Rumor: Apple's OLED 'iPhone 8' will come in four colors, including a new mirror-like exter...

Posted:
in iPhone
This fall's anticipated flagship "iPhone 8" is rumored to come in four different shades, including a new reflective version that has not been seen on any previous iPhone models.

The latest claims about Apple's so-called "iPhone 8", or "iPhone Pro," came from the Twitter account of Benjamin Geskin, who said the handset will come in four total colors, one of them new. He included images of an iPhone 6s mirror-like case to give followers an idea of what it might look like, but offered no specifics beyond the fact that it will supposedly be reflective.

Considering Geskin only identified one of the colors as new, it's likely that the others will be akin to shades currently offered on the iPhone lineup. The iPhone 7 currently comes in six different shades, which would suggest that three of them could be axed for the redesigned "iPhone 8."

Currently, the iPhone 7 comes in jet black, black, silver, gold, rose gold, or (Product)Red. The red version launched earlier this year as a special edition, while the jet black shade was new for the iPhone 7 series.

Apple previously offered a space grey model of iPhone, but replaced it with matte black starting with the iPhone 7.

Last week was particularly busy for "iPhone 8" rumors, headlined by claims that the next-generation handset could ditch Touch ID fingerprint sensing technology in favor of a facial recognition login. It has been suggested that Apple has had trouble integrating Touch ID into the "iPhone 8" edge-to-edge OLED display, necessitating the change to an alternative form of biometric authentication.

This year's "iPhone 8" is expected to feature a forward facing 3D camera array that will allow for unique facial recognition capabilities, expected to integrate with Apple's ARKit tools for augmented reality apps. Simpler versions of such technology is already available in the form of popular Snapchat filters.

The "iPhone 8" is expected to boast a complete redesign of the handset with an 5.2-inch edge-to-edge OLED display with minimal bezels. The device is also expected to feature both fast charging via Lightning and contact-based wireless charging, though the latter may not be available at launch.

The "iPhone 8" is rumored to have a premium price and debut in limited quantities this fall. It is expected to be flanked by "iPhone 7s" models sized at 4.7 and 5.5 inches, with largely the same design as last year's iPhone 7, including an LCD display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Is "mirror" a colour or a finish?
    bonobob
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Kinda surprised that this isn't just a straight up black and aluminum number.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
     Well, It’s a rumor  so it must be true. 😐
    fotoformatpscooter63SpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Looks like my decision to get the 7+ and not wait for the "8+" was a good one.  
  • Reply 5 of 22
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    We all put cases on them anyway, so the color and finish really don't matter that much.
    macxpressking editor the gratecharlesatlas
  • Reply 6 of 22
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    ktappe said:
    We all put cases on them anyway, so the color and finish really don't matter that much.
    I guess a lot of people do. I never have.
    andrewj5790vlscoutking editor the grateanton zuykov
  • Reply 7 of 22
    cornchip said:
    ktappe said:
    Yeah. The only "cases" I ever used were on my iPhone 4. I got a free bumper from Apple because of the whole signal attenuation thing. Didn't use it for long, though. Then I purchased a similar type of bumper "case" for it that had a wrist strap attached. My wife and I were going on a trip that included a wildlife tour and the only cameras allowed had to have a strap. That case allowed me to bring my iPhone along. 

Other than that I've been case-free with all my iPhones. 
  • Reply 8 of 22
    DonnyWDonnyW Posts: 3member
    I've never seen a "rumor" of previous iPhone "leaks" be real until MAYBE a few weeks before their debut, if that. And the mirror finish version is an old iPhone model in a cheap plastic mirror like case from wish.com for $2. It's just an "idea" but there are people spreading those pics around claiming they've seen the iPhone 8 in person. Internet always tells the truth! 🤦🏻‍♂️ I'll stick with my 7+. If the rumors are true nothing about the phone sounds interesting besides iOS 11. Which I'm in beta now on my iPad.
     😉👌🏻
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Still on my iPhone 6 (now mostly because of the headphone jack). Waiting for something more "revolutionary" from Apple. So far I've beeen able to avoid the Apple "hype" train.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    stanthemanstantheman Posts: 332member
    Soli said:

If you reflect on it, you could answer your own question.

