Microsoft ends support for its ill-fated iPhone competitor, Windows Phone

Posted:
in General Discussion
Microsoft on Tuesday terminated support for Windows Phone 8.1, marking the end of an era in which the company tried to directly compete against Android devices and Apple's iPhone.

Phones running the software will no longer get updates or technical support, according to Microsoft. Version 8.1 was the last iteration of Windows Phone before the company migrated to Windows 10 Mobile, available as an upgrade on some older devices and preloaded on ones like the Lumia 950. Even the 950, however, is almost two years old.

Microsoft first took a real stab at iPhone and Android devices with 2010's Windows Phone 7, which introduced a tile-based interface that subsequently came to Windows 8 and 10. Despite some advantages the OS was missing key features, and there was never any breakout hardware.

By the time Windows Phone 8.1 emerged in 2014 it compared better against Apple and Google's offerings, but the smartphone market had already become a platform duopoly. Microsoft has since been winding down its phone unit -- much of it acquired in a $5 billion Nokia takeover -- despite simultaneously ramping up its Surface line with devices like the Surface Studio and Surface Laptop.

The company's mobile strategy now revolves largely around apps and services for iOS and Android. The Office suite, for example, is available on the iPhone and iPad, and generates regular revenue through Office 365 subscriptions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    this is too bad. there was lots to like about Windows 8.1 Mobile from the typography to the speed of entire ecosystem. it really was a joy to use. sadly, one by one the apps stopped working: eBay, lüber, some random flash light app. Windows 1o by comparison does not feel or look the same. 
    entropyscornchipmobius
  • Reply 2 of 43
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Pity can't place a photo of a coffin in this post... (What a amateuristic and childish marketing was that of Microsoft).
    longpathwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 43
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Dang, now what is that person using Windows Phone 8.1 going to do?
    calibaconstangcornchipwatto_cobrajony0lordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 4 of 43
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    But.. but... Microsoft even threw an iPhone funeral??!!   Was Microsoft actually wrong?

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-iphone-funeral-2010-9

All joking aside, it's actually quite unfortunate.  Unlike that iKnockoff that is Android, Microsoft at least designed their own, unique system on their own merits.  Unfortunately, their ecosystem was laughable.  It was too expensive when compared to Android and could not compete with Apple on just about everything.

At least it was better than their shit-brick Zune.
    calicornchippscooter63watto_cobrajony0lordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 5 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    JanNL said:
    Pity can't place a photo of a coffin in this post... (What a amateuristic and childish marketing was that of Microsoft).

anton zuykovcaliwilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 43
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    They're switching to using Windows 10 on everything, so there might be a Windows Phone in the future, if they can solidify themselves in the laptop and 2 in 1 format before chromebooks become too large.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    vukasikavukasika Posts: 102member
    williamh said:
    Dang, now what is that person using Windows Phone 8.1 going to do?
    All 6 of them will be ok I'm sure :)
    cornchipwatto_cobraanton zuykovjony0
  • Reply 8 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    this is too bad. there was lots to like about Windows 8.1 Mobile from the typography to the speed of entire ecosystem. it really was a joy to use. sadly, one by one the apps stopped working: eBay, lüber, some random flash light app. Windows 1o by comparison does not feel or look the same. 
    None of that carried over to Windows 10 Mobile?
    rufworkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 43
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    JanNL said:

That's what I meant, thanks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Companies like MS, Google, Samsung are unwilling to make the necessary investments required to bring products to market the way Apple is prepared to do. The result is subpar gadgets that 'look' similar to Apple products but to not work as well or last as long.

Apple invests resources into every aspect of their products from, antenna technology, battery technology, chip technology, etc., etc. 

