Apple celebrates World Emoji Day with tease of new options in iOS 11, High Sierra

Posted:
in iPhone
To commemorate World Emoji Day, Apple has shared some new emoji included in the next versions of its operating systems, and is promoting some movies with titles made of the graphics.

New emoji include a woman with a headscarf, a bearded man and a breastfeeding emoji. New and food items such as sandwich and a coconut are coming.

More animals and mythical creatures have been added like a T-Rex, zebra, zombie and an elf. Starstruck, a new vomit emoji, and an "exploding head" have been added as well.

The App Store will be highlighting apps to create or do fun things with emoji, and iTunes Movies is also featuring the graphics in place of select movie titles.

Apparently, World Emoji Day on July 17 was selected because Apple unveiled it's iCal app at the 2002 MacWorld on that day, and the calendar emoji in iOS is set to that day. The day been celebrated back to 2014, with it hitting Twitter's top trending items during 2015's celebration. Apple joins Coca-Cola, Disney, General Electric, Google, and Twitter in celebrating the day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Glad to see that one of the most neglected and vilified (see many recent movies - yes, I'm looking at you Pixar - Toy Story 2!) minorities is finally going to be represented.

Pogonophobes of the world, back off!

Pogonophiles of the world, be happy!

Sidric The (bearded) Viking. 
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    Ok, I get Boss Baby, and Kong Skull Island.

And I think I see Wolf of Wall Street and maybe Devil wears Prada?

And them I am baffled.
    tgr1
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Well, dunno about the rest of you, but my life is now complete. 

• Reply 4 of 15
    If you ever wanted to set Emoji on fire and watch them plead for their lives, then this is it!
    https://appsto.re/ca/oZU1kb.i
    https://appsto.re/ca/oZU1kb.i

mknelson
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mknelson said:

And them I am baffled.
    My guesses are Boss Baby, Kong Skull Island, It, Devil Wears Prada, The Hunger Games, The Wolf of Wall Street and The Shallows.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    mknelson said:

And them I am baffled.
    My guesses are Boss Baby, Kong Skull Island, It, Devil Wears Prada, The Hunger Games, The Wolf of Wall Street and The Shallows.

That they haven't done Scanners with the exploding head emoji is a disappointment.

jbishop1039
  • Reply 7 of 15
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    One clear sign the end is nigh... World Emoji Day

But, I think that top row one with the mushroom cloud has something to do with the cognitive dissidence (and danger... you know, exploding amygdala) involved if one tries to make sense of the MSM these days.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 8 of 15
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
     cgWerks said:
    One clear sign the end is nigh... World Emoji Day

But, I think that top row one with the mushroom cloud has something to do with the cognitive dissidence (and danger... you know, exploding amygdala) involved if one tries to make sense of the MSM these days.
    It's just an explosive head. I get it from time to time when reading some of the comments section, but now at least I have an emoji to describe my reaction. Teehee.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 9 of 15
    haarhaar Posts: 563member

Where is the  sikh turban emoji? They have a “bandage head” male and female emoji, but It does not look like the sikh turban...
    they added the muslim woman emoji... why not the sikh turban emoji?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Yeah I can see that one with the atom bomb going off on someone's head going over really well in Japan. I'm surprised that's even in there.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    haar said:

Where is the  sikh turban emoji? They have a “bandage head” male and female emoji, but It does not look like the sikh turban...
    they added the muslim woman emoji... why not the sikh turban emoji?
    If you really want to know... it's because Sikhs aren't really on the radar of the political 'right' so they haven't become the counter-punch focus of the political 'left.'
  • Reply 12 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    amar99 said:
    Yeah I can see that one with the atom bomb going off on someone's head going over really well in Japan. I'm surprised that's even in there.
    Go be artificially morally indignant for the sake of people you've never met and haven't consulted (and who don't give a shit) somewhere else. Why aren't you whining about the existence of the gun emoji being "upsetting" to people who've had a family member murdered? Why aren't you whining about the existence of the crown emoji being "upsetting" to people who've suffered under monarchism? Why aren't you whining about the existence of the shark emoji being "upsetting" to people who've suffered shark attacks? Why aren't you whining about the existence of the tornado emoji being "upsetting" to people who've lost their homes in tornadoes? Why aren't you whining about the existence of the knife emoji being "upsetting" to people who've been stabbed? The fire emoji for forest fires? The cheeseburger emoji for obesity? The martini emoji for alcoholics? The plane emoji for airline accidents? The car emoji for car crashes? The train emoji for railway accidents? The boat emoji for sinking ships? The cigarette for smokers? The needle for heroin addicts? The baseball stadium emoji for all the little boys whose fathers wouldn't take them to the game because they didn't finish their chores?

Fuck's sake. I was going to shift gears a little bit and hit an entirely new category of indignation, but I better damn well have made my point because if you're going to behave like this, you're just not worth anyone's time.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 13 of 15
    tallest skil said:
    The fire emoji for forest fires?

... I better damn well have made my point because if you're going to behave like this, you're just not worth anyone's time.
    Triggered! Micro-aggression? :) (I live in BC)

My guess is that it was said a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I suppose I could be wrong. Society has gone so mad that little surprises me anymore.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 14 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    cgWerks said:
    My guess is that it was said a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I suppose I could be wrong. Society has gone so mad that little surprises me anymore.
    Poe's Law. It's a damn shame. Even the most absurd beliefs have become mainstream in the last few decades.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    tallest skil said:
    Poe's Law. It's a damn shame. Even the most absurd beliefs have become mainstream in the last few decades.
    Heh, though that doesn't necessarily work either, because the smily doesn't always mean one is just joking.
    tallest skil