Google resurrects Glass for enterprise as new AR headset for iPhone 7 is unveiled

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google appears to have ditched the concept of Google Glass as fashion accessory in its latest industry-focused revision to the augmented reality product, and a new headset called the Mira Prism will allow users to snap in an iPhone 7 to reflect the screen into the user's field of vision.

Google Glass was dormant for a long time, but never quite went away. In a blog post on Tuesday, Google's X has relaunched Google Glass with a new Glass Enterprise Edition, now available to more businesses after an extended trial with GE Aviation, and others.

Similar to how the iPad replaced scores of pounds of paper flight manuals, Google notes that the Glass Enterprise Edition replaces engine assembly manuals in the field, making maintenance tasks less arduous, and easier to update if need be. More than 50 partners are currently using the device, with AGCO, DHL, Dignity Health, NSF International, Sutter Health,The Boeing Company, and Volkswagen all listed as companies using the technology now.

The hardware has changed since Google founder Sergey Brin was spotted wearing it at fashion-centric events. Google claims to have made improvements in the design and hardware to further cut down on weight, make it more comfortable for long-term wear, and give it a longer battery life.

Google cites 12 partners worldwide are able to build custom solutions, and provide the hardware itself. It is not clear if Apple iPhone support that was promised over four years ago has materialized.

Mira Prism mounts iPhone 7 for head-mounted AR experience

Newly announced, the Mira Prism is an augmented reality headset that resembles a set of safety eyeglasses designed to incorporate an iPhone 7. The iPhone's display is reflected onto the headset through the Mira app, so it will not quite be universal.

Developers will get access to the SDK for the headset in August, with the hardware itself being available to them in the fall. Retail customers will be able to purchase the headset for $99 in time for Christmas, with pre-orders already underway.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Google's drunk.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrajkichlineSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 22
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    What the honest f... did I just watch
    watto_cobraSpamSandwichanton zuykov
  • Reply 3 of 22
    talexytalexy Posts: 80member
    Oh yeah, happy people with the most awkward device on their nose, playing silly games. April 1st? 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobraanton zuykovSpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 22
    talexytalexy Posts: 80member
    Reminds me of the Microsoft infommercials a few years ago. 
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Never heard of Mira Prism until this article but from a pure investing standpoint it might prove smart to take a look at Kopin as a Augmented Reality component play on this news if they did indeed replace Himax for the display.  That could be very significant going forward.

As others have noted, Kopin's also a company that Apple might want to acquire before Google beats them to it because they own a ton of wearable patents and microOLED tech that is industry leading but would take time and resources to scale up production; they even have some microphone tech they call whisper voice chip (some video's of it on youtube) , that might prove very useful to both apple and google as augmented reality and wearable get commercialized.  

Note that when Google Invested in Himax (a 6.3% position), the stock went up 34% that day.   Himax HIMX about 4 times the market cap of Kopin KOPN, so do some further due diligence if investing.  Small Caps can move a lot.  Up and DOWN.  

• Reply 6 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ireland said:
    Google's drunk.
    This article is quite misleading unless you read it very carefully. I don't know if the author intended that but IMO he/she did so on purpose as I can see no other reason to mention the two in the same article. The Mira Prism has zilch to do with Google even if the author wants us to mistakenly assume it does. 

For a much clearer one about Google Glass Enterprise see here:
    https://www.wired.com/story/google-glass-2-is-here/

The Mira Prism product the author mentions is a silly one IMO, and not anything Google is offering.
    This video is Google Glass Enterprise in use (tho until very recently they avoided mentioned Skylight was Google Glass as it was still being developed under the radar).

edited July 2017
  • Reply 7 of 22
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member
    irnchriz said:
    Shiny happy people.
    rezwitsanton zuykov
  • Reply 8 of 22
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    gatorguy said:
    ireland said:
    Google's drunk.
    This article is quite misleading unless you read it very carefully. I don't know if the author intended that but IMO he/she did so on purpose as I can see no other reason to mention the two in the same article. The Mira Prism has zilch to do with Google even if the author wants us to mistakenly assume it does. 

The Mira Prism product the author mentions is a silly one IMO, and not anything Google is offering. 
    You might want to back off on your accusations; I don't see what you do, so let's call it perception bias on both our parts.

I myself wouldn't have mixed these two minor news items, but it looks more like the least editorial effort to do so; a twofer of click bait.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    gatorguy said:
    ireland said:
    Google's drunk.

This video is Google Glass Enterprise in use. The video the author included is funny tho even if it has nothing to do  with Google. 

