Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 seen launching in September against Apple's 'iPhone 8'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung will likely ship the Galaxy Note 8 in September "at the earliest," according to a report, a timeframe which would pit the device directly against Apple's new iPhones -- including the "iPhone 8."

Samsung's Galaxy S8+, on the right, may be the template for the Note 8.
Samsung's Galaxy S8+, on the right, may be the template for the Note 8.

The Note 8's launch window was claimed by DigiTimes, citing sources among Taiwanese parts suppliers. Multiple reports this week suggested that the device will be announced in August -- possibly Aug. 23 -- but it could be the device will only hit shelves a few weeks later.

Rumors have hinted the device will include a 6.3-inch AMOLED screen, and come with other high-end features such as 6 gigabytes of RAM and dual rear cameras, both of them rated at 12 megapixels with optical image stabilization. Similar camera specifications are present on Apple's iPhone 7 Plus.

The Note line's distinguishing feature is the S Pen, which this time may be paired with enhanced software for functions like translation, currency conversion, and pinning notes to the screen, since AMOLED will allow the display to stay on with minimal power drain. The "iPhone 8" is expected to have an edge-to-edge, 5.8-inch OLED screen, replacing a physical home button with a virtual one.

Samsung released the Galaxy Note 7 in August last year, hoping to pick up more sales by beating the iPhone 7 to market. The tactic backfired, with battery fires leading to not one but two recalls before the product was discontinued. Samsung took billions in losses, and switched to a more rigorous testing scheme for the Galaxy S8 to prevent any repeats.

Apart from the "iPhone 8," Apple is also rumored to be launching an "iPhone 7s" and "7s Plus." Those devices may offer some "8" features -- such as wireless charging -- but omit others, most notably using 4.7- and 5.5-inch LCDs in place of OLED, and retaining physical home buttons.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I bet Samsung are are all fired up ... 
    calicyberzombieStrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 42
    another attempt to pre-empt Apple's big day.
    This could end one of several ways
    - The Note is a magical product that gets back ordered for 3 months on day 1 AND the iPhone is a damp squib.
    - It falls flat on its face if Apple launch a really great product.

With things like this, I get the impression that sometimes Samsung acts like a little child when it comes to a forthcoming Apple device launch. They just have to be first.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 42
    - The Note is a magical product that gets back ordered for 3 months on day 1 AND the iPhone is a damp squib.

With things like this, I get the impression that sometimes Samsung acts like a little child when it comes to a forthcoming Apple device launch. They just have to be first.

Neither of those are realistic possibilities.

What actually happens is: the Note 8 is ridiculously unpopular amongst Samsung's own line of high end smartphones, and its true sales figures are never revealed as a result. The iPhone 8 goes on to monumental success, whether or not the Note 8 launches at all.
    calichiaradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 42
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    "That's exciting news!", said nobody.
    calichiaradarthekatanantksundaramwatto_cobraAvieshek
  • Reply 5 of 42
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member

I get the impression that Samsung acts like the underachieving younger brother who always tries to outshine his overachieving older brother, and fails miserably at every attempt.
    edited July 2017 lkruppradarthekatwatto_cobraAvieshek
  • Reply 6 of 42
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    I have to ask. Would somebody who was waiting for or seriously considering for a new iPhone "8" really buy the Samsung because it was available a week sooner? I would think not, nor would the opposite happen if somebody was anxiously waiting for the Samsung. Car companies all introduce the new models around the same time. Can you imagine a die hard Chevy truck owner jumping to a ford or Ram because it was available a week sooner?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 42
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    I'm...yawn...shocked they would do this. Again. And again. And....
    SendMcjakradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 42
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    They really have no choice but to announce and ship before the 10th anniversary "iPhone8.". Otherwise they will be at risk for being compared unfavorably to the Apple product.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 42
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    that sometimes Samsung acts like a little child
    Only sometimes? I get this vibe from them all the time.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 42
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "This is gonna be a hot product!"
    -Eric Schmidt talking about iPhone 2007

"This is a hot product!"
    -Customer complaining about his burnt down house to Sammy 2017
    StrangeDaysradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 42
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    badmonk said:
    They really have no choice but to announce and ship before the 10th anniversary "iPhone8.". Otherwise they will be at risk for being compared unfavorably to the Apple product.
    When did they announce last year's Note? What about the year before that? AFAICT there's nothing unusual about the timing. 
  • Reply 12 of 42
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    No one has a god given right to get to market first.

