Latest supply chain reports claim 'iPhone 7s' and 'iPhone 8' both face production delays

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Supply chain reports suggest that one of Apple's suppliers is having production difficulties in a part associated with the OLED screen which will cause mass production to start later than normal for the "iPhone 8" -- and the "iPhone 7s" has yet hit the assembly lines for reasons unknown.

The Chinese-language report on Monday from the Economic Daily News claim yet another component is the hold-up on the iPhone 8. Allegedly, the flexible motherboard associated with controlling the OLED screen is now the culprit, with one of three suppliers of the board having problems with quantity, quality, and profitability.

The report also claims that Apple is looking to replace the unnamed supplier from Taiwan with one from South Korea. Apparently, the report that Apple was leasing extra equipment to assist in production of critical components is unable to help the troubled manufacturer in question.

The report also claims that "iPhone 7s" family devices have not yet begun mass production, but does not claim that there are any problems forcing the later than expected commencement.

Reports of "delays" have circulated around the "iPhone 8" for several months now with the most recent from Wednesday -- but it is unclear what merit or impact they have. The device is still only rumored, and any reports or suggestions of delays would have to be relative to other models launching in September and shipping later in that month.

Furthermore, financial impact shipping an iPhone "late" may have on Apple may just serve to smooth out the financial results for the company, with one quarter's deferred shipments while waiting for a device offset to the next.

The "iPhone 8" is rumored to feature an edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch user space with the remainder dedicated to virtual buttons. Slimming or removing the bezels would allow Apple to fit a larger battery in both size and capacity into a form factor similar in size to the 4.7-inch iPhone 7. Also expected is a new 3D facial scanner .

With a complete redesign, plus the inclusion of a 2.5D curved glass back with wireless charging, some reports have pegged the starting price of the "iPhone 8" at more than $1,000, and others as much as $1,200.
badassbriggs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    The last 2 paragraphs were completely unnecessary. We don't need a summary of rumors. These are all things we know by now. But still a good read. 
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    The last 2 paragraphs were completely unnecessary. We don't need a summary of rumors. These are all things we know by now. But still a good read. 
    You do not, and that's good! We generally leave the history recap to the last few paragraphs, so if its a topic you're familiar with, those are safe to skip.

However, some do. You can't automatically assume that everybody is as knowledgeable as you or I.
    StrangeDayszoetmbbb-15dacharfastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 33
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    So should I upgrade my iphone 6 now or wait for the new ones? Seems like the iPhone flagship could be out until January or February in shipping quantity supplies. Not sure I want to wait another 7 or 8 months to upgrade. I could upgrade now then just wait a few months for the one year upgrade which seems like that will be just a couple of months after the flagship phone is actually in stock and available
  • Reply 4 of 33
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    The iPhone rumor company wants you to believe they are the real Apple company. 
  • Reply 5 of 33
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    mvigod said:
    So should I upgrade my iphone 6 now or wait for the new ones? Seems like the iPhone flagship could be out until January or February in shipping quantity supplies. Not sure I want to wait another 7 or 8 months to upgrade. I could upgrade now then just wait a few months for the one year upgrade which seems like that will be just a couple of months after the flagship phone is actually in stock and available
    Yes, You should upgrade now!
    Why would you wait 2-3 months and then get the same device cheaper + get a luxury of being able to see if a new model worth it before buying it? /s
    edited July 2017 zoetmbStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    You do not, and that's good! We generally leave the history recap to the last few paragraphs, so if its a topic you're familiar with, those are safe to skip.

However, some do. You can't automatically assume that everybody is as knowledgeable as you or I.
    I think calling the last two paragraphs "knowledge" might be stretching it a bit. 
  • Reply 7 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    So reporting, speculation on rumors now, cause one level of rumors is not enough...

Considering these types of message are there 100% of the time EVERY YEAR. I'm going to roll my eyes real hard.

And its doubtful both 7s and 8 or whatever are using OLED so not even sure what the hell are they saying; Apple is having "trouble" producing a phone similar to one their doing now...

