PayPal added as iPhone payment source internationally for App Store, Apple Music

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is adding PayPal as an option to fund Apple services accounts in Canada, Germany, Mexico, the Netherlands, and the UK, including purchases from the iTunes Music Store, subscriptions to Apple Music, and buys from the App Stores.

PayPal announced the addition in select countries on Tuesday, and will continue the deployment to users inside the United States to users that don't currently have the option. It is not clear why the announcement says that PayPal will expand the service to U.S. users, as it has been available and in use for some time for users prior to this announcement, including a device examined by AppleInsider.

The payment method can be used for purchases of apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books, as well asApple Music subscriptionsand iCloud storage. Other countries and expansion in the U.S. will happen soon, according to PayPal.

AppleInsider has reached out to Apple and PayPal for clarification of details surrounding the expansion to the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    That's great!   I use either PayPal or ApplePay whenever and wherever I can to shield my credit card from being exposed.   To combine the two is great!

But I suspect this has another advantage for parents:   You can fund PayPal 3 ways: 
    -  Tying it to a credit card
    -  Tying it to a bank account
    -  Adding money to a PayPal account.

This will enable a parent to allow a kid without a credit card to buy stuff without the parent's having to resort to ITunes Gift Cards.

(But, I think the Apple Family plan offers even more and is a better option for parents)
    lowededwookie
  • Reply 2 of 5
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Not sure why helping a trash talking competitor helps. Add Samsung pay next?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    AvieshekAvieshek Posts: 100member
    Add PayTym for India as well. 
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I have had PayPal as my iTunes payment method for a couple of years now. My Music subscription, my TV movie rentals all are processed through PayPal. Did I miss something here in the U.S.? 
  • Reply 5 of 5
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    This is probably in preparation for adding payment option in Messages app in iOS 11. 
    chasm