MagSafe replacement comes to Apple's 15" MacBook Pro with Vinpok Bolt-S USB-C adapter

Posted:
in General Discussion
A new USB-C adapter and cable from Vinpok will soon return MagSafe-like functionality to the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, complete with 87 watts of charging power.

The Bolt-S cable has a USB-C detachable end that inserts into the computer, with the cable itself held in place with a magnetic ring. Vinpok claims that it is the first and only magnetic power cable solution able to provide full charging power to the 2016 and 2017 15-inch MacBook Pro With Touch Bar.

The cable will not carry data, meaning users will have to plug a standard USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 cable into one of the MacBook Pro's three other ports for external devices and accessories.

The Vinpok Bolt-S will come in black or silver, and will retail at launch for $29 according to company representative.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    IMO, Apple should never have gotten rid of MagSafe.
    edited July 2017 nhughesmacseekerjeffharrisneo-techGrimzahnpscooter63welshdog
  • Reply 2 of 62
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    IMO, I prefer the options gained by converting the MagSafe port to a multi-use Thunderbolt port. 

Further, it's great that this device allows people like Mr Sandwich to turn the plug back into a breakaway, magnetic plug.

We agree the breakaway plug is a brilliant idea. 
    stompybb-15StrangeDaysneo-techroundaboutnow
  • Reply 3 of 62
    jumpcutterjumpcutter Posts: 100member
    This MagSafe replacement does not handle data. If it could do both power and data then that's a great product.
    SpamSandwichjeffharris
  • Reply 4 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This MagSafe replacement does not handle data. If it could do both power and data then that's a great product.
    I think they avoid paying Apple the licensing fee by making it a power-only adapter.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    Apple replaces proprietary charging ports and cables for industry standard (for Mac).

Internet complains.

Apple adopts proprietary charging port and cable instead of industry standard (for iOS).

Internet complains.

Conclusion: Apple is in a quantum superposition of disappointment states.
    StrangeDayscolinskyneo-techsphericprairiewalkeranomeroundaboutnowpscooter63jony0
  • Reply 6 of 62
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

IMO, It's about time they got rid of the archaic power-only connection and started adopting the wonderful USB-C. I don't want the future of technology to be a different port interface for every… single… fucking… connection. USB-C is an amazing step in the right direction.

You (and others) also need to think about why Apple would make this change when it removes a lock-in that forces the customer to buy an Apple charger. This is a good thing for the consumer in every… fucking… way.

Keep in mind that MagSafe came at a time when laptop batteries only lasted a few hours and the power connector went relatively deep into the device, all of which made tripping over the connector much more likely than it is today. And then you have numerous inexpensive, 3rd-party options that I'd think would remove all the bellyaching, but apparently not.

Finally, if I needed this, I'd put it on the other end of the cable so that it's in the PSU.
    StrangeDaysanomefastasleeplorin schultzjony0
  • Reply 7 of 62

I think they avoid paying Apple the licensing fee by making it a power-only adapter.
    Don't be daft. It can't handle data because it's a small, magnetic connector. If you want to handle data you'd have to make it larger and/or considerably more costly. I don't even think we have the technology to keep the connector that size and allow for USB 3.1 data and USB-C power, but it's certainly going to happen with the connector they've shown.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    It is definitely a step backwards to have gotten rid of Magsafe, at least in my opinion. It was very much one of those Apple features that was unappreciated (much like the Lighting port). Certainly Apple could have come up with a better solution than waiting on third parties to return the feature.

My mid-2012 Macbook pro Retina was the first Mac (and so far, only) I ever owned. I remember thinking that the Magsafe Feature/Design was incredibly (being a college student and all at the time) useful. Over the years, it has likely saved my Macbook from about 5-10 falls, even from table tops where one might expect the computer to be safe. Couldn't figure out why everyone wasn't implementing the feature (I knew it had existed in Macs for years). 

Now, years later, I don't understand why the feature was removed. I would have to purchase a separate product from another company to achieve the same functionality. Which is not elegant or Apple-like. Well, dongles is Apple's new thing it seems.

Surely the "Apple can do no wrong" crowd won't like this post. 
    zimmermann
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Says the person who wants his cake and eat it too!
    pscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 62
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    Is there a reason why it would only work with 15" Touch Bar Pros?
  • Reply 11 of 62
    I think the MagSafe type II connector on my MacBook Pro is a nuisance. It's too easy to dislodge. My cat knocks it out at least half a dozen times every day. (I know, I should get a different cat.)
    Solineo-tech
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    simply258 said:
    Is there a reason why it would only work with 15" Touch Bar Pros?
    No. It is the only one so far that supplies full charging power to it, though. Should work on the 13-inch MBP with and without Touch Bar, and MacBook too.

