Questionable report claims Apple shipping 'influx' of next-gen iPhones with Touch ID on ba...

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2017
Confusion and misdirection for Apple's 2017 iPhone lineup continues to persist, with the latest claimed leak dubiously suggesting an "influx" of iPhone units with rear Touch ID sensors have been shipping. But there is plenty of reason to be skeptical about the latest claims.

Via Benjamin Geskin.

Parts leaker Benjamin Geskin shared the details on Twitter on Wednesday, but even he showed skepticism toward the latest details. The image shows a pallet of smartphone front panels, featuring slimmer but not edge-to-edge bezels.

A note accompanying the image claims to be from a shipping company employee who allegedly does safety inspections on batteries. The person says they opened the box in question during a customs and safety inspection, and that the units were en route to Apple.

"Lately we've seen a huge influx of the iPhones with the Touch ID on the back, probably a few pallets per day," they wrote.

Geskin suggsted on Twitter that he does not believe the handsets pictured will be Apple's "iPhone 8." Instead, he tweeted a mockup of what he believes will be this fall's flagship "iPhone 8," featuring a truly edge-to-edge display.

"I hate getting these," Geskin wrote of the latest alleged leak. "But I think it's interesting for you to see."

Various leaks over the last few months have suggested that Apple could move the Touch ID fingerprint sensor to the back of the device on this year's iPhones. Doing so would allow for a larger display, but could also affect the convenience and ease of use of the current Touch ID home button implementation.

Schematics, mockups and leaked parts have suggested the new Touch ID location could be located underneath the Apple logo on the back of the handset. But because the images simply show a home button-like circle on the back, it's also possible that the design element could be something other than a Touch ID sensor, such as a contact point for inductive charging.

Responding to Wednesday's latest details, some on Twitter wondered if the leaks showing Touch ID on the back of the device could be for a so-called "iPhone 7s" model. It is believed that Apple will introduce three new iPhones this year: A flagship "iPhone 8" with an edge-to-edge OLED display, and an "iPhone 7s" lineup in sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches that will look largely the same as the iPhone 7 series.

No rumors thus far have suggested the "iPhone 7s" models will see major changes from the iPhone 7 and prior, which casts some doubt on the prospect of moving Touch ID to the back of the device.

Matters are even more murky with the "iPhone 8" after a pair of reports from earlier this week suggested Apple may ditch Touch ID entirely in favor of facial recognition. Using advanced cameras, Apple is said to be looking to replace the fingerprint sensing biometrics currently found on iPhones with a system that could identify a user's face, even when the phone is laying down on a table.

Apple's trio of new iPhones are expected to be announced in September, launching to customers this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    This is NOT happening. Period.
    badassbriggspscooter63caliSpamSandwichMetriacanthosaurusdaica85
  • Reply 2 of 52
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    Yawn
    ZZZZzzzzzzzz

mwhitebadassbriggs
  • Reply 3 of 52
    Apple plans to stoke excitement by renaming it Grope ID.
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 4 of 52
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I'm not buying the rumors of Touch ID on the back of the iPhone. Apple wouldn't do something like that. 
    caliMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 5 of 52
    sully54sully54 Posts: 108member
    In the past, when rumours are this persistent, they end up being true. 
  • Reply 6 of 52
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I'm not buying the rumors of Touch ID on the back of the iPhone. Apple wouldn't do something like that. 
    No choice if the screen doesnt work as touchID. Face recognition isnt a solution. 
    radarthekatbb-15
  • Reply 7 of 52
    I remember the leaks of the first camera that wasnt flush. Nobody believed that either.
    badassbriggsvlscout[Deleted User]
  • Reply 8 of 52
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    That looks like the display panel for a 7S.  I wonder if Apple is moving the Touch ID to the back so they can increase the LCD screen size and have contextual buttons (a touch bar) across all their models.  If they are facing AMOLED display panel yield issues and a corresponding shortage of the iPhone 8 it would make sense for them to beef up the 7S model to make it more desirable for existing owners to upgrade to.
    edited July 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 9 of 52
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    asdasd said:
    I remember the leaks of the first camera that wasnt flush. Nobody believed that either.
    The Camera bump isn't a user interface issue; it's just a 0.020 inch protrusion that's barely an annoyance in the worst case..

There will be no Touch ID on the backside; it would be an acknowledged failure to place it there.

