Hulu lands nearly 3,000 new TV episodes in deal with 20th Century Fox

Posted:
in General Discussion
Hulu has inked a deal with 20th Century Fox that will add nearly 3,000 episodes of the studio's popular shows to the streaming service, the company said on Wednesday.

Announced through Hulu's website, the agreement includes streaming rights to every episode of long-running comedies and dramas like "How I Met Your Mother," "Burn Notice," "Bones" and "Glee." The deal also includes all 11 seasons of "M*A*S*H" and the every episode of "NYPD Blue."

Hulu will be adding the following content over the next few weeks:
Hit Comedies: How I Met Your Mother, Raising Hope, The Bernie Mac Show, Better Off Ted, Reba, Life in Pieces

Long-Running Dramas: NYPD Blue, Bones, Glee, Burn Notice, White Collar, The Practice

Iconic Series: M*A*S*H, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, St. Elsewhere, Hill Street Blues, The Bob Newhart Show

Fan Favorites: Don't Trust the B--in Apartment 23, The Grinder, Blue Collar, Saving Grace, Lie To Me, Graceland

Cult Hits: Dollhouse, Wilfred, The Glades
In addition to the shows listed above, 20th Century Fox is granting Hulu access to other shows that have yet to be announced.

Hulu expanded its Fox library offering recently in another deal with Fox that delivered animated comedies like "Bob's Burgers," "American Dad!," "Futurama" and "The Cleveland Show" to the subscription streaming service. The company acts as the exclusive subscription-based streaming provider of other Fox titles including "This Is Us," "Fresh Off the Boat," "Empire," "The Last Man on Earth," "Homeland" and more.

The TV-centric streaming platform has been on a tear recently with exclusive partnerships with HBO and Cinemax, as well as the launch of a new live TV service featuring content from a number of major studios including ABC, CBS, ESPN, FOX, FX, NBCSN, FS1, History Channel and TNT, among others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    smack416smack416 Posts: 63member
    Now someone make this happen in Canada, please. They only released one season of St Elsewhere on DVD and the first two seasons of Hill Street Blues. #wantmore
  • Reply 2 of 17
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Odd that it took so long for this, given that Fox owns 30% of Hulu.
    almondroca
  • Reply 3 of 17
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    smack416 said:
    Now someone make this happen in Canada, please. They only released one season of St Elsewhere on DVD and the first two seasons of Hill Street Blues. #wantmore
    You're probably shit out of luck for a long time due to archaic methods of distribution rights. If you want an old show that's only available in the US I'd find a VPN whose IP address blocks aren't flagged by the video streaming service (Netflix seems to be a site that takes that very seriously), buy the DVDs from Amazon in the US (which seems to be available as a complete set for Hill Street Blues, only), or even just torrent those old episodes (which may be the only way to get all of St. Elsewhere, even if you were in the US).
  • Reply 4 of 17
    aruhligaruhlig Posts: 7member
    What about 24?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    aruhlig said:
    What about 24?
    It sucked?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Hulu is terrible. Bad plans. Bad service. Bad everything. Sad to see some of these shows lingering on this crappy platform.
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 17
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    What the heck is Cue and crew up to.... I find it quite unbelievable.
    cali
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Would love watching M*A*S*H and the Bob Newhart Show!
    almondroca
  • Reply 9 of 17
    "The company acts as the exclusive subscription-based streaming provider of other Fox titles including "This Is Us," "Fresh Off the Boat," "Empire," "The Last Man on Earth," "Homeland" and more."

Fox does *not* produce Homeland (Showtime), nor "This is Us" (NBC I think, or one of the other broadcast networks), and I believe Empire is from HBO... though I could be wrong about that one.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    "The company acts as the exclusive subscription-based streaming provider of other Fox titles including "This Is Us," "Fresh Off the Boat," "Empire," "The Last Man on Earth," "Homeland" and more."