I personally will never own a product made by MS, Google, Samsung. I only buy Apple tech and if it's not made by Apple I'll most likely do without. Obviously, a TV (LG) and a  printer (Brother) would be the exceptions. :)
    calibaconstangradarthekatcornchiprezwitsStrangeDayswilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 43
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    JanNL said:

This had to of been a 100% Steve Ballmer thing. No one else would be as stupid and arrogant as Steve Ballmer who never took his competition seriously with anything and look where they are now. 
    anomebaconstangpscooter63watto_cobraanton zuykovjony0
  • Reply 12 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    JanNL said:

This had to of been a 100% Steve Ballmer thing. No one else would be as stupid and arrogant as Steve Ballmer who never took his competition seriously with anything and look where they are now. 
    That hubris would likely befall most that were in MS' position at the time. MS hadn't had too many losses at that point and had plenty of successes simply by throwing money at a problem (which mostly seemed to include a marketing budget), but as the history of the world repeatedly shows us is that the dominate can fall if they become arrogant and lazy.
    edited July 2017 macxpressravnorodompscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 43
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    JanNL said:

That hubris would likely befall most that were in MS' position at the time. MS hadn't had too many losses at that point and had plenty of successes simply by throwing money at a problem (which mostly seemed to include a marketing budget), but as the history of the world repeatedly shows us is that the dominate can fall if they become arrogant and lazy.
    Yes no doubt...but it didn't help that they had an arrogant high school football coach for a leader of a major technology company...at least, thats what Steve Ballmer reminds me of. 

Apple really hit it with the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ads....it was perfect timing for Apple and it worked brilliantly. I think that was sort of the turning point for Microsoft. 
    edited July 2017 baconstangradarthekatcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 43
    It's hard to believe. The news media has hardly said anything about the demise of the Windows Phone platform. Nothing about Windows Phone is a huge failure for Microsoft. Nothing much said about the money Microsoft poured into that platform and lost quite a bit of money without any fruitful results. It seems during this whole time while Nokia went under, Microsoft is now even more valuable than it had been for many years. When Microsoft took over Nokia they really should have tried hard to keep that company going. So many Nokia employees lost their jobs while Microsoft seemingly got richer. I guess in some ways Microsoft got back what it had been dealing out for years in putting plenty of other companies out of business while Microsoft reigned supreme.

It seems like it was just a few years back when some analysts were happily crowing how Windows Phone was going to eventually have higher market share than the iPhone. Why is it they can always see Apple's failing future but no other company's failing future? I keep saying the future is impossible to see but analysts swear they accurately know how things are going to turn out years down the road.  At least other things are turning out well for Microsoft.  All Wall Street keeps talking about is how well their cloud business is doing.  Good for them but they're still laying off employees just the same.  Watch Microsoft's share price rise for the layoffs.  It's just great the way Wall Street cheers for the loss of jobs.
    edited July 2017 radarthekatcornchippscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 43
    foggyhill said:
    They're switching to using Windows 10 on everything, so there might be a Windows Phone in the future, if they can solidify themselves in the laptop and 2 in 1 format before chromebooks become too large.
    Microsoft might sell Windows Phones in the future but will any significant number of consumers buy them.  I wonder if Bill Gates is still forcing his personal family and Microsoft employees to use Windows Phones now that support has ended.  They're probably all breathing a sigh of relief if they no longer have to carry them around.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 43
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 18 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Microsoft on Tuesday terminated support for Windows Phone 8.1, marking the end of an era in which the company tried to directly compete against Android devices and Apple's iPhone.
    Oh! Just yesterday I was wondering what Microsoft was doing with Windows Phone. I'd assumed they continued it to WP10, but just hadn't heard anything. So strange.
    tdbmoss said:
    ...Windows Phone 8.1 which is replaced by Windows 10 Mobile. All Nokia/Microsoft Lumia phones…
    Oh, see, there you go. I hadn't heard about Nokia going bankrupt or being shut down, so I was really confused.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 43
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    My daughter is still using a Nokia with windows 8.1. The last upgrade killed battery life. I put a new higher capacity battery in and it still doesn't last a day. Not sure if it will run win10, but I am not game to try. Will it work through the windows sync app  on a Mac?
  • Reply 20 of 43
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    Surprise...!

I feel there's something about beating a dead horse, or some other...

:# 
    watto_cobra