton zuykov
  • Reply 58 of 91
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    adm1 said:
    I'm skeptical, especially the part about it not even needing to be facing you directly. In that scenario, someone could steal you're phone, (pick it up from table while you're not looking for example) and unlock it in an instant by holding it up in range of your face without you noticing. Doesn't seem very "secure" to me.
    Yeah. Also privacy for twins is gone. 
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 59 of 91
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So how does one use facial recognition in retail stores for Apple Pay? 
    m_p_w_84
  • Reply 60 of 91
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    adm1 said:
    gatorguy said:
    lol, I'll take my $1 by paypal please.  :D
    You'll be collecting no dollar from me.  Ha!  The example Gatorguy pointed to strengthens my argument.  Federighi said "...face facial..." he first said the correct word but then stumbled and misspoke.  Also, he did not use the term 'facial recognition' in context of biometric authentication, as I stated in my challenge.  But the biggest reason my position is bolstered is the text presented in the slide Federighi is referring to.  He may have slipped on stage in his speaking, but you can be certain the folks who put those slides together and vetted them likely multiple times before the presentation knew which term to use.  And which term did they use?  I'll let you see for yourself.

[drops the mic]

edited July 2017