So, if Apple is relying on 3D Facial recognition, then it will have to be superior to Touch ID, and more secure.

Still, this is all rumors, so I'll be happy to be proven right or wrong when Apple actually announces said product, whatever it will be called.

caliStrangeDaysMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 10 of 52
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    sully54 said:
    And how does that work out when there are persistent contradictory rumors?  Have there not been persistent rumors that the touch ID would be under the front glass?
    radarthekat
  • Reply 11 of 52
    At the end of the day we're all going to line up and buy one regardless to where the Touch ID is. As bad of a mistake it may be to move it to the back, when the iPhone 8 or 7S or X or SE 2 or Anniversary Edition drops we'll be there with our wallets open and hands out. We're all disappointed every year by one dumb thing they do with the phone. Like release the 6 and 6 plus for a 3rd year in a row. If I had to bet I'd say we're looking at some dumb Oppo phone parts. Whatever it is it won't drive me away from the platform. Period. 
  • Reply 12 of 52
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    No Touch ID on the back. The worst idea.
    Inductive magnetic snap-on port, ok though.
    Touch ID is great cuz it works without concealing your face. Works in the dark etc. Face recognition is cool, but is it as safe? does it get it right even though your face is full of beard one day, and then not the next day? While you're continuously talking, or do you have to freeze pause and make a neutral passport face?
  • Reply 13 of 52
    tmay said:
    asdasd said:
    The Camera bump isn't a user interface issue; it's just a 0.020 inch protrusion that's barely an annoyance in the worst case..

There will be no Touch ID on the backside; it would be an acknowledged failure to place it there.

So, if Apple is relying on 3D Facial recognition, then it will have to be superior to Touch ID, and more secure.

Still, this is all rumors, so I'll be happy to be proven right or wrong when Apple actually announces said product, whatever it will be called.

There were people strongly doubting it on this forum nevertheless. "Apple would never do that."

Apple has to do what it has to do. It they want to go full screen, and if the touch doesnt work under the screen, it goes on the back. Face Recognition is a far worse solution.

It might be ok, could get used to picking it up and running your index finger (it wont be the thumb for most people anymore).  Actually I think the idea spot for that would be where the Apple logo is now. 
  • Reply 14 of 52
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    At the end of the day we're all going to line up and buy one regardless to where the Touch ID is.
    Because the only (partially) reasonable alternative is to go with an Android phone.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    sully54sully54 Posts: 108member
    williamh said:
    sully54 said:
    And how does that work out when there are persistent contradictory rumors?  Have there not been persistent rumors that the touch ID would be under the front glass?
    These are your contradictory rumours. The fact that these rumours just won't die could mean that there's some truth to them. FWIW, all we have of the bezel-less iPhone 8 are dummy mock ups while these are actual display assemblies. 

i do hope I'm wrong. I'm just pointing out that historically, when rumours are this persistent, they tend to be true. 
  • Reply 16 of 52
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    sully54 said:

Except for the fact that the rumors are going back and forth regarding this issue and it seems to be split between "on the back" and "under the display".

People need to take into account that the "Home" button is a lot more than just Touch ID. Several functions need to find a new home (pun intended) if the "Home" button goes away...

1. Getting back to the "Home" screen.
    2. Invoking Siri
    3. Invoking Touch ID - not just for unlocking, but also for Apple Pay.
    4. And there are other Accessibility functions (I triple click to bring up the magnifying feature). Not to mention it gives vision impaired people a physical button to jump to a starting point when things go haywire.

If we look at how Apple implemented Touch ID originally, we can probably guess what they'll do... We didn't have to do anything new to make use of it - They placed right where we already pressed our finger. And they'll do the same thing if the physical "Home" button goes away. It'll be in the exact same position it is now. The UI will present a software "Home" button and with 3D Touch they can add many of the same features simply by the "depth" of the press. (For the blind, they will make use of their "Taptic" engine to let them "feel" when their finger slides over the button.) Furthermore, with the fingerprint scanner under the display, they can make the scanning area larger.
    pscooter63sully54radarthekat
  • Reply 17 of 52
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

My thinking is possibly Apple IS going to have TouchID on the rear of the phone and use both facial recognition and TouchID to verify you are who you are. So while you're holding your phone so the phone can recognize you, its also scanning your fingerprint as well. The home button could still be within the screen, but the sensor for your finger will be on the rear. As @mjtomlin said, the Home button has many other functions besides TouchID so while the sensor may be on the rear, I can't see how Apple can put the entire home button on the rear. 

