Eddy Cue offers new Apple Park lunch auction after June one raises over $200K

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's head of Internet Software and Services, Eddy Cue, is participating in a new charity auction for a lunch meeting at Apple Park -- less than a month after another fetched over $200,000.

The latest auction is currently valued at $50,000, and will end at 3:01 p.m. Eastern time on July 25. As of Monday morning, one bid had been placed for $5,000.

Proceeds will go to support Autism Movement Therapy. The June auction helped fund the National Association of Basketball Coaches Foundation, which manages charitable efforts such as a literacy program.

The winning bidder must be 18 or older, and schedule a date between Aug. 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018. The person must also pay for their own travel and lodging, and despite Apple Park being a focus of the auction's marketing, no formal tours are promised and no photography will be allowed.

Cue has participated in charity auctions before, specifically one in 2014 -- also a lunch date benefiting the NABC -- which raised some $85,000, and tossed in a 13-inch MacBook Air as a bonus.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has been involved in even more lunch auctions. The last one, in May, generated $688,999 for Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights, an organization which has Cook on the board of directors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Eddy could stand to cut back on a few lunches.
    edited July 2017 smaffeimacxpressanton zuykov
  • Reply 2 of 13
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    What's the point of a lunch that I'm going to puke right out after having to stomach him for 60 minutes?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 13
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I figure Rogifan would be front and centre...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    brucemc said:
    I figure Rogifan would be front and centre...
    Maybe he's not awake yet. 
  • Reply 5 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Maybe someone can ask him what the hell he does at Apple? I still don't really know....All of his departments are ran by someone like Phil Schiller. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 13
    macxpress said:
    Maybe someone can ask him what the hell he does at Apple? I still don't really know....All of his departments are ran by someone like Phil Schiller. 
    No need to ask anyone. Just try that internet thingy everyone's always banging on about. 

https://www.apple.com/uk/leadership/eddy-cue/

Soli
  • Reply 7 of 13
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 694member
    Don't know about this guy. I would rather have lunch with Tim Cook. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What could anyone possibly hope to gain from a paid lunch with an Apple executive other than publicity? And since it's been done already, the novelty is sort of over.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    What could anyone possibly hope to gain from a paid lunch with an Apple executive other than publicity? And since it's been done already, the novelty is sort of over.

Not sure about the publicity. Do they even announce the names of the auction winners?

Maybe people do it because it's a novel way to give to a worthy cause, and they get to meet someone they find interesting. 
  • Reply 10 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:
    No need to ask anyone. Just try that internet thingy everyone's always banging on about. 

HA! What the page says and what he actually does are two different things. Anyone can have a fancy title...its whether or not they're worthy of the title that matters. 
    patchythepirateSpamSandwichravnorodom
  • Reply 11 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:

HA! What the page says and what he actually does are two different things. Anyone can have a fancy title...its whether or not they're worthy of the title that matters. 
    Do you really think the company with the highest value and one of the most efficient operations in the world is just paying Cue to be an executive for no legitimate reason?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:

Do you really think the company with the highest value and one of the most efficient operations in the world is just paying Cue to be an executive for no legitimate reason?
    Yes, yes I'm afraid he does. 

:facepalm:

• Reply 13 of 13
    smaffei said:
    What's the point of a lunch that I'm going to puke right out after having to stomach him for 60 minutes?

So don't bid. It definitely isn't for you.

"What's the point in lowering the price of the Oculus Rift when I am not going to buy one anyway"?