Two minor news items on AR that we're covering in one piece. Read the lede again - the distinction between the two companies is clear. The subhead in the piece breaks up the two news items. There's not enough weight in either item for this to be two pieces at AI.

The video is PR from the Mira Prism, and it's pretty clear that's what it is, based on its location in the story.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    gatorguy said:
    ireland said:
    Google's drunk.

This video is Google Glass Enterprise in use. The video the author included is funny tho even if it has nothing to do  with Google. 

Two minor news items on AR that we're covering in one piece. Read the lede again - the distinction between the two companies is clear. The subhead in the piece breaks up the two news items. There's not enough weight in either item for this to be two pieces at AI.

The video is PR from the Mira Prism, and it's pretty clear that's what it is, based on its location in the story.
    Fair enough, tho IMO there was plenty of background for an article involving only Google Glass if you were going to mention the product at all.  I'm sure it comes as a surprise Glass was still being developed and explaining what it is and could be being used for beyond the mention in the blog post would seem appropriate, perhaps with a  linked example as you did with the Prism.  

In hindsight it should be evident that more than one poster didn't catch the fact two different and unrelated products were being discussed (I think the headline is more ambiguous that you may have thought)  and assumed the linked video had to do with Google Glass Enterprise. Mixing the two, and only including a video for the sillier one, can lead a casual reader to confusion IMO. 
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 11 of 22
    "Mira Prism will allow users to snap in an iPhone 7 to reflect the screen into the user's field of vision." I have glasses that refract the screen into my field of vision.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    AppleInsider said: It is not clear if Apple iPhone support that was promised over four years ago has materialized.
    That applied to a now-abandoned consumer product. Google Glass Enterprise Edition does not rely on a smartphone at all AFAICT so whether it "supports the iPhone" isn't really pertinent is it?
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 13 of 22
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    irnchriz said:
    A stupid F gadget...dumbest one ever!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    fallenjt said:
    irnchriz said:
    A stupid F gadget...dumbest one ever!
    Yes it's an odd one. 
    edited July 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    gatorguy said:
    AppleInsider said: It is not clear if Apple iPhone support that was promised over four years ago has materialized.
    That applied to a now-abandoned consumer product. Google Glass Enterprise Edition does not rely on a smartphone at all AFAICT so whether it "supports the iPhone" isn't really pertinent is it?
    Sure it is. The device still can communicate with smartphones and computers without a USB cable for updates of data -- but if that connectivity for updates and whatnot has been implemented is not clear.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    gatorguy said:
    ireland said:
    Google's drunk.

This video is Google Glass Enterprise in use (tho until very recently they avoided mentioned Skylight was Google Glass as it was still being developed under the radar).

Nice video.  I know that one significant cost area when we build a spacecraft is the labor for building harnesses...and we don't have nearly the number of harnesses that a modern airliner has.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Never heard of Mira Prism until this article but from a pure investing standpoint it might prove smart to take a look at Kopin as a Augmented Reality component play on this news if they did indeed replace Himax for the display.  That could be very significant going forward.

As others have noted, Kopin's also a company that Apple might want to acquire before Google beats them to it because they own a ton of wearable patents and microOLED tech that is industry leading but would take time and resources to scale up production; they even have some microphone tech they call whisper voice chip (some video's of it on youtube) , that might prove very useful to both apple and google as augmented reality and wearable get commercialized.  

Note that when Google Invested in Himax (a 6.3% position), the stock went up 34% that day.   Himax HIMX about 4 times the market cap of Kopin KOPN, so do some further due diligence if investing.  Small Caps can move a lot.  Up and DOWN.  

Apple has ALREADY bought a major microled concern and has tons of wearable patents also, in particular in the AR field, so not sure why they'd want more of the same.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I could get exactly the same results as the Mira Prism at less than 5 cents cost by writing "I'm a Dork" on my forehead with a Sharpie.
    edited July 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 19 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy said:
    ireland said:
    Google's drunk.

Read the lede again -  and 'read it very carefully'.  

There fixed that for you ... ;)
    gatorguy
  • Reply 20 of 22
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Typically product looking for a problem to solve.

This falls into a class of products which engineers and designers find to be an interesting problem to solve but do not realize no one cares if this problem is solved. Do any of you think a Mechanic is going to wear these while trying to work on your car so they have the most update repair information. Hell no, no repair shop cares if they fix it the first time, repeat business for the same issue is profitable business especially under warranty when the Car manufacture pays for the repair.