Apple rival Huawei debuts KFC-branded Android phone in China

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's main competition in China -- Huawei -- has taken the unusual step of releasing a Kentucky Fried Chicken edition of the Enjoy 7 Plus to mark the 30th anniversary of the restaurant chain arriving in the country.

The red Android phone is a mid-range model with features like a 5.5-inch, 720p display, Snapdragon 435 processor, 3 gigabytes of RAM and 32 gigabytes of storage, Forbes said. On the back is a fingerprint sensor and a laser etching of Colonel Sanders along with the year KFC arrived, 1987. Only 5,000 units are being made and sales are limited to China.

Buyers also get 10,000 "K dollars" -- a digital KFC currency -- and a pre-installed music app that builds playlists and lets users share them at a restaurant.

Cosmetically, the device bears some resemblance to the (Product)Red iPhone 7 Plus, which Apple launched in March. This is particularly true because of the look and placement of the phone's rear camera bump, though unlike Apple, Huawei's product is missing a second lens.

The (Product)Red iPhone 7 Plus.
The (Product)Red iPhone 7 Plus.

Despite originally catering to American tastes, KFC is the biggest restaurant chain in China, with over 5,000 locations nationwide.

Special-edition models are relatively common in the Android world because of the diversity of phone makers. Samsung, for instance, has released Batman and Iron Man versions of some phones, and Motorola created an R2D2 edition of the Droid 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple’s main competition ripoff artist in China -- Huawei -- has taken the unusual step of releasing a Kentucky Fried Chicken edition of the Enjoy 7 Plus to mark the 30th anniversary of the restaurant chain arriving in the country.

There, I fixed it for you. You’re welcome.

The ‘Enjoy 7’? Really? All your phones are belong to us.
    edited July 2017 caliMacProronnwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 47
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    KFC?    I dont get it.  
    watto_cobramwhite
  • Reply 3 of 47
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    Can I please order a bucket of crunchy Extra Crispy chicken, a large cole slaw, 4 biscuits and 2 large mashed potatoes and a side of Huawei?
    SnickersMagooronnlkruppmwhiteSpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 47
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Just returned from there. KFC is one of the most popular chains. Still...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 47
    It's incredible how dumb folks can be....and what they fall for....
    calironnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 47
    wizard69 said:
    KFC?    I dont get it.  
    When was the last time you thought of KFC? Today, just now.

Do you get it now?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Coming soon: Samsung Note 7 KFC -- extra crispy
    calikevin keeradarthekatlkruppchiaEsquireCatswatto_cobraGeorgeBMacfotoformatrobin huber
  • Reply 8 of 47
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Behold, the Chicken Phone! I hope they slather on an extra layer or two of oleophobic coating to counteract the pre-licked fingers pawing at the display. 
    radarthekatEsquireCatswatto_cobraretrogustoStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Clearly, someone's having a laugh. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 47
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Hm, would there be McD phones too? All these commercial diluted phones in red colour just tainted Red products that is genuinely to support HIV/AIDS cure.
    caliwatto_cobraretrogusto
  • Reply 11 of 47
    kevin kee said:
    Hm, would there be McD phones too? All these commercial diluted phones in red colour just tainted Red products that is genuinely to support HIV/AIDS cure.
    I'm waiting for Apple to team up with McDonalds on a Big Mac Book Pro
    radarthekatLordeHawkchiawatto_cobraretrogustoStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    KFC.... Product Red.... hmm, let's see...
    watto_cobrarobin huber
  • Reply 13 of 47
    One Big Mac with touch bar and a side of Apple slices, please. No, I don't want Google in it, Duck is fine.
    MacProbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 47
    I don't get how they became the largest chain in China.   I will admit that KFC can SOMETIMES be better than the average fast food chain but still it leaves a lot to be desired.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 47
    kevin kee said:
    Product RED is a slap in the face to any person that has died or fell ill from other more common and less controllable diseases.   Frankly I know more people that have died from Breast cancer than AIDS.    I just don't see our priorities being set right with Product RED.    That doesn't mean we ignore disease just that money should go to where the impact will be the greatest.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Classy!
  • Reply 17 of 47
    wizard69 said:
    I don't get how they became the largest chain in China.   I will admit that KFC can SOMETIMES be better than the average fast food chain but still it leaves a lot to be desired.
    After McDonald's, the 'cheapest' heart disease you can buy!

• Reply 18 of 47
    wizard69 said:
    kevin kee said:
    Product RED is a slap in the face to any person that has died or fell ill from other more common and less controllable diseases.   Frankly I know more people that have died from Breast cancer than AIDS.    I just don't see our priorities being set right with Product RED.    That doesn't mean we ignore disease just that money should go to where the impact will be the greatest.
    I'd argue KFC red slaps harder in the face.
    retrogustocolinng
  • Reply 19 of 47
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

So KFC are selling phones in China and CDs in Indonesia

I've heard people in other poor countries even buy food there.

mwhitecolinng
  • Reply 20 of 47
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    wizard69 said:
    kevin kee said:
    In one context I agree with you.  Governments should be run much more by scientific management.  But I wouldn't extend that to corporations or private citizens; those should be allowed to donate according to their passions or other criteria.  If Bill Gates wants to build better toilets for Africa, who am I to say how he should spend his philantrpjropic coins?  And if Apple wants to donate to the causes they do, and spend money on renewable energy, shareholders, who entrust management to make good decisions, can vote with their feet if they disagree.

Anyway, if everyone focused on the agreed worst problem then we wouldn't be focused on Breast cancer; we'd be focused on what humans are doing to our environment and our effects on all the innocent species of animals and plants we share this world with.  From pollution to habitat destruction to climate change.  
    edited July 2017 GeorgeBMacbeowulfschmidtStrangeDays