New 'iPhone 8' renders based on case manufacturer CAD files show large power/lock button

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2017
While case manufacturers do not typically have inside knowledge on Apple's future product plans, a CAD file obtained from one case maker shows what the company expects the "iPhone 8" to look like, including a larger power/lock button and no rear Touch ID.

Published on Tuesday by Forbes, the design from case manufacturer Nodus shows the notch at the top of the screen with penetrations for sensors, the speaker, and the camera. The model also shows the vertically aligned dual-lens camera on the rear of the phone.

The report claims that Apple reports of Apple falling back on a "less ambitious 'Plan B' are unfounded." If the design presented is accurate, it proves is that the sensor won't be on the rear of the phone -- but not specifically where it is.

While previously noted in April, the design published by Forbes also brings attention to a larger side power/lock button than is installed on the iPhone 7 Plus. Some speculation started after the first reveal that some form of Touch ID may be embedded there -- but there is no way to tell from the latest render.

Tuesday's report claims that there is a "more protruding camera" in the "iPhone 8" than the iPhone 7, but that does not appear to actually be the case, based on the render provided.

Nodus is apparently so certain of the design that it is basing its retail case offerings off of the data. It is not clear if Nodus has its own source, or is piggybacking off of other rumors and leaks from the supply chain. Apple does not generally provide new iPhone dimensions more than a week or two before launch to vendors, if before reveal at all.

Regardless of design, the "iPhone 8" is rumored to be the first Apple phone with an OLED panel with 5.1 inches of usable space, and a bottom strip of virtual buttons. Also rumored to be included is a new 3D facial scanner possibly supplanting the Touch ID user identification system.

Early reports suggested a cost of more than $1,000. More recent discussions have centered around the possibility of the device retailing for as much as $1,200.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member
    Aiyayai !
  • Reply 2 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Jesus, iPhone is too big. A news article on a rumor about a possibly larger power button. A whole article.

Aiyayai !

When iPhone first released news outlets were running stories about it being too expensive etc. and one headline was:
    "The iYayai phone"
  • Reply 3 of 16
    stanthemanstantheman Posts: 332member
    Even if it does not have fingerprint identification (Touch ID), the iPhone Pro will have multiple tools for 'guessing' whether its owner is present. Those include face recognition, voice recognition, key words (verbal), on-screen finger gestures or finger positioning, a prearranged movement of the entire device or the presence of a designated Apple Watch. Probabilities could be instantly computed by iPhone Pro, and any uncertainty could trigger other tests. Apple engineers have access to on-board AI, and can make use of a wide range of identifiers that we users may not even be aware of.
    edited July 2017 patchythepirateStrangeDays2old4fun
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I've never got used to the power button being opposite the volume controls, despite owning the 6 and now 6S. Seems like about 80% of the time I'm trying to turn the volume up I end up locking the device. I miss it being on the top :(
    StrangeDaysretrogustofarmboyCynflortyler82dewme[Deleted User]
  • Reply 5 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    yeah i have to say power button on top was better. Still is on the new ipad pro, too. 
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    cali said:
    Jesus, iPhone is too big. A news article on a rumor about a possibly larger power button. A whole article.

Aiyayai !

When iPhone first released news outlets were running stories about it being too expensive etc. and one headline was:
    "The iYayai phone"
    That, and the camera penetration, and Touch ID location.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    On my iPhone 6 the top of the power button aligns horizontally with the top of the volume-up button. It's no accident.

The button in this render does not align neatly with one of the buttons on the other side - this would hurt Jonathan Ive's eyes - it is a big red flag!

edited July 2017
  • Reply 8 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Even if it does not have fingerprint identification (Touch ID), the iPhone Pro will have multiple tools for 'guessing' whether its owner is present. Those include face recognition, voice recognition, key words (verbal), on-screen finger gestures or finger positioning, a prearranged movement of the entire device or the presence of a designated Apple Watch. Probabilities could be instantly computed by iPhone Pro, and any uncertainty could trigger other tests. Apple engineers have access to on-board AI, and can make use of a wide range of identifiers that we users may not even be aware of.
    Or it’ll have Touch ID under display and we can all conclude again that tech journalism is an oxymoron.
    farmboy
  • Reply 9 of 16
    robjn said:
    On my iPhone 6 the top of the power button aligns horizontally with the top of the volume-up button. It's no accident.

The button in this render does not align neatly with one of the buttons on the other side - this would hurt Jonathan Ive's eyes - it is a big red flag!

Nah, it's just as balanced if the center of the power button aligns with the center of the volume toggle (as it appears to in this picture). In fact as I look at my 6s now, it looks a bit off that the right side button only aligns with the top button on the left side.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    farmboyfarmboy Posts: 152member
    I like the power button on the top, but if that's not possible, how about upper side corner. I've accidentally hit the power button a hundred times just handling my wife's 6S. There may be technical reasons for the current location, but not ergonomic ones, certainly.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    mobius said:
    I've never got used to the power button being opposite the volume controls, despite owning the 6 and now 6S. Seems like about 80% of the time I'm trying to turn the volume up I end up locking the device. I miss it being on the top :(
    Me too. But it could also be a little lower down the middle, like the Android phones. Someone at Apple did not think of this detail.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    mobius said:
    Add me to the list of those who seriously dislike the side mounted power button. After way too many times where I’d turn off the phone while trying to grip the phone to take a landscape photo using a volume button I finally gave up using the hardware buttons at all and regressed to using the stupid on-screen button to snap photos. Why is the on-screen button stupid? Because the plus sized iPhones are behemoths to handle with only one hand and hitting the on-screen button reduces my grip on the phone, increasing the likelihood of me dropping the phone while taking a photo. The other major annoyance is the motion of sliding the phone into a front pocket often results in me turning on the phone just as it’s sliding into my pocket. Any way you cut it, the sidewinder power button design kinda sucks - for me at least. Making the power button even larger will make a questionable design decision even worse. Perhaps Apple can ditch the current power button altogether and find another hardware mechanism to power the phone up from the totally powered down state.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    AI_lias said:
    mobius said:
    Me too. But it could also be a little lower down the middle, like the Android phones. Someone at Apple did not think of this detail.
    The android position is the worst of all IMO. I am forever turning off the screen when trying to lower the volume. 
  • Reply 14 of 16
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    dewme said:
    mobius said:
    Add me to the list of those who seriously dislike the side mounted power button. After way too many times where I’d turn off the phone while trying to grip the phone to take a landscape photo using a volume button I finally gave up using the hardware buttons at all and regressed to using the stupid on-screen button to snap photos. Why is the on-screen button stupid? Because the plus sized iPhones are behemoths to handle with only one hand and hitting the on-screen button reduces my grip on the phone, increasing the likelihood of me dropping the phone while taking a photo. The other major annoyance is the motion of sliding the phone into a front pocket often results in me turning on the phone just as it’s sliding into my pocket. Any way you cut it, the sidewinder power button design kinda sucks - for me at least. Making the power button even larger will make a questionable design decision even worse. Perhaps Apple can ditch the current power button altogether and find another hardware mechanism to power the phone up from the totally powered down state.
    The on screen home button won't be coming to the plus sized behemoths, only to the smaller iPhone 8
  • Reply 15 of 16
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I trust that Apple will make a groundbreaking iPhone 8 with the coolest design that technological advances permit.
    Wallet ready and waiting.