Will the 'iPhone 8' cost $1200+? Apple has already been pushing flagship prices higher for...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    GREED IS GOOD
    GREED IS GREAT
    williamlondonrogifan_new
  • Reply 22 of 104
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
      Considering that is is a rare bird that pays cash for an iPhone this price increase is a non-issue (except for Android shills).
    My in-laws in China at least all buy their phones with cash.  Haven't asked my sister in Germany recently, but I believe the same is true there.  Even here in the US, with subsidies by the carriers being a thing of the past, cash purchases are pretty common (my family's last iteration of purchases was).  So it's not quite as rare as you seem to think.

ksec
  • Reply 23 of 104
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Maybe, if they come out w/ an “Edition” version of the iPhone Pro... in ceramic. That worked for the Apple Watch Series 2 Edition. Or... if they really are making this reflective silver one, they may be pushing shiny/glossy materials as their high-end (like piano black kinda turned out to be...).
    "Edition" was a really dumb choice of a name for any high-end Apple product, especially as there is now the "Series 2" designation on top of the mess.

Current line-up:
    • Apple Watch Series 2
    • Apple Watch Nike+ (Is it Series 1 or 2? Unclear for buyers)
    • Apple Watch Hermés (Is it Series 1 or 2? Unclear for buyers)
    • Apple Watch Edition? (Is it Series 1 or 2? Unclear for buyers)
    • Apple Watch Series 1

Customer A:  "Which edition do you want?"

Customer B:  "I don't want the Edition, I want the Series 2."

Customer A:  "I know you want the series too, but which edition?"

:o 

Obviously, no one thought through the permutations of the line before the designations were approved. Whoever is in charge of product naming over there now needs to be reassigned.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 24 of 104
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Gruber made a case for an "edition" or "pro" model based on the fact that Apple could provide a set of "pro" features that the supply chain could not provide in typical volumes, some 200 million units for an iPhone manufacturing cycle.

Of course there would be buyers at a higher price point, though I would expect a heck of a lot of backlash from the usual suspects, because greed, blah, blah, blah.

Me, I'd pay more just for Pencil support, but I'd throw money at Apple to buy the first iPhone with a microLED!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 104
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member
    wood1208 said:
    Apple or any company knows what can sell at what price at how long and where is breaking point. So, wait and see in September who is right! Apple might put $150 wireless airpods into box with iphone 8 and free wireless charging accessory. Afterall, iphone 8 is flagship premium phone.
    Yeah, forget it, they will certainly not. And you know that, just see what happend with the quick charger for the iPad pro.
    I am a real Apple fan, but for the mentioned price, I won’t go for the 8 and stick with me 6 plus for an other year.
    A 4 year upgrade cycle is the most economic period and for that price i will skip the “special” edition.
    I totally agree.  Airpods will not be included, especially while demand still greatly exceeds supply.  I went to the 7Plus because I got $650 trade in value toward my 6 (otherwise I'd have held off.)  I still think the 6S Plus is the best iPhone (except for the 2nd camera on the 7Plus.)  You're right to wait on the "8" and let Apple work the kinks out of the new design which is sure to have a "something-gate" issue.
    I'm not a hater.  I do love my 7 Plus, but in the perspective of things sticking with the 6S Plus is the best move financially
    What are you likely to get on the 8?  OLED, a camera bump, experiments with a virtual home button and experiments with new fingerprint and/or facial recognition?  The OLED and size/screen ratio will be nice but not worth +$1K IMO.  I just don't see what's really going to be "worth" the upgrade unless you're on a 6 or earlier now unsupported model and it's just time.
  • Reply 26 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apple are known to have a range of models at different prices for most products.  Last time I looked you could pay anywhere from just under $3,000 up to well over $6,000 for a Mac Pro.  People panicking over an article claiming that a Mac Pro costs over $6K would be ignoring lesser models.  Just my 2 cents but I would think the same will be true with the next generation of iPhones.  
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 104
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    jbdragon said:
    Those prices are just crazy. Apple will be pricing themselves right out of the market if this rumor is true. If Apple is going to release a so called iPhone 7s and 7s Plus and a iPhone 8, well then the iPhone 7s and 7s Plus are already outdated!!! The 8 is over priced, and I'd stick with my iPhone 6 for a 4th year.
    Time to send in the armchair executives – Apple, the most successful public company in human history, doesn’t know what it’s doing! They need our help!
    williamlondonwatto_cobradsdfraccrabby
  • Reply 28 of 104
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member
    Part of Gruber's logic depends on the 7S/7S Plus being sold in 64/128/256 at the same price as the current 7 and still offered in all 3 sizes of storage and that there would be no overlap in pricing because who would want to pay more for a smaller iPhone 8 when they could get a larger (capacity) iPhone 7 for less?
    They can play games with storage capacities to reduce this paradox, but I think there could be overlap at the top end.  We sort of see this with iPad.  Also, this assumes we won't see the iPhone 7S take any price cut ($30-$100?)

