Rumor: Apple's iPhone wireless charging accessory might not ship with 'iPhone 8,' 'iPhone ...

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2017
Wireless charging is expected make its way to Apple's iPhone lineup this fall, but the tentpole feature might not be ready in time to launch with the next-generation handsets, a new rumor suggests.

In a tweet on Friday, well-connected blogger John Gruber reiterated rumors claiming Apple will not include an inductive charger with "iPhone 8" or "iPhone 7s" and instead plans to sell the accessory as a separate item. Citing unnamed sources, he goes on to say that Apple is having issues implementing wireless charging technology.

"I've heard that inductive charging will (a) be sold separately, and (b) might be late, waiting for iOS 11.1 (a la Portrait mode last year)," Gruber said, adding in a later tweet, "I'm not sure if the holdup is hardware or software. And they could catch up in next three weeks."

As with prior iPhone debuts, Apple's upcoming models are expected to ship with the next-generation iOS version, iOS 11, built in. Gruber's mention of iOS 11.1 suggests wireless charging might not be ready when "iPhone 8" and "iPhone 7s" launch this fall, the operative term being "might." Still, Apple has a couple months to work out the kinks before the anticipated September hardware debut.

Like any unsubstantiated claim, Gruber's missive should be taken with a hefty grain of salt. That said, the blogger's sources have in the past provided accurate information.

Apple is expected to release three new handset models in 2017. A follow-up "iPhone 7s" series set to take the place of current iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models will likely boast the usual assortment of component improvements while keeping external aesthetics largely unchanged.

The real show-stopper, "iPhone 8," is rumored to usher in an entirely new design with full-face OLED display, an embedded below-screen Touch ID module, 3D scanning front-facing cameras and more.

Reports have indicated that both "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 8" will feature wireless charging. Neither model is said to ship with the dedicated accessory required for cord-free charging, leaving it up to customers to decide whether the feature is worth the extra money.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Rumor.  There will be no iPhone 8/10th anniversary edition and the 7S/7S+ will be exactly the same as the 7/7+ except TouchID will be moved to the rear (with just a blank lower bezel still occupying the front of the handset).  /s
    vlscoutslprescottwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 2 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Or maybe it is not a "tentpole", anything, just another feature.

Radarthekat, you forgot the pixie dust dispenser on the front top, that one going to rock our world.
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 3 of 24
    subbiessubbies Posts: 71member
    A phone that can charge wirelessly and the charger won't be in the box? What a load of crap. If it doesn't come with the phen then you can bet your sweet ass I won't be purchasing it for the $100 they will want for it. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 24
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    Rumor.  There will be no iPhone 8/10th anniversary edition and the 7S/7S+ will be exactly the same as the 7/7+ except TouchID will be moved to the rear (with just a blank lower bezel still occupying the front of the handset).  /s
    And sales will drop by 50% ????
    With dozens of 'Apple is Doomed', 'iOS is old, boring and [redacted]' comments here.
    There are a lot of finnicky Apple users around and most of them seem to comment in places like this.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    subbies said:
    A phone that can charge wirelessly and the charger won't be in the box? What a load of crap. If it doesn't come with the phen then you can bet your sweet ass I won't be purchasing it for the $100 they will want for it. 
    Welcome to Samsung-World. Window or Aisle-seat?
    edited July 2017 radarthekatcornchipStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 24
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    It is understandable that wireless charging accessory will be separate from iPhone box but will be delayed is totally baseless. Apple will never do that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    subbies said
    Of course the Wireless Charger will be purchased separately.    Its just like the apple Pencil for the iPad Pro.   They raised the price on the iPadPro $100 (9.7 inch) over the iPad Air 2 and still charged a additional $100 for the Pencil.     Tim Cook's apple raises prices all the time (even if only a little).    When the series two watch came out the price went up $20.   iPad Pro 2 comes out - you want faster charging you have to buy the $50 adapter separately, only the slow charger is included in the box.     And when Apple does implement a wireless charger then it will proprietary like the charger for the watch.    Hopefully one wireless charger will work for the phone and watch.

After all the rumors if apple hasn't implemented the TouchId (fingerprint sensor) through the OLED screen on the iPhone 8 then its not worth it. Save your money till next year.  If they have then its worth it.    If Qualcomm can get some sort of through screen fingerprint scanner working in a demo then Apple has to be able to do the same,   I'm sure they have been working on this technology for atleast 3 years.   I have an 80% confidence about a finger print scanner.