Seems more like those on the production line leaking are utterly confused by what Apple is actually doing and are firehosing the rumors in the hope of getting one right.
    edited July 2017 Scot1palomine
  • Reply 8 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "That unannounced product you wanted may or may not be late..."
    —The Rumor Farm
    StrangeDaysScot1
  • Reply 9 of 33
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    bullshit.

this is the same story every year.
    Too much smoke for there not to be some fire. My guess is all phones will launch and immediately be back-ordered weeks. Similar to what happened with AirPods.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Maybe the 8 turns out to be too hard to pull off this year at all. 

Apple never said there would be an iPhone 8 this year. Maybe they'll decide to just stick with the usual upgrade cycle and only ship the 7s and 7s+. 

• Reply 11 of 33
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    sog35 said:
    bullshit.

Too much smoke for there not to be some fire. My guess is all phones will launch and immediately be back-ordered weeks. Similar to what happened with AirPods.
    Of course it would be impossible for this to be a rumor that would spread by competitors, yeah?  Let's say a South Korean company who's newest flagship is selling like crap...would be a good rumor to spread to try to prop up their next phone.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    igorsky said:
    sog35 said:
    bullshit.

Of course it would be impossible for this to be a rumor that would spread by competitors, yeah?  Let's say a South Korean company who's newest flagship is selling like crap...would be a good rumor to spread to try to prop up their next phone.
    What’s the point of Samsung spreading this rumor? Does anyone really think people are going to be put off buying the new iPhone because of these rumors? 
  • Reply 13 of 33
    stanthemanstantheman Posts: 332member
    If iPhone Pro (8) is delayed because of components shortages, then Apple + Foxconn have excess production capacity. That capacity will greatly shorten to perhaps 2-3 weeks the time needed to assemble about 10-12 million units of iPhone 7S for a late September launch. That may help explain the "delay" in 7S production mentioned in the article.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Ive re-started the Apple is doomed  clock. 
  • Reply 15 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    asdasd said:
    Ive re-started the Apple is doomed  clock. 
    Damn him!
    analogjackmattinozasdasd
  • Reply 16 of 33

Actually you guys usually use that as your place editorialize on rumors which is why most people find it annoying. Everyone knows it isn't going to cost $1,200.
    Surprised you didn't include "Touch ID on the back" too. You were doing so up until recently.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    lol  I feel like Apple News site should relegate "production problem" news stories to a sub-section on the website. 

I think i joined here in '07... "Production problems"  EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. Zzzzzzzz. And guess what? Aside from the white iPhone4... there havent really been any!
    Apple performance does have problems recently. First, the AirPods still not easily available, Second, Apple announced the HomePod announced in WWDC June will not ship until December. This is unlike the old Steve Jobs Apple never announcing vapor products. 
  • Reply 18 of 33
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    This is a regurgitation/piggy back on a report from Friday.

The problem with this is that Apple is reported to have ordered 100 million pieces of the part in question. This is only assumed to be destined for the so called "iPhone 8".

Since indications are that the "iPhone 8" will be a lower volume product it would be more logical to assume that these parts are destined for the "iPhone 7s". However, no one seems interested in iPhone 7s rumors so it is spun as an iPhone 8 rumor.

Rather than repeating this nonsense, smart journalists should be able to present a more cautious perspective. They should look for and point out all the red flags and inconsistencies in rumors and they should expose these reports that do not appear to be independent but rather piggy-backing on others.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    robjn said:
    This is a regurgitation/piggy back on a report from Friday.

The problem with this is that Apple is reported to have ordered 100 million pieces of the part in question. This is only assumed to be destined for the so called "iPhone 8".

Since indications are that the "iPhone 8" will be a lower volume product it would be more logical to assume that these parts are destined for the "iPhone 7s". However, no one seems interested in iPhone 7s rumors so it is spun as an iPhone 8 rumor.

Rather than repeating this nonsense, smart journalists should be able to present a more cautious perspective. They should look for and point out all the red flags and inconsistencies in rumors and they should expose these reports that do not appear to be independent but rather piggy-backing on others.
    I'm not certain that you actually read the article.
    fastasleep