macOS High Sierra public beta testers get second build from Apple

Posted:
in macOS
Shortly after the release of iOS 11 public beta 2, Mac users also received a second pre-release build of macOS High Sierra, available for public testing ahead of its arrival this fall.

Participation in Apple's public beta system is free after registering and agreeing to terms and conditions at the company's website. Participants can test out pre-release builds of macOS, iOS and tvOS, though watchOS is not a part of the program.

In the latest High Sierra beta, Apple enabled initial Time Machine support, and has added routines to AVKit for developers to allow users additional flexibility for content playback when multiple outputs are available. Additionally, some touch event processing modifications have been implemented, with enhanced timing for ignoring errant touches.

The second pre-release beta of macOS High Sierra arrives a few weeks after the first build was provided in late June.

Apple recommends that users install the software only on a secondary Mac, and make a backup of that device beforehand.

High Sierra is due to launch as a free update this fall. The software will support standards like Metal 2 and H.265/HEVC video, and transition to the Apple File System, already in use on iOS 10.3.x devices. Apple is also planning miscellaneous upgrades to apps like Photos, Mail, and Safari.

By spring 2018, High Sierra will also officially support external Thunderbolt 3 GPUs, enabling high-level graphics normally reserved for gaming PCs and workstations.
capt. obvious

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    I see mail is working better with this Beta :)
    Avieshek
  • Reply 2 of 13
    AvieshekAvieshek Posts: 100member
    I wish some things come back from Apple  :)
    change.org/p/apple-bring-back-the-17-inch-macbook
  • Reply 3 of 13
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Apple fixed the sleep (not turning LCD back on) bug at least for my 2011 MBP. Now I can actually do some testing without worrying about having to restart all the time.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    zompzomp Posts: 62member
    BY FAR the WORST BUILD EVER
    The first public beta build was workable, 10.13 Beta (17A306f) is plagued with bugs. If you are thinking about public beta testing - skip this version. I can't keep up with all the bug reporting.
    Some issues I'm having is Fan running all the time (iMac 27-inch, Late 2012) 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB)
    Bubbles appear while completing forms on safari
    Flickering Safar preferences
    copy and paste not always working ctrl C
    computer becomes unresponsive for seconds
    Try it if you'd like, but I would recommend skipping this version.
    mwhite
  • Reply 5 of 13
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    Fixed the screen brightness (frozen at max) from the 1st public beta as well as the no backlight coming out of hibernation.  So far none of the issues reported by Zomp.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    rob53 said:
    Apple fixed the sleep (not turning LCD back on) bug at least for my 2011 MBP. Now I can actually do some testing without worrying about having to restart all the time.
    Good to know, that drove me nuts lol.   But I am actually finding my old 2010 MBP is running ing so well after  wiping 10.13 dev beta and reinstalling  Sierra (no betas of that either) I am leaving well alone for now :)
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I've experienced the first beta as solid and reliable, given only one strategy:  that is to attain a clean reboot after installation.

This is a thing I've noticed after several 10.13 installations, that the installer 'finishes' the installation, reboots to desktop, but rebooting at that point brought me back into the installation, which had apparently not finished after all.  Rebooting again on "completion" I was again confronted with a continuing installation...after the THIRD reboot, the startup sequence was smooth, fast, and normal.

I got the idea when I just began using the machine normally following the installation.  After some days, I think, my Mac rebooted itself (no freeze, no panic, back into the interrupted installation);  on a different installation, I didn't take the bait, and would not use it...and in some hours (this time) it did the dance again, rebooting itself into mid-install.

So far, ALL the 'bugs' I've encountered were during that weirdly-protracted serial-installation period.  Rebooted all until each got a clean ('normal') startup and no problems at all since...that I've noticed.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    zomp said:
    BY FAR the WORST BUILD EVER
    The first public beta build was workable, 10.13 Beta (17A306f) is plagued with bugs. If you are thinking about public beta testing - skip this version. I can't keep up with all the bug reporting.
    Some issues I'm having is Fan running all the time (iMac 27-inch, Late 2012) 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB)
    Bubbles appear while completing forms on safari
    Flickering Safar preferences
    copy and paste not always working ctrl C
    computer becomes unresponsive for seconds
    Try it if you'd like, but I would recommend skipping this version.
     I think I know your problem, you are running on PC by mistake ;).  Copy is 'Command C' not 'Control C' on a Mac. 
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 9 of 13

I've experienced the first beta as solid and reliable, given only one strategy:  that is to attain a clean reboot after installation.

This is a thing I've noticed after several 10.13 installations, that the installer 'finishes' the installation, reboots to desktop, but rebooting at that point brought me back into the installation, which had apparently not finished after all.  Rebooting again on "completion" I was again confronted with a continuing installation...after the THIRD reboot, the startup sequence was smooth, fast, and normal.

I got the idea when I just began using the machine normally following the installation.  After some days, I think, my Mac rebooted itself (no freeze, no panic, back into the interrupted installation);  on a different installation, I didn't take the bait, and would not use it...and in some hours (this time) it did the dance again, rebooting itself into mid-install.

So far, ALL the 'bugs' I've encountered were during that weirdly-protracted serial-installation period.  Rebooted all until each got a clean ('normal') startup and no problems at all since...that I've noticed.
    Some issues I've seen like that can be USB related. I am assuming you are working on externals?  If not disregard the rest ...  :)   Try zapping your PRAM and also unplugging USB, switching off your dock and starting over in a different USB port if you have one. I had one bizarre USB issue where a newly converted APFS boot drive refused to bless.  Popped it in a Thunderbolt dock and it fired up no problems.  Once done it boots in a USB dock.  Go figure.  
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 10 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Avieshek said:
    Funny, I was just talking about the exact same thing with someone yesterday. The 17" MacBook Pro was the best size.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Avieshek said:
    Funny, I was just talking about the exact same thing with someone yesterday. The 17" MacBook Pro was the best size.
    A 17" MBA would be cool too, I've never owned an Air but my wife's is so thin and light I can't help laughing whenever I pick it up. Whe she asks me to get it out of her tote bag I can never find it among magazines lol.  They are amazing!
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 12 of 13
    looplessloopless Posts: 325member
    Working smooth as silk on a Mid 2012 Mac Book Pro (with upgraded to a SSD)  - I have encountered no issues at all even with the file system upgraded to APFS. . But it was a pretty clean machine to start with.