Alleged chassis for Apple's 'iPhone 8' revives claims of rear-mounted Touch ID

Posted:
in iPhone
A leaked metal chassis, purportedly for this fall's "iPhone 8," may suggest that Apple is indeed planning to put a Touch ID sensor on the rear of the device -- though the part conflicts with other recent rumors.

The chassis, which appeared in photos on Baidu, includes a conspicuous hole below the Apple logo that's roughly the size of the Touch ID sensor on the iPhone 7. Its placement is consistent with a few past leaks, and also where fingerprint sensors are located on some rival Android devices like the Google Pixel.

As is usual with "iPhone 8" images, the part includes a vertically-aligned rear camera.

Most recent ones, however, include no rear Touch ID sensor. If the sensor isn't embedded in the OLED display, it could be built into the sleep/wake button, or even replaced by 3D facial recognition -- assuming that technology is ready in time.

One possibility is that the chassis is from an abandoned prototype. Multiple reports have claimed production problems with embedding Touch ID into the display, and the company may have produced alternate designs as a fallback.

The "iPhone 8" is expected to feature an edge-to-edge, 5.8-inch OLED screen replacing a physical home button with a virtual one. Aside from 3D facial recognition, it may also include upgrades like wireless charging and a rear-facing laser for augmented reality and fast autofocus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Maybe something to do with wireless charging???
    phone-ui-guyanton zuykov
  • Reply 2 of 26
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    The biggest inconsistency is the metal back, instead of glass, in my opinion. If true, this definitely looks like they're going with plan B for iPhone 8.
    netmage
  • Reply 3 of 26
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    We seen this before, months ago, it's not new.

Almost all the rumors point to a device with a glass back. This is not it!

neo-tech
  • Reply 4 of 26
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    The hyperbolic hilarity continues...
    Avieshek
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Why can't it just be the iPhone 7s? Would be pretty sweet to hear Tim Cook say "One more thing..." to announce the real iPhone "8