So this year they will sell the iphone 8, 7S, and 7.    Then next year they will sell the iphone 8S Plus, 8S, 8 and 7S?

• Reply 8 of 24
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    foggyhill said:

Radarthekat, you forgot the pixie dust dispenser on the front top, that one going to rock our world.
    I heard a rumor that one question per day you ask of Siri, randomly selected, will be routed to either the Dalai Lama or U2's Bono, but you won't know which question or to which it's routed.  Madonna will be the Dalai Lama's back-up for times he's sleeping.  Bono never sleeps but is sometime busy with charity work, in which case Chuck Norris will be taking your question.  Can't wait for September! 

(If you're 13 or younger, Jeff Goldblum will be answering your question.  That's the only audience who finds him credible.)
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 9 of 24
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    k2kw said:
    subbies said
    Of course the Wireless Charger will be purchased separately.    Its just like the apple Pencil for the iPad Pro.   They raised the price on the iPadPro $100 (9.7 inch) over the iPad Air 2 and still charged a additional $100 for the Pencil.     Tim Cook's apple raises prices all the time (even if only a little).    When the series two watch came out the price went up $20.   iPad Pro 2 comes out - you want faster charging you have to buy the $50 adapter separately, only the slow charger is included in the box.     And when Apple does implement a wireless charger then it will proprietary like the charger for the watch.    Hopefully one wireless charger will work for the phone and watch.

After all the rumors if apple hasn't implemented the TouchId (fingerprint sensor) through the OLED screen on the iPhone 8 then its not worth it. Save your money till next year.  If they have then its worth it.    If Qualcomm can get some sort of through screen fingerprint scanner working in a demo then Apple has to be able to do the same,   I'm sure they have been working on this technology for atleast 3 years.   I have an 80% confidence about a finger print scanner.

So this year they will sell the iphone 8, 7S, and 7.    Then next year they will sell the iphone 8S Plus, 8S, 8 and 7S?

It’s an absolute disgrace that the 12.9” iPad Pro doesn’t ship with a 29W adapter.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    foggyhill said:

I heard a rumor that one question per day you ask of Siri, randomly selected, will be routed to either the Dalai Lama or U2's Bono, but you won't know which question or to which it's routed.  Madonna will be the Dalai Lama's back-up for times he's sleeping.  Bono never sleeps but is sometime busy with charity work, in which case Chuck Norris will be taking your question.  Can't wait for September! 

(If you're 13 or younger, Jeff Goldblum will be answering your question.  That's the only audience who finds him credible.)

Someone figured out the pixie dust dispenser.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 24
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    And then again it might be.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    And sales will drop by 50% ????
    With dozens of 'Apple is Doomed', 'iOS is old, boring and [redacted]' comments here.
    There are a lot of finnicky Apple users around and most of them seem to comment in places like this.

I believe those "finicky" as you put it Apple users are really Android trolls that have nothing better to do with heir time than sign up for Applecentric sites like this and try to throw shade anywhere possible as we approach a new phone release. 

• Reply 13 of 24
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    k2kw said:
    subbies said

Series 1 42mm was 399.00 at launch. I know because I bought and currently use it every day. According to Apple's website the Series 2 42mm is 399.00. It looks like only the 38mm went up 20.00. Not sure what the 20.00 increase is for only one model was for though. 

I do agree with your comments regarding pencil and the larger for the iPad Pro. It's just a strange way to cheap out.. its the most premium tablet and premium accessories should ship with it. Period. You shouldn't have to want for anything at these price points. 

• Reply 14 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    k2kw said:
    subbies said
    Of course the Wireless Charger will be purchased separately.    Its just like the apple Pencil for the iPad Pro.   They raised the price on the iPadPro $100 (9.7 inch) over the iPad Air 2 and still charged a additional $100 for the Pencil.     Tim Cook's apple raises prices all the time (even if only a little).    When the series two watch came out the price went up $20.
    You seem to be claiming there is nothing else better about the iPad Pro over the Air 2 than the pencil support, which is bizarre 

You also seem to be claiming “Jobs never have allowed prices to rise” which flies in the face of reason. 
  • Reply 15 of 24
    k2kw said:
    subbies said

It’s an absolute disgrace that the 12.9” iPad Pro doesn’t ship with a 29W adapter.
    A disgrace! Do you hear me, world? An absolute disgrace! <shakes fist>
    macxpress
  • Reply 16 of 24
    jcs2305 said:
    I do agree with your comments regarding pencil and the larger for the iPad Pro. It's just a strange way to cheap out.. its the most premium tablet and premium accessories should ship with it. Period. You shouldn't have to want for anything at these price points. 

