New EDM documentary 'Kygo: Stole the Show' coming to Apple Music on July 26

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple's latest documentary, "Kygo: Stole the Show," will premiere as an Apple Music exclusive on July 26, according to an official trailer.

The film will trace the Norwegian DJ and pianist's career from its formative phases through to a January 2016 concert at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, Apple said. The company is promising an "intimate and unfiltered" look at the star's life, as well as cameos by musicians like Pete Tong and Steve Aoki.

The movie will mark a change of pace from most Apple Music documentaries, which have concentrated on genres like pop, rap and hip-hop. One of the most recent -- "Can't Stop, Won't Stop," about Bad Boy Records -- premiered on June 25 to negative reviews.

Apple is placing an increasing emphasis on video as a way of distinguishing Apple Music from alternatives like Spotify and Pandora. Outside of documentaries, the company's stable includes content like the reality TV show "Planet of the Apps" -- also poorly reviewed -- and "Carpool Karaoke," the latter set to debut on Aug. 8.

The company may be looking to step up its efforts. On June 16 it announced the hiring of two former Sony Pictures Television executives, Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg, best known for programming achievements like "Breaking Bad" and "The Crown."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Music related video contents on Apple Music = good and makes sense
    Planet of the Apps on Apple Music = Um..why?
    macky the macky
  • Reply 2 of 6
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    So when are they going to change the Apple Music name to something more related to video content. Sort of like MTV showing regular TV shows.
    macky the macky
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    So basically more crap that really won't get anyone to sign up to Apple Music! I have no idea who this person is, but it really doesn't change anything.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Sounds like a real nightmare. An EDM "artist" documentary? Good lord. I'd rather listen to a drill press for 12 straight hours.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    jbdragon said:
    So basically more crap that really won't get anyone to sign up to Apple Music! I have no idea who this person is, but it really doesn't change anything.
    Kygo info from Wikipedia:

He garnered international attention with his remix of the track "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran, which has received over 50 million plays on SoundCloud and 65 million views on YouTube[9]and his single "Firestone" which has over 400 million views on YouTube with an additional 500 million plays on the music streaming service Spotify, as of August 2016.[10][11] Kygo has accumulated over 1 billion views on his music on SoundCloud and YouTube.

Seems millions of people may disagree with you. Just because a few folks here in Appleinsider world 🌎 don't know who he is or like EDM doesn't make an artist irrelevant. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jcs2305 said:
    jbdragon said:
    Kygo info from Wikipedia:

He garnered international attention with his remix of the track "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran, which has received over 50 million plays on SoundCloud and 65 million views on YouTube[9]and his single "Firestone" which has over 400 million views on YouTube with an additional 500 million plays on the music streaming service Spotify, as of August 2016.[10][11] Kygo has accumulated over 1 billion views on his music on SoundCloud and YouTube.

Seems millions of people may disagree with you. Just because a few folks here in Appleinsider world 🌎 don't know who he is or like EDM doesn't make an artist irrelevant. 
    EDM is electronic disco factory music. Total brainless rubbish.