Subway to use Apple Pay in new self-order kiosks & iPhone preorders

Posted:
in iPhone
Subway is in the middle of testing a new restaurant design that will make Apple Pay an integral option when ordering food, in some cases before people even walk through the door.

Upgraded locations will have self-order kiosks supporting both Apple Pay and Samsung Pay, the company said on Monday. Once an order is completed, people will be able to claim it at a dedicated pick-up space. The chain does already support Apple Pay, but only for conventional orders.

The pick-up space will also handle preorders made through the company's iPhone app, which is being updated with its own Apple Pay compatibility. Currently mobile users have to manually add a credit, debit, or Subway card.

To further attract a tech-savvy crowd, overhauled restaurants will include free Wi-Fi as well as USB charging ports at seats.

The new design -- dubbed "Fresh Forward" -- is being tested at a dozen locations worldwide. U.S. restaurants include ones in Chula Vista, Calif., Palmview, Texas, Hillsboro, Ore., Vancouver, Wash., and three Flordia markets: Orlando, Tamarac, and Winter Park.

Canadian pilots are taking place in Quebec, specifically Beauport and Granby. The one U.K. test city is Manchester.

It's not clear when the new store design will emerge from its test phase, but Subway said that "many elements of the new brand identity" will go global by the end of 2017.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Here's another place where Samsung trumps Apple bigly. 

If you have an iPhone, you can pay for your Subway sarnie and that's all you can do. 

If you had the good sense to buy a Samsung, then not only can you buy a sandwich, you can leave it next to your phone for five minutes and it'll toast it for you. 

Can't innovate, my ass!
    edited July 2017 lkruppking editor the gratelostkiwimacky the mackycalijbdragonwatto_cobralolliverjony0
  • Reply 2 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Headline makes it seem like an Pay exclusive. Not.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    lkrupp said:
    Yup. 

What they really meant was "Subway add NFC-enabled kiosks."
    tzm41
  • Reply 4 of 19
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Pretty sure I saw this just yesterday, at a relatively new Panera Bread location.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Yup. 

What they really meant was "Subway add NFC-enabled kiosks."
    Tho they are not necessarily the same – CVS takes NFC tap to pay, but excludes AP. 

But if a venue takes AP I don’t care if it’s exclusive or not. 
    edited July 2017 lostkiwijbdragonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 19
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    lkrupp said:
    It’ll really never be just Apple Pay as it’s just NFC payments. So that’s everything using NFC. 
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    I think the key Pay line vs. NFC is:

The pick-up space will also handle preorders made through the company's iPhone app, which is being updated with its own Apple Pay compatibility.
    jbdragonlolliver
  • Reply 8 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I almost wish Apple made proprietary hardware for Apple Pay and rolled out special iPads to retailers. 

I remember speaking about this years ago because retailers use dinosaurs.

YES it would have been expensive but I knew the knockoffs were gonna piggyback Apple's hard work. And instead of seeing the mess of logos you'll just see "Pay Visa MasterCard Discover". 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    cali said:
    I almost wish Apple made proprietary hardware for Apple Pay and rolled out special iPads to retailers. 

I remember speaking about this years ago because retailers use dinosaurs.

YES it would have been expensive but I knew the knockoffs were gonna piggyback Apple's hard work. And instead of seeing the mess of logos you'll just see "Pay Visa MasterCard Discover". 
    What hard work? What piggyback? The beginnings of the Infrastructure where already in place and in use before Apple Pay was announced. There was always going to be multiple types of NFC payments down the line. You were always going to see multiple types of logos and never just Apple Pay. It wasn’t ever though up like that at all as it’s all the using the same standards made possible by the rules set by Visa/MC. Not Apple. 

There is no advantage for a store to only accept Apple Pay and not other NFC payments. Nothing. Why would they? 

There is nothing that is a knock-off about this at all. Other things out can claim and I would agree, but not NFC payments. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 19
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Who in their right mind would ever eat at one of those horrible places?
    mobirddkhaley
  • Reply 11 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    spice-boy said:
    My last experience at a Subway's many years ago was nasty.  Will never step foot in one again.

Quiznos though is my better choice.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Google articles regarding DNA testing of Subways chicken. You will never eat there again. I haven't eaten there in years, way before I read the "chicken" article.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I've been to Subway a number of times and always use my Apple Watch to pay. Quick and simple. I'm not sure what the point is with these new kiosks? You're right there in front of the person to take your order(s). Watching as they do it to make sure it's right. The Kiosk seems counter productive. Unless there's Robots actually making the food, I just don't get it. What am I missing? I get the app. You can make a order when you're not there, and be able to just walk in and pick it up. That makes perfect sense and something other places do. Allowing Apple Pay in app is also a plus! But the Kiosks? I normally don't eat there. I buy what I want and leave and go home to eat. So charging stations? I guess if you have a Quick Charge phone and you carry a cable everywhere you go, that may come in handy. There's no Quick Charge iPhones. Quick Charge iPads if it's high enough amps.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    I guess this is how much of a NYC bubble I live in. I saw the headline and though the MTA was suddenly
    going to start accepting Apple Pay for MetroCards.  :'(
  • Reply 15 of 19
    sflocal said:
    spice-boy said:
    My last experience at a Subway's many years ago was nasty.  Will never step foot in one again.

Quiznos though is my better choice.
    I just make my own sandwiches. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jbdragon said:
    I've been to Subway a number of times and always use my Apple Watch to pay. Quick and simple. I'm not sure what the point is with these new kiosks? You're right there in front of the person to take your order(s). Watching as they do it to make sure it's right. The Kiosk seems counter productive. Unless there's Robots actually making the food, I just don't get it. What am I missing? I get the app. You can make a order when you're not there, and be able to just walk in and pick it up. That makes perfect sense and something other places do. Allowing Apple Pay in app is also a plus! But the Kiosks? I normally don't eat there. I buy what I want and leave and go home to eat. So charging stations? I guess if you have a Quick Charge phone and you carry a cable everywhere you go, that may come in handy. There's no Quick Charge iPhones. Quick Charge iPads if it's high enough amps.
    I presume they're getting customers ready to place most of their orders using these kiosks because they'll be laying off large numbers of their staff as the minimum wage rates rise across the country. Low-wage workers cannot provide enough value for businesses to keep them on at $11-$15/hr. wages. People won't pay 30% more for their food, so layoffs are what's next. Progressives did this.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    jbdragon said:
    I presume they're getting customers ready to place most of their orders using these kiosks because they'll be laying off large numbers of their staff as the minimum wage rates rise across the country. Low-wage workers cannot provide enough value for businesses to keep them on at $11-$15/hr. wages. People won't pay 30% more for their food, so layoffs are what's next. Progressives did this.

Um, who makes the sandwich?... and of the subways that i have been in MOB  (mississauga, oakville,Brampton)  or GTA seem to have only one person out front, and a person in back... a bare minimum of employees ... 

MCdonalds introduced the koisks and the number of order takers  has been reduced to one... the koisks are faster... (although, sometimes they make it a pain to use a coupon...)

• Reply 18 of 19
    dkhaleydkhaley Posts: 57member
    Awesome! An easier way to order crappy sandwiches on "bread".