We're going to have one for testing next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
    bb-15neo-techprairiewalkerpscooter63welshdog
  • Reply 13 of 62
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Soli said:

Don't be daft. It can't handle data because it's a small, magnetic connector. If you want to handle data you'd have to make it larger and/or considerably more costly. I don't even think we have the technology to keep the connector that size and allow for USB 3.1 data and USB-C power, but it's certainly going to happen with the connector they've shown.

Hmmm? It has 5 pins, plus the outer casing, which is slightly larger than a standard USB-C plug. I don't think size is the issue, but rather the risk of the cable disconnecting — that could be a potential disaster of data loss. Customers experience would be really, really bad. MagSafe is not ideal for data connections, but is great for power connections. This product has done it right.
    neo-techcpdprprairiewalkerwelshdog
  • Reply 14 of 62
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    But where I see this problem having a poor design is that it doesn't seem to support universal orientation. The 5 pins suggest it needs to connect in a top-up orientation. What were they thinking?
    rhinotuffneo-techwelshdog
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    But where I see this problem having a poor design is that it doesn't seem to support universal orientation. The 5 pins suggest it needs to connect in a top-up orientation. What were they thinking?
    Things like this are why I risk my hardware so you don't have to.
    neo-tech
  • Reply 16 of 62
    seankill said:
    It is definitely a step backwards to have gotten rid of Magsafe, at least in my opinion. It was very much one of those Apple features that was unappreciated (much like the Lighting port). Certainly Apple could have come up with a better solution than waiting on third parties to return the feature.

My mid-2012 Macbook pro Retina was the first Mac (and so far, only) I ever owned. I remember thinking that the Magsafe Feature/Design was incredibly (being a college student and all at the time) useful. Over the years, it has likely saved my Macbook from about 5-10 falls, even from table tops where one might expect the computer to be safe. Couldn't figure out why everyone wasn't implementing the feature (I knew it had existed in Macs for years). 

Now, years later, I don't understand why the feature was removed. I would have to purchase a separate product from another company to achieve the same functionality. Which is not elegant or Apple-like. Well, dongles is Apple's new thing it seems.

That’s bullshit. That statement reminds me of when people that claim that Groundhog Day is an underrated movie.

It’s one of the most lauded features by both Mac and non-Mac users. Even people that hate Apple often mention that one feature as being great. No one calls it a gimmick. No one complains that it’s proprietary. No one complains that the cable is permanently attached to the PSU attached. No one even complains that it doesn’t carry data, yet that’s a complaint with 3rd-party options doing the same…  fucking... thing.
    StrangeDayspscooter63welshdog
  • Reply 17 of 62
    mattrogers_2mattrogers_2 Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    I'm a bit nervous about relying on a company I've never heard of providing this. It's the slimmest, nicest looking one I have seen yet. But I worry about the potential of destroying my MacBook with this or burning my house down.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    I just can't believe that it's directional.  With the 5 pin configuration that it has, you have to ensure it's connected with the right orientation in mind.  Why wouldn't they have done five circular bands of narrowing diameter to fit inside one another?  This would have allowed for orientation to not be a problem...
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Soli said:

Hmmm? It has 5 pins, plus the outer casing, which is slightly larger than a standard USB-C plug. I don't think size is the issue, but rather the risk of the cable disconnecting — that could be a potential disaster of data loss. Customers experience would be really, really bad. MagSafe is not ideal for data connections, but is great for power connections. This product has done it right.
    It looks to be about half the size of MagSafe, which also has 5 pins. Remember that you need enough ferrous material to allow the magnetic connection to work and to be of a sufficient strength. I wonder if this has been reduced on Macs since the original MagSafe connector since it seems to pop off far more easily than I recall, but perhaps my usage has changed since then.Regardless, size matters when you're trying to through in a bunch of high-performance data pins, even when ignoring the disconnecting issue you mentioned.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    seankill said:

We don’t like the post because it doesn’t make sense, not because Apple can do no wrong. A port that doubles as USB/data and power is better than a dedicated, proprietary, power-only port. It’s that simple. 

Especially since the laptops today get 10 hours of battery unlike the one you had in school, and thus very likely don’t need to be sitting there plugged in all the time. Just like an ipad. Are you complaining about no magsafe on your ipad? Why not? Oh yeah because it doesn’t make sense anymore. 
    prairiewalkerpscooter63