Fox does *not* produce Homeland (Showtime), nor "This is Us" (NBC I think, or one of the other broadcast networks), and I believe Empire is from HBO... though I could be wrong about that one.
    Yes, 20th Century Fox does produce all of those shows.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    ike17055ike17055 Posts: 121member
    Appleish said:
    aruhlig said:
    What about 24?
    It sucked?
    You obviously live on a different planet than the rest of us -- unless you are referring to the reboot...
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Appleish said:
    Hulu is terrible. Bad plans. Bad service. Bad everything. Sad to see some of these shows lingering on this crappy platform.
    Yeah ... everything that you said is totally wrong. Bad plans? Essentially the same subscription rate as Netflix and Amazon Prime. The only difference is that the cheapest tier for Hulu has commercials. Bad service? Yeah right. I have NEVER had service problems with Hulu ON ANY DEVICE and I have (or have had) them all: iOS, macOS, old gen Apple TV, Android, Linux, Windows, Fire TV, Roku and "smart" Blu-Ray players with proprietary platforms etc. I have experienced far more interruptions/lag/buffering/outright "this is temporarily unavailable please try again later" on Netflix. Hulu's UX/UI is comparable to Netflix and is far better than Amazon Prime. And Hulu is supported by all operating systems and browsers. I get it ... you need to bash Hulu because Apple HOPES to launch a live TV service that will compete with Hulu (and YouTube and Sling and Plex and a bunch of other live TV providers) SOME DAY. Never mind that Apple practically invented the whole industry with iTunes and the first-gen Apple TV box nearly 20 years ago in the first place, sat on this tech for years and did absolutely nothing with it. Even after Netflix and YouTube went big Apple did nothing with expanding iTunes from being a music and video download service whose tech really wasn't much beyond Napster. Well hey, at least there you can say that Apple is a hardware company and not a software and services company, right? Except that it took years after Roku and Chromecast came out for Apple to finally make Apple TV a modern product. And even now it lacks capabilities that the better Roku, Fire TV and even Android TV boxes have. Apple could have dominated this space, which would have driven demand for their hardware through the roof. Don't blame the competition for doing the innovating, risk-taking and infrastructure investment years before Apple decided to get around to it.
    anantksundaramgatorguy
  • Reply 13 of 17
    "Hulu is terrible" is probably referring to the new UI/UX on current gen Apple TV. The UI is beautiful, but the UX is ridiculously laborious. Theres no clear path to get to where you were or want to be, but it will definitely serve up what Hulu wants you to see. It also seems like seamless compatibility with the TV app was simply not a priority. I can deal with those things. My one pet peeve is that once you've caught up on a season, or finished a series, it will randomly select a new series — almost always one you never want to see, ever — and drop it in your Watch Now queue and start playing it.
    edited July 2017 almondroca
  • Reply 14 of 17
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    While some of those shows were certainly quality shows in their day, I have no desire to see any of them.   And if one hasn't cut the cord, many of them are available on various cable channels.   
  • Reply 15 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    So this explains why season one of Dollhouse was removed from Netflix...? My friend and I didn't get to finish it before this happened.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    smack416 said:
    You don't get access to good online movies and TV shows because of Canadian copyright law.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Appleish said:
    Yeah ... everything that you said is totally wrong. Bad plans? Essentially the same subscription rate as Netflix and Amazon Prime. The only difference is that the cheapest tier for Hulu has commercials. Bad service? Yeah right. I have NEVER had service problems with Hulu ON ANY DEVICE and I have (or have had) them all: iOS, macOS, old gen Apple TV, Android, Linux, Windows, Fire TV, Roku and "smart" Blu-Ray players with proprietary platforms etc. I have experienced far more interruptions/lag/buffering/outright "this is temporarily unavailable please try again later" on Netflix. Hulu's UX/UI is comparable to Netflix and is far better than Amazon Prime. And Hulu is supported by all operating systems and browsers. I get it ... you need to bash Hulu because Apple HOPES to launch a live TV service that will compete with Hulu (and YouTube and Sling and Plex and a bunch of other live TV providers) SOME DAY. Never mind that Apple practically invented the whole industry with iTunes and the first-gen Apple TV box nearly 20 years ago in the first place, sat on this tech for years and did absolutely nothing with it. Even after Netflix and YouTube went big Apple did nothing with expanding iTunes from being a music and video download service whose tech really wasn't much beyond Napster. Well hey, at least there you can say that Apple is a hardware company and not a software and services company, right? Except that it took years after Roku and Chromecast came out for Apple to finally make Apple TV a modern product. And even now it lacks capabilities that the better Roku, Fire TV and even Android TV boxes have. Apple could have dominated this space, which would have driven demand for their hardware through the roof. Don't blame the competition for doing the innovating, risk-taking and infrastructure investment years before Apple decided to get around to it.
    ^^^