But....we'll just have to wait and see how Apple does this. I don't really pay too much attention to iPhone rumors because they're so wishy washy anyways, as are rumors in general. I'd rather just wait until Sept/Oct when the damn thing comes out instead of getting my panties in a bunch over a rumor that will be contradicted the next day. 

Either way, I'm gonna buy a new iPhone when it comes out regardless of what they come out with and I think many others will do the same. Apple kinda proved in a way that they can make bold decisions, such as removing headphone jacks and while there will be a few that whine and complain, the vast majority didn't care in the end and bought it anyways. This is what I like about Apple. They're willing to take risks and most of the time they succeed and sometimes they fail and a failure doesn't mean the company is doomed...it just part of taking risks, something most other tech companies don't do. They're followers, not leaders. 
    edited July 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 52
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    macxpress said:

My thinking is possibly Apple IS going to have TouchID on the rear of the phone and use both facial recognition and TouchID to verify you are who you are. So while you're holding your phone so the phone can recognize you, its also scanning your fingerprint as well. The home button could still be within the screen, but the sensor for your finger will be on the rear. As @mjtomlin said, the Home button has many other functions besides TouchID so while the sensor may be on the rear, I can't see how Apple can put the entire home button on the rear. 

But....we'll just have to wait and see how Apple does this. I don't really pay too much attention to iPhone rumors because they're so wishy washy anyways, as are rumors in general. I'd rather just wait until Sept/Oct when the damn thing comes out instead of getting my panties in a bunch over a rumor that will be contradicted the next day. 

Either way, I'm gonna buy a new iPhone when it comes out regardless of what they come out with and I think many others will do the same. Apple kinda proved in a way that they can make bold decisions, such as removing headphone jacks and while there will be a few that whine and complain, the vast majority didn't care in the end and bought it anyways. This is what I like about Apple. They're willing to take risks and most of the time they succeed and sometimes they fail and a failure doesn't mean the company is doomed...it just part of taking risks, something most other tech companies don't do. They're followers, not leaders. 
    When/if the first iPhone case arrives with a hole in the back (not where the Apple logo is), I'll pay attention.
    edited July 2017 radarthekat
  • Reply 19 of 52
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    asdasd said:
    tmay said:
    asdasd said:

There were people strongly doubting it on this forum nevertheless. "Apple would never do that."

Apple has to do what it has to do. It they want to go full screen, and if the touch doesnt work under the screen, it goes on the back. Face Recognition is a far worse solution.

It might be ok, could get used to picking it up and running your index finger (it wont be the thumb for most people anymore).  Actually I think the idea spot for that would be where the Apple logo is now. 
    Front or back doesn't matter. Between the two, the only difference is that of preference. I very much doubt that many of the people slating rear placed sensors have actually used one except for a few minutes in a store.

I don't think the sensor will be on the rear but agree that the most suitable position, if the rumour were true, would be where the Apple logo is now and it would be un-Apple to not place the sensor inside the logo. That is enough for me to doubt this rumour, along with the fact that underscreen sensors are already a technological reality and numerous manufacturers are said to have phones lined up with the tech for the end of the year.
    edited July 2017 caliasdasd
  • Reply 20 of 52
    macxpress said:

Agreed. Touch ID could likely work just fine on the back if it's used as a back-up for face recognition.

Face recognition, if it's good enough, may even be preferable to Touch ID for routine unlocking. Apple has been learning 'raise to wake' patterns since iOS 7. They could easily implement 'raise to scan', so that by the time you're even looking at the screen it's ready to go, and you can just force press to unlock wherever your thumb happens to be on the screen. I never pick up my iPhone with my thumb on the Touch ID sensor. It's always a (slight) adjustment to put my thumb over the Touch ID sensor, then (a slight) readjust to engage the UI.

tl;dr:
    Touch ID: pick up phone, adjust hand to activate Touch ID, readjust hand to engage UI
    Face recognition: pick up phone, force press anywhere (that's it, no hand adjustments needed  ..and no accidentally unlocking your phone before you get a chance to read your notifications)
    radarthekat