Unhappy with 'iPhone 8' rumors? Apple will still offer new iPhones with Touch ID this fall...

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2017
Apple giveth, and Apple taketh away -- and the latest "iPhone 8" rumors suggest that Touch ID could be leaving with the top-end device. But even if the widely feared (yet still unconfirmed) scenario does actually take place, you've still got options.

A lot of fresh information popped out of the rumor mill on Monday, regarding the "iPhone 8" and Touch ID.

Looking at the rumor, though, AppleInsider staff are still not sure why Apple would ditch Touch ID less than a year after migrating it to macOS in the 2016 MacBook Pro line. Given that Touch ID is what brought the banking industry to the table in the first place, it remains unclear how they would keep that support if they suddenly shifted to a new authentication method.

Some earlier rumors suggested that the sensor would be on the back of the phone. In the AppleInsider forums and among our editorial team, that doesn't appear to be a popular choice.

However, AppleInsider forum-goers aren't Apple's "typical" customer anymore, and haven't been since the iPhone really took off after Tim Cook took command at Apple. What the "devout" likes and is impassioned about, isn't always what Apple wants, or the larger customer base is seeking.

From floppy drives to FireWire to headphone jacks, Apple has a history of controversially removing features in order to streamline its products for reasons only clear to itself at the time. But whether Touch ID appears in this year's flagship "iPhone 8" or not, the fingerprint-based technology is not going anywhere just yet.

There is another...

Less talked about, but still (presumably) imminent is the fact that 2017 is a "S" year. The end of the year is still expected to see the "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus." If the diminutive A10X Fusion in the iPad Pro is any indication, an "A11" should still drive it with all the features that the iPhone 7 has, just faster.

The "iPhone 7s" rumors suggest the lineup will retain all the features of its predecessor, including Touch ID on the front, a dual camera for the larger 5.5-inch model, and perhaps most importantly for iOS 11, still be ARKit compatible.
Sometimes, the right tool is the fastest and newest thing Apple can bring to bear. Sometimes it isn't.
Another option for the truly reluctant to deal with Apple's rumored feature thievery or relocation is the iPhone SE, which isn't going anywhere after receiving a capacity bump earlier this year. Not only does it have a front-mounted Touch ID sensor, but it has a headphone jack -- and it's compatible with iOS 11 and ARKit too.

Right tool, for the right job

When the iPhone was released a decade ago, you basically had one choice.

One iPhone, one choice
One iPhone, one choice

Right now, Apple has three screen sizes, spanning three models. There are the 4-inch iPhone SE with A9, the A9-powered iPhone 6s family in 4.7- and 5.5-inch screens, and the A10 Fusion iPhone 7 family with the same screen sizes as the iPhone 6s.

The "iPhone 8" could widen that even further, likely at the expense of a large-format iPhone 6s with a headphone jack -- but the latter will still be available for a while from the carriers.

It's also important to note that the "iPhone 8" is still unannounced. The rumor mill and "noted analysts" have been wrong before -- this time last year, they said the iPhone 7 would be uninteresting and not a compelling update from the iPhone 6 family.

And last year the rumor mill was right about the headphone jack disappearing, but that didn't stop the device from reaching record setting sales when it launched last fall.

Line for the iPhone 7, in New York City
Line for the iPhone 7, in New York City

Sometimes, the right tool is the fastest and newest thing Apple can bring to bear. Sometimes it isn't. For this reason, Apple still offers the 2015 MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.0 Type A ports to users, even after the 2017 refresh. The company even sold its legacy non-Retina MacBook Pro with a disc drive until the summer of 2016.

Similarly, Apple will likely still offer the iPhone 7 when this fall's new lineups launch. And there will also probably be an "iPhone 7s" series, and the iPhone SE -- all with a front-mounted Touch ID sensor, even if fingerprint scanning is moved or killed entirely in the "iPhone 8."