The reflective back of iPhone Pro will provide users the ability to look at their own faces without taking selfies. Win-win!
    edited July 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 22
    So Apple is bringing the Apple Watch design to iPhone: Black OLED front panel, rear case from polished stainless steel.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Still on my iPhone 6 (now mostly because of the headphone jack). Waiting for something more "revolutionary" from Apple. So far I've beeen able to avoid the Apple "hype" train.
     What Would You Consider “Revolutionary“? 
  • Reply 13 of 22
    DonnyWDonnyW Posts: 3member
    cornchip said:
    ktappe said:
    Yeah. The only "cases" I ever used were on my iPhone 4. I got a free bumper from Apple because of the whole signal attenuation thing. Didn't use it for long, though. Then I purchased a similar type of bumper "case" for it that had a wrist strap attached. My wife and I were going on a trip that included a wildlife tour and the only cameras allowed had to have a strap. That case allowed me to bring my iPhone along. 

iPhones are beautiful phones.  Better looking, sleeker and they can literally run everything in my life. Not to mention most user friendly hands down. Androids are a complete mess. Seems like there's a million androids probably because they can't ever get it right HA! But now I'm rambling lol cases are a shame to have to use on the iPhone but I for sure don't want to pay all that money to replace it! Clear cases do the trick! 
  • Reply 14 of 22
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Soli said:

If you reflect on it, you could answer your own question.

The reflective back of iPhone Pro will provide users the ability to look at their own faces without taking selfies. Win-win!
    AND... If you are wearing google glass, you can take a selfie of your own reflection off the back of your iPhone Pro!! Triple-Win!! Wait, google glass was epic failure... never mind!!

:-)
  • Reply 15 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    cornchip said:
    ktappe said:
    I've managed to drop my phone enough to know better and use a protective case.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 22
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I am not a big fan of Touch ID.

At first it was handy to just touch the button instead of having to type your password.

Right now, it feels cumbersome: Instead of activating Touch ID, I often end up waking up Siri, or go back to the home screen … the button is doing too much right now.

>:x
  • Reply 17 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mr o said:
    I am not a big fan of Touch ID.

At first it was handy to just touch the button instead of having to type your password.

Right now, it feels cumbersome: Instead of activating Touch ID, I often end up waking up Siri, or go back to the home screen … the button is doing too much right now.

>:x
    It can take some getting used to for new users. I still occasionally trigger Siri while attempting to unlock the phone.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I LOVE TID. I've got a couple of iPads that may get the book for a new Mini and Pro just for the TID (mainly).

I never trigger Siri while trying to unlock but occasionally unlock when triggering Siri. That's not a problem for me.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    DonnyW said:
    cornchip said:
    ktappe said:

iPhones are beautiful phones.  Better looking, sleeker and they can literally run everything in my life. Not to mention most user friendly hands down. Androids are a complete mess. Seems like there's a million androids probably because they can't ever get it right HA! But now I'm rambling lol cases are a shame to have to use on the iPhone but I for sure don't want to pay all that money to replace it! Clear cases do the trick! 
    There are many 'rights' and many 'wrongs' and if timing is wrong, what was right yesterday could be wrong today or vice versa. Android design is far from a mess.

As of today the current iPhone styling is quite stale simply because it hasn't changed in a while. That's also why the S8 and P10 also look somewhat stale although the S8 Plus and the vivid colour options on the P10 do offset the issue.

It's true that it's hard to stand out on the design of a phone because there is only so much you can do and whatever you do is probably already out there anyway. Sharp is about to announce a rather boxy, almost bezeless phone at the end of the.mont..Some say it is fugly, others say it is beautiful. It's not rounded and that in itself is somewhat refreshing.

The obvious distinguishing design factors on any phone are colour and finish, followed by how the device feels in your hand and then sensor and button placement.

Personally I would like to see improvements in how stable the phone feels in your hand. My biggest criticism of the latest iPhones is how slippery they feel in your hand. I would love to see more grip or slight changes in shape to improve handling.

Some P10s have a lightly textured metal back to improve handling confidence and create light reflections. The Honor 9 is glass front and back, again to create a shimmering effect but all glass (excepting the frame) doesn't convince me at the moment. I'll have to hold one and see if the frame has enough texture to give you a nice grip but I would still prefer a case until someone come.out with a rugged nice looking phone. And if you buy a phone with colour as one of your big likes, then a transparent case is the only way to go.

I think Apple could do well with some loud colours. I was doubting over the P10's loud colours but they have grown on me since the start of the year. If they throw in a mirror style option it might prove attractive.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    You’re not going to get revolutionary, it’s evolutionary now. The revolution happened, about 10 years ago. 

The new headphone jack on the 7 has been great for me -- tho I barely use it since the AirPods are so much more delightful, even as a team lead taking phone meetings half the day. 
    edited July 2017