Review: Koogeek P1 Smart Plug an affordable way to get started with Apple's HomeKit

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    amarkapamarkap Posts: 69member
    aaa
    edited July 2017 williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 29
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    The iHome smart plugs are homekit compatible, and do not block the adjacent outlet. You can have two of them plugged in, one in each outlet, and they fit just fine.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    While the Koogeek plugs are cheap and work fine, I WOULD NOT recommend them, in fact, stay away for now.  Koogeek does NOT use basic https security on it's website OR in their mobile app! So when you go to create your user account with Koogeek either in the app or on the website, it's all in unencrypted clear text!  This is completely UNACCEPTABLE, especially from a home automation company where security should be of paramount importance!

DO NOT USE KOOGEEK, until they get their website and apps secured properly!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    macsims said:
    While the Koogeek plugs are cheap and work fine, I WOULD NOT recommend them, in fact, stay away for now.  Koogeek does NOT use basic https security on it's website OR in their mobile app! So when you go to create your user account with Koogeek either in the app or on the website, it's all in unencrypted clear text!  This is completely UNACCEPTABLE, especially from a home automation company where security should be of paramount importance!

DO NOT USE KOOGEEK, until they get their website and apps secured properly!
    You don't need to register with Koogeek on the website to use the products. Like I said, update your firmware with the app and forget about it after that.

What's your source on the lack of security on the mobile app for iOS?
  • Reply 25 of 29
    macsimsmacsims Posts: 3member
    But you do need to register if you want to use the app and access power usage and historical data.

To check if the app was properly secured, I set my iphone to use my MBP as a proxy, and used Charles Proxy to monitor the traffic from my iPhone.

The fact they don't use basic https to secure data communication brings everything else they do into serious question.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    macsims said:
    But you do need to register if you want to use the app and access power usage and historical data.

To check if the app was properly secured, I set my iphone to use my MBP as a proxy, and used Charles Proxy to monitor the traffic from my iPhone.

The fact they don't use basic https to secure data communication brings everything else they do into serious question.
    I just tried it using my MBP as a proxy, and the app is fully secured. I'll contact the vendor regarding your concerns.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    All of these 'solutions' are the equivalent of dropping a piano to kill an insect. No thanks, I'll wait a couple of years.
    EXACTLY! Why not an in-wall socket replacement? We have some that include two USB ports. Why not build it into the wall to make BOTH plugs actually usable, and then get rid of the stupid light entirely (because why would I want to waste more power?
  • Reply 28 of 29
    macsimsmacsims Posts: 3member
    Just checked again.  App still not using HTTPS/SSL for login to koogeek.com.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 29
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    All of these 'solutions' are the equivalent of dropping a piano to kill an insect. No thanks, I'll wait a couple of years.
    EXACTLY! Why not an in-wall socket replacement? We have some that include two USB ports. Why not build it into the wall to make BOTH plugs actually usable, and then get rid of the stupid light entirely (because why would I want to waste more power?
    An LED is an insignificant power drain. Fractions of a penny a year. Remember, in order for the outlet to respond to HomeKit commands when it's 'off', it has to be 'on' in a few ways: it has to be powering on an MCU and wifi or bluetooth radios so that it can be alive enough to receive the command to switch 'on' and power the plugged in device. An LED isn't an appreciable drain when you're already running wifi radios.

Additionally, many users are afraid of smart home stuff because they think it all requires paying an installer to install and configure. Some people aren't comfortable with shutting off the breaker and doing the wiring in wall - and many outlets are backwired, which means finding the spring release to release the romex, or cutting them, stripping them, and inserting them in the right locations on the replacement outlet.

If any of that is at all confusing, people won't do it. And they won't.

iDevices makes the in-wall outlet you're asking for: https://store.idevicesinc.com/idevices-wall-outlet/ and they also make an in-wall switch.

iHome makes smart plugs that allow both outlets to be usable at the same time.
    edited July 2017