Stop us if you've heard this before -- between price and feature changes, sometimes the newest thing from Cupertino isn't the best choice for all consumers at that particular moment. The "iPhone 8" is no exception to that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Apple understands the stakes if it releases half-baked features. They are the most scrutinized, most criticized company in tech. I prefer to wait for iPhone "8" to fail before declaring it a disappointment. Anything less is prejudice.
    edited July 2017 StrangeDaysdoozydozenbdkennedy1002radarthekatstevenoz
  • Reply 2 of 25
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    It's mind-boggling that a legit Apple blog would pay any attention to this absurd rumor.  You think there is any kind of chance that Apple would use an inferior security tech for its flagship anniversary phone?  I feel dumber for even posting that question.
    edited July 2017 janiceandrustymattinozbdkennedy1002radarthekatpropodtallest skilMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    igorsky said:
    It's mind-boggling that a legit Apple blog would pay any attention to this absurd rumor.  You think there is any kind of chance that Apple would use an inferior security tech for its flagship anniversary phone?  I feel dumber for even posting that question.
    I'm not certain that you read this piece for comprehension.
    StrangeDaysnate5346jSnivelySolidoozydozenKawhiUCONNbeowulfschmidtfastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 25
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Sounds to me like the second gen Pro/Anniversary/whatever will be the one to buy, as is often the case. I'm happy to stick with a 7 until then. 
    bb-15doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 25
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I still miss the iPhone 4 size... small and compact.
    baconstang
  • Reply 6 of 25
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    netrox said:
    Coincidentally have them laying together here at this moment, the iPhone 4 and the SE that is. The SE is only a little "longer", rest the same.
    So a good choice for you? For me it is!
    bb-15baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    netrox said:
    You should have said something when everyone else was wailing that Apple would go bust without a phablet. 
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    netrox said:
    I have a 7 Plus, but my SE is my prime mover. Try one for a few days, see what you think.
    bb-15doozydozenbaconstang
  • Reply 9 of 25
    themacmanthemacman Posts: 151member
    It's not about having Touch ID compatible devices. This as about having faith in the technology's future  that so many have invested in in such a short span of time. If Touch ID is not included in the iPhone 8, me thinks Apple Pay wouldn't continue to thrive.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    igorsky said:
    I read the first paragraph, which I instantly regretted.  All good though...still love you guys. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 25
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    themacman said:
    It's not about having Touch ID compatible devices. This as about having faith in the technology's future  that so many have invested in in such a short span of time. If Touch ID is not included in the iPhone 8, me thinks Apple Pay wouldn't continue to thrive.
    Touch ID has become a key feature for iOS and is being introduced on the Mac. 
    Imo it would be a huge mistake for Touch ID to not be included on the iPhone 8/X/Edition.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Why the heck should anyone pay attention to some rumor being spread by some third-party? For Apple, security is extremely important and Apple would likely make a gradual transition from TouchID to some other form of security. The fingerprint is still the most reliable and dependable form of ID, so it just makes sense for Apple to continue using it until they found some secure tech that equalled or exceeded it. I wish these doofus rumor-spreaders could be held responsible for their inaccurate claims about some Apple product. It's completely unnecessary for them to be spreading any product feature rumors based on supply chain information. It doesn't help anyone in a positive sense. It's unlikely any smart investor would trade on unconfirmed rumors? I think they wouldn't.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    igorsky said:
    igorsky said:
    I read the first paragraph, which I instantly regretted.  All good though...still love you guys. 
    After only reading the 1st paragraph you thought your opinion was justified enough to waste your time and others with an asinine comment? Get your shit together.
    anomefastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 25
    igorsky said:
    Either way, you can definitely tell why Steve Jobs chose Tim Cook as the new CEO- nether had intention to get married. If I missed my wife's 10 year anniversary, I'd be in the dog house. It's really a shame because the 10th year Anniversary Gift is supposed to be Aluminum. For the 11th Year Anniversary, the iPhone will likely be made of steel...
  • Reply 15 of 25
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

Wasn't it AI's favourite analyst - Ming-chi, that reported the disappearance of the TouchId?

Apple wouldn't have incorporated TouchId to the Mac if it was going to disappear soon.

It looks more and more likely that Apple has pulled off a major engineering feat and have incorporated TouchId into the glass.

• Reply 16 of 25
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    More than likely the iPhone 8 edition, will be some type of 20th anniversary mac thing with some futuristic pretensions. They probably will have the 3D facial recognition and if so it is sure to be groundbreaking and remarkable and expensive, and if it works as they hope it will trickle down eventually. 
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 17 of 25
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Why the heck should anyone pay attention to some rumor being spread by some third-party? For Apple, security is extremely important and Apple would likely make a gradual transition from TouchID to some other form of security. The fingerprint is still the most reliable and dependable form of ID, so it just makes sense for Apple to continue using it until they found some secure tech that equalled or exceeded it. I wish these doofus rumor-spreaders could be held responsible for their inaccurate claims about some Apple product. It's completely unnecessary for them to be spreading any product feature rumors based on supply chain information. It doesn't help anyone in a positive sense. It's unlikely any smart investor would trade on unconfirmed rumors? I think they wouldn't.
    Some rumours are legit - meaning at least based on some facts - just not always all the facts (e.g. based on a prototype which does not become the production model).  There has been a lot of rumours around the issues of putting a "touch ID like sensor underneath the glass".  Ming isn't always right, but he clearly has supply chain sources and is basing the note on that - perhaps that a vendor that would have provided such sensor tech is not being used (always possible that another vendor is).

I am like most here - I find it extremely difficult to believe that Apple would go with a phone that either did away with "a form of fingerprint recognition" in the home button location, or moved it to the back of the phone.  I can't see how this would improve the user experience.  That said, Apple has (almost) always made the right decisions, and knowing how much is on the line with any new iPhone, I will wait and see.

Not being someone who upgrades that often, and having a 7, I wasn't going to buy an "iPhone 8 / X / 7s" anyways, but am more interested in Apple moving things forward.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    igorsky said:

You owe me a new keyboard...
  • Reply 19 of 25
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    I've got a Surface Pro 4 and I can tell you the facial recognition with Windows Hello works much more reliably for me than the touch ID on my iPhone 6+.  It has 3D scanning and infrared so low-light activation is not an issue.  While I would prefer to have the option of both on the new iPhone, if Apple implements it right it won't be a problem at all to drop the fingerprint reader.

We'll see how it goes, but it is sounding more and more like Apple has limited expectations for the iPhone 8 and is going to try for the Burberry experience by moving it upscale as a special edition rather than their primary product.  I don't know how well that will work though.  Tim Cook has already gone on record saying the drop in iPhone sales last quarter is attributable to pent up demand for the new product.  They need a bonafide hit to meet investor expectations for continued growth.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    The iPhone is by far Apple's most important product, Touch ID one of its best features, and privacy and security is an aspect and feature that Apple touts above everything else. Does everyone REALLY think that Apple is just going to scrap Touch ID and replace it with a half-baked, unreliable feature? Give me a fucking break. Apple knows what the fuck it's doing and what the stakes are, if they have any kind of face recognition that they would have worked out all the kinks and made sure it's at LEAST as good as Touch ID before launching it. 
    Metriacanthosaurussuddenly newton