So by your logic, BMW shouldn’t charge extra for the premium sound system, because hey, it’s already an expensive BMW. Yet funnily it doesn’t work that way...

It’s as if you’re overlooking all the things you’re already getting for that premium price – the build quality, the longest supported mobile OS, and the additional pro-level features. 
  • Reply 17 of 24
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    k2kw said:
    subbies said

A disgrace! Do you hear me, world? An absolute disgrace! <shakes fist>
    Yep it is. Apple claims to be all about UX but then pulls penny pinching BS like this which is anything but a good UX.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    jcs2305 said:

So by your logic, BMW shouldn’t charge extra for the premium sound system, because hey, it’s already an expensive BMW. Yet funnily it doesn’t work that way...

It’s as if you’re overlooking all the things you’re already getting for that premium price – the build quality, the longest supported mobile OS, and the additional pro-level features. 
    It's reasonable to want the 29W charger as part of 'what you get' out of the box.

I think it's a very valid point considering the 'Pro' nature and price of the device.

As things stand, it reeks of a cheap move to push revenues up a little more. I wonder what the real price difference is for Apple between the standard charger and the 29W charger.

I must admit that I haven't been following the pro models very closely so I don't know 100% if the OP is correct in his claims but after some quick searching, it seems to be a legitimate complaint and one that I (no doubt you will add 'unsurprisingly') agree with.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 24
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    avon b7 said:
    jcs2305 said:

It's reasonable to want the 29W charger as part of 'what you get' out of the box.

I think it's a very valid point considering the 'Pro' nature and price of the device.

As things stand, it reeks of a cheap move to push revenues up a little more. I wonder what the real price difference is for Apple between the standard charger and the 29W charger.

I must admit that I haven't been following the pro models very closely so I don't know 100% if the OP is correct in his claims but after some quick searching, it seems to be a legitimate complaint and one that I (no doubt you will add 'unsurprisingly') agree with.

I take the point that they should include the 29W charger. I do kind of agree. However, I don't think it's a blatant money grab, I think the reasons they haven't are more complicated than that.

And I certainly do not agree that they should include the Pencil with the iPad Pro.

In the case of the charger, I think it's similar to the reason that they didn't go with USB-C chargers for iPhones last year. They are still selling a large number of these devices to people who need a USB-A cable to connect to their computer. If they included the 29W charger, they'd need to include a USB-C to Lightning cable. Do they then include a USB-A to Lightning cable as well? If they don't, what do they do about the people who complain that they have to buy it separately. Not everyone has USB-A to Lightning cables coming our their ears.

Also, the 29W charger isn't necessary to use the iPad. It will charge fine using the 12W charger. It's like how they still ship the iPhone with a 5W charger. They could ship it with the 12W charger, and it would charge faster, but they don't need to.

The same applies to the Pencil. You don't need the Pencil to use an iPad Pro. Apple sees the Pencil the same way it sees the Smart Keyboard, it's an add on, not an essential part of the package. You can use an iPad Pro, and take advantage of a number of its features and improvements over the non-Pro iPad, without either of these devices. And in all likelihood, the majority of people who buy one will never need to get a Pencil or a Smart Keyboard. (Odd no-one's complaining that they don't include the Smart Keyboard in the box. I wonder why that is.)

Where the price does come into consideration is how much it would cost Apple to include a 29W charger and a Pencil in every box. Arguably, the 29W charger wouldn't be much more of a price to absorb over the 12W, but the Pencil is a different proposition. If they included a Pencil, they would probably see that as putting the base price of the iPad Pro up by, say US$50-100. From their perspective, it is better to keep that price lower, and not include an accessory that many users don't need, only to have people complain about the cost being "too high" and including something that's of no use to them.

A more likely scenario than "Apple just want people to pay over more money" is that, in order to keep the sticker price lower, they ship with a minimal working set that the vast majority of purchasers will never upgrade. They'll get the better screen, the faster processor, the side-by-side multitasking, and they'll be happy. If you want to use a keyboard, you can choose to buy one from Apple, or from Logitech or whoever. If you want a Pencil, you can buy it.

muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 24
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    If they're too cheap to include a case for the earbuds for the iPhone 7 (like they did with the 5), then don't expect to find anything in the box but the bare minimum.