You can't expect Samsung to wait for Apple to announce first. Nor vice versa.

In fact, if the product is ready, it makes sense to align it with the Christmas season which is the only reason Apple is on the same basic release cycle.

People make fun of the Note 7 but the hard fact is that it was a very well received phone. It may have been a failure but it wasn't unpopular. The buzz around it was huge until the recall. The Note 8 will not be a step back in that sense and a lot of people already have it budgeted. They know it should be a big step up after the Note 7 recall.

Apple could bring forward it's announcement if it sees fit. They seem to be in the habit of pre-announcing things these days. The only reason for that would seem to be letting customers (previously left in the dark for years) know that they haven't been forgotten and to pre-emt moves by competitors.

All normal practice.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 13 of 42
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    mike1 said:
    I have to ask. Would somebody who was waiting for or seriously considering for a new iPhone "8" really buy the Samsung because it was available a week sooner? I would think not, nor would the opposite happen if somebody was anxiously waiting for the Samsung. Car companies all introduce the new models around the same time. Can you imagine a die hard Chevy truck owner jumping to a ford or Ram because it was available a week sooner?
    Samsung's intent would be to pit their device directly against Apple's so that it appears, in the eye of the public, as if their device is feature comparable to the iPhone. I bet their advertising team is twiddling their fingers waiting for Apple's launch. Also note that if Apple calls the iPhone, "7s", then Samsung's "8" may sound ahead of the game. Dunno, Apple may call it iPhone X?

It's physiological warfare ask a politician or Fox News, it works on the majority of people.
    anton zuykovradarthekatpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Keep in mind that Samsung has suffered almost no negative effects for their debacle with the Note 7. Sure, they lost a couple of billion (pocket change) but their image and brand have apparently escaped any tarnishing for releasing a defective product that could injure its customers. Volkswagen is another example of the new world we live in. Just admit you screwed up, take a public tongue lashing or two, and is well and forgotten. Just go back to what you were doing and forget it happened. The public seems willing to forgive and forget. Unless it were Apple that this had happened to. That would have been a mass extinction event.
    StrangeDaysradarthekatpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 42
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    They are going to launch it a month earlier and advertise the crap out of it until the iPhone releases and then find out a major product flaw that eventually causes all of them to be recalled?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 42
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    lkrupp said:

Keep in mind that Samsung has suffered almost no negative effects for their debacle with the Note 7. Sure, they lost a couple of billion (pocket change)
    That sum would not be pocket change even for Apple, let alone, Samsung. It is too large for that. If Apple were to lose 2.5% of their cash pile, that would be a huge deal. But, Sammy does not have 200B dollar cash pile! Besides, regardless of whether the rest of Samsung business is profitable or not, Samsung group will not allow their mobile division to be a recipient of the aid from other departments and divisions. They will just shut it down.

• Reply 17 of 42
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Gonna be a real firestorm!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Why isn't this called a "delay"? Why aren't articles lamenting the "panic" in Sammy HQ? 

This is bad management. Instead of having the summer to itself, it'll compete with a new iPhone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 42
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    badmonk said:
    I would love if we have a Signal Tap moment with Apple announcing its new 10th Anniversary iPhone as the iPhone 11. What would Samsung do then?
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 42
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    dachar said:
    badmonk said:
    I would love if we have a Signal Tap moment with Apple announcing its new 10th Anniversary iPhone as the iPhone 11. What would Samsung do then?
    Sell Apple more hardware? :)