Latest supply chain reports claim 'iPhone 7s' and 'iPhone 8' both face production delays

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    The last 2 paragraphs were completely unnecessary. We don't need a summary of rumors. These are all things we know by now. But still a good read. 
    You do not, and that's good! We generally leave the history recap to the last few paragraphs, so if its a topic you're familiar with, those are safe to skip.

However, some do. You can't automatically assume that everybody is as knowledgeable as you or I.
    Actually you guys usually use that as your place editorialize on rumors which is why most people find it annoying. Everyone knows it isn't going to cost $1,200.
    Surprised you didn't include "Touch ID on the back" too. You were doing so up until recently.
    I don't believe you'll find any editorializing in this piece about the rumored features.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 33
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member

Lets say Apple can produce 750,000 iPhones a day (I've read mid 500's back in 2013, and upwards to mid 800's more recently)

If they started building their first new model iPhone's tomorrow, by late September they would have roughly 40M iPhones on the shelf (60 days x 750,000 less ramp-up unit reduction of 5M).

Another 12 weeks production from a late September launch equals 63M additional phones, for a total of 103M phones if they starting their first one tomorrow. Q1 2017 ending December Apple sold 78M iPhones and IIRC they indicated they could have sold more than this if they had them - so lets say that could have been 85-90M. Still well below the production estimates.

Of course my math is crude, and I don't know if production is 7 days per week (which with multiple shifts I presume it is) or is fewer/more units per day. But to characterize there being nail-biting "delays" seems to be sort of silly at this stage. And I don't think Apple cares that much exactly when they ship as opposed to shipping something right.

edited July 2017
  • Reply 23 of 33
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    tzeshan said:
    lol  I feel like Apple News site should relegate "production problem" news stories to a sub-section on the website. 

I think i joined here in '07... "Production problems"  EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. Zzzzzzzz. And guess what? Aside from the white iPhone4... there havent really been any!
    Apple performance does have problems recently. First, the AirPods still not easily available, Second, Apple announced the HomePod announced in WWDC June will not ship until December. This is unlike the old Steve Jobs Apple never announcing vapor products. 
    The first iPhone was announced by Steve Jobs six months in advance. 
    StrangeDaysasdasd
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Apple were forced to announce the HomePod 6 months beforehand, since Amazon is moving aggressively with "Echo Show" and movies from Amazon Studios (saw one last nite in the movie theatre, after a veritable barrage of ads that included an Ad for Dolby 3D "available now on screen 3" -- we were watching screen 7, so presumably screen 3 is showing a different movie).  

Apple were forced to announce the iMac Pro 6 months early since they had so badly borked the Mac Pro update cycle, and people tend to use computers from companies that offer them a future upgrade path, even if the fact that they want to upgrade is a complete fantasy.  

Apple didn't absolutely need to announce that the Airpods would be available for Christmas, but hey, it just would have p'o'd  (ha ha, get it, p'o'd hee hee) people even more to announce just AFTER they spent their gifts money. 

Oops, forgot to say Cheers!
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 25 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    tzeshan said:
    lol  I feel like Apple News site should relegate "production problem" news stories to a sub-section on the website. 

I think i joined here in '07... "Production problems"  EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. Zzzzzzzz. And guess what? Aside from the white iPhone4... there havent really been any!
    Apple performance does have problems recently. First, the AirPods still not easily available, Second, Apple announced the HomePod announced in WWDC June will not ship until December. This is unlike the old Steve Jobs Apple never announcing vapor products. 
    Ssshhh, he's trying to promote a popular Troll Trope -- "Everything was better when Steve Jobs was alive!"
    fastasleep
  • Reply 26 of 33
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    tzeshan said:

The 2013 cylinder mac was pre-announce 6 months early at WWDC.    In general you don't want to let your competitors know your designs ahead of time, but I don't think that in this case Dell, HP, etc. decided to do copy cat workstations.   And that's why I think its good that apple pre-announced the iMac Pro and (vaguely) the Mac Pro in 2018 or 2019.   I bet a lot of business would be thrilled if Apple made a commitment to keeping their products regularly updated even if some of those update where only two years.

For the HomePod I think Apple announced it to keep people from trying out the Echo. Hoping they hold their money till December.   I'm expect and hoping for an October announcement of the HomePods and an updated 4K Apple TV release.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Apple will again come through despite the annual rumors of delays.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Apple were forced to announce the HomePod 6 months beforehand, since Amazon is moving aggressively with "Echo Show" and movies from Amazon Studios (saw one last nite in the movie theatre, after a veritable barrage of ads that included an Ad for Dolby 3D "available now on screen 3" -- we were watching screen 7, so presumably screen 3 is showing a different movie).  

Apple were forced to announce the iMac Pro 6 months early since they had so badly borked the Mac Pro update cycle, and people tend to use computers from companies that offer them a future upgrade path, even if the fact that they want to upgrade is a complete fantasy.  

Apple didn't absolutely need to announce that the Airpods would be available for Christmas, but hey, it just would have p'o'd  (ha ha, get it, p'o'd hee hee) people even more to announce just AFTER they spent their gifts money. 

Oops, forgot to say Cheers!
    They annonced early cause they want developper support. That's almost always the case.
    In parallel of course they want to restrict the higher end of the market from spending on Amazon's higher end devices though they probably don't care if they buy a lower end device.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Magic or skill, Apple CEO is a master of supply chain. One iPhone is built from hundreds of different components from different manufacturers. Multiply that by at least 200 millions iPhones to satisfy the demand for a year, that magnitude is beyond normal company's ability to manage. Granted some of the components might be off-the-shelf that can be ramped up earlier to supply for other products as well, but majority of the parts require the latest and the newest tech and design. It's just amazing how Apple keep all the suppliers tightly in control to prevent leaks, though some still do, it's hard to confirm.

• Reply 30 of 33
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    I predict the iPhone 7s will be available on time in the usual numbers but the yet to be announced iPhone Edition will only have a few tens of thousands of production validation test devices available initially and at $1499 will cause immense uproar yet sell as fast as Apple is able to make them. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    tzeshan said:

You can hardly call Airpods vapourware you see people using them all the time. 
  • Reply 32 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    I predict the iPhone 7s will be available on time in the usual numbers but the yet to be announced iPhone Edition will only have a few tens of thousands of production validation test devices available initially and at $1499 will cause immense uproar yet sell as fast as Apple is able to make them. 
    It would make a fair amount of sense is the "Edition/pro" phones release cycle going forward was late Jan. Give Apple something early in the year to talk about break up demand. Business buyers don't buy for xmas and many people will wait anyway.