I think it'll simply be $100 more than iPhone 7S.

Assuming the iPhone 7S/7S+ slides in and at the same exact pricing as iPhone 7/7+
    *iPhone 7S+ $769/$869/$969 (64GB/ 128GB/ $256GB respectively.
    *iPhone 8 at $969/$1069 (for 128 and 256 respectively.)  Or limit it to 256/512GB models keeping the price at $1069/$1169 max.

It seems to be in-line with how Apple generally does business and still marketable.  Anything more expensive just seems embarrassing to me that Apple can't ship a premium edge-to-edge OLED phone at any cost close to what competitors are shipping at.
  • Reply 29 of 104
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Maybe, if they come out w/ an “Edition” version of the iPhone Pro... in ceramic. That worked for the Apple Watch Series 2 Edition. Or... if they really are making this reflective silver one, they may be pushing shiny/glossy materials as their high-end (like piano black kinda turned out to be...).
    "Edition" was a really dumb choice of a name for any high-end Apple product, especially as there is now the "Series 2" designation on top of the mess.

Current line-up:
    • Apple Watch Series 2
    • Apple Watch Nike+ (Is it Series 1 or 2? Unclear for buyers)
    • Apple Watch Hermés (Is it Series 1 or 2? Unclear for buyers)
    • Apple Watch Edition? (Is it Series 1 or 2? Unclear for buyers)
    • Apple Watch Series 1

Customer A:  "Which edition do you want?"

Customer B:  "I don't want the Edition, I want the Series 2."

Customer A:  "I know you want the series too, but which edition?"

:o 

Obviously, no one thought through the permutations of the line before the designations were approved. Whoever is in charge of product naming over there now needs to be reassigned.
    No, it’s not really that complicated. 

Series 2
    Watch
    Watch Edition
    Watch Nike+
    Watch Hermès

Series 1
    Watch
    Watch Edition

No one is getting fired. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 104
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Since the 3GS I have been on the 'tock' update cycle, so I'm on the 6S.

However - I am no power user... IF the present rumor of features are close to true ...for the first time I don't seem to have a compelling reason  to update. :(

Plus- I was already ticked by the removal of the head phone jack in the 7 and still am! (yes - I'm one of those!)

• Reply 31 of 104
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    jbdragon said:
    Those prices are just crazy. Apple will be pricing themselves right out of the market if this rumor is true. If Apple is going to release a so called iPhone 7s and 7s Plus and a iPhone 8, well then the iPhone 7s and 7s Plus are already outdated!!! The 8 is over priced, and I'd stick with my iPhone 6 for a 4th year.

The difference between an $800 iPhone and a $1200 iPhone (on a 24 month purchase agreement) is less than $17/month.  Considering that is is a rare bird that pays cash for an iPhone this price increase is a non-issue (except for Android shills).
    Not everyone buys on an installment plan and every tech/news site on the planet will report the full cost, especially if $1199 is the starting point. If the phone doesn’t have some amazing new feature(s) that no other phone has it will be a PR disaster for Apple. a 64GB 12.9” iPad Pro is $799 yet Gruber wants us to believe Apple will have no problem selling an iPhone that starts at $1199? Seriously?
  • Reply 32 of 104
    Should we wait until Apple announces prices on iPhone 8 before we hate?
    No, mate, that would be too late!
    There's click money before that date.

williamlondonmacky the mackylkruppRayz2016watto_cobradsdfrac
  • Reply 33 of 104
    I am not interested in paying $300 more for an iPhone that does the typical iPhone stuff unless it's going to give me lap dances.
    williamlondonblurpbleepbloop
  • Reply 34 of 104
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    This is people not remembering that Macs used to cost $3000+ back in the 80's. Today's computers are 1000x more powerful for 1/10th the price.
    lkruppblurpbleepbloopStrangeDayswatto_cobradsdwilliamlondonradarthekat
  • Reply 35 of 104
    2017cm2017cm Posts: 1member
    No, the iPhone X will not start at $1200. It would look insanely expensive compared to the S8 plus (which yes, does matter to most consumers) plus the majority of consumers would laugh at such a starting price. 

I expect it to start at $899. $130 more than the 7S Plus. At the very most it starts at $950 and even that is really pushing it.
    blurpbleepbloop
  • Reply 36 of 104
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    jbdragon said:

The difference between an $800 iPhone and a $1200 iPhone (on a 24 month purchase agreement) is less than $17/month.  Considering that is is a rare bird that pays cash for an iPhone this price increase is a non-issue (except for Android shills).
    I'm no fan of Android. but another $400 on top of the current price is CRAZY! You're now forking out $50 a month for the phone on top of your calling plan for 2 years. Make it sound not bad at $17 a month, but it's really $50 a month. Why don't you just come out and tell it as it is. Not that it's just going to add a little $17 a month to your bill. That doesn't sound so bad when you put it that way. Apple over charged on the Original iPhone and ended up having to drop the price.
    blurpbleepbloopblurpbleepbloop
  • Reply 37 of 104
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jbdragon said:
    jbdragon said:

I'm no fan of Android. but another $400 on top of the current price is CRAZY! You're now forking out $50 a month for the phone on top of your calling plan for 2 years. Make it sound not bad at $17 a month, but it's really $50 a month. Why don't you just come out and tell it as it is. Not that it's just going to add a little $17 a month to your bill. That doesn't sound so bad when you put it that way. Apple over charged on the Original iPhone and ended up having to drop the price.
    Apple probably overcharged on the original iPhone to keep demand in check while supplies and yields were low. Otherwise, why give the refund later?
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 38 of 104
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

This is people not remembering that Macs used to cost $3000+ back in the 80's. Today's computers are 1000x more powerful for 1/10th the price.
    This. This is in part what the chart of macs on the previous page had in common. very expensive computers not produced in any great quantity -- but if you've got the money, you'll buy one.

Macintosh IIfx -- $9900
    Original Powerbook 3500 (G3) - $6900
    Twentieth Anniversary Mac - $7499
    PowerMac Cube - $1800 for single processor, when dual G4 towers were less
    iMac Pro - $4499 and likely way, way up.

Should the iPhone 8 be $1300, it's not atypical, nor even particularly crazy, given what Apple has done in the past for boutique Macs loaded with all the tech Apple could bring to bear.
    edited July 2017 sennenStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 104
    This is in part what the chart of macs on the previous page had in common. very expensive computers not produced in any great quantity -- but if you've got the money, you'll buy one.

Macintosh IIfx -- $9900
    Original Powerbook 3500 (G3) - $6900
    Twentieth Anniversary Mac - $7499
    PowerMac Cube - $1800 for single processor, when dual G4 towers were less
    iMac Pro - $4499 and likely way, way up.

You forgot to add the original Watch Edition to that list. History has not been written on the iMac Pro yet, but for each of those other products, they did not move Apple forward (and certainly did not sell in numbers to make Apple any real money)

I'll say I did buy a IIfx, which I loved, while in college for nowhere near the stated price as well as a 20th Anniversary Mac (which I liked less) also on close out.

These rumors are laying the same groundwork as the original iPad rollout which were bandying around the idea it would be $800-$900, seeding expectations that it will be out of reach for all so that the entry level price appears very palatable. Of course, Apple released an anemic version for $499 but the one I wanted was $850 or so (with cell capability) - no sale.  I suspect this is still part of Apple's playbook.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 104
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    This seems reasonable, we can't both simultaneously expect significant advancement and significant price decline, there should be a range of devices which let the consumer decide for themselves: less significant advancement in performance and features for an economically priced model and a higher priced device which has a significant technological advancement. 

It's like letting the user choose if they want the slow lane or the fast lane to the future of personal computing. You can think of the slow lane as people who's lives are already wholly satisfied by the device and the fast lane being for users who are able to use new technologies to further enhance their lives or already have growing needs of their devices.

It's not a coincidence that this journey always starts with a single device and a homogeneous vision, that's the ignition point, to which the products are then tailored to fit a wider audience through divergent feature sets. Apple's skill here is providing divergence while keeping everyone on the same page. (Something other vendors are wary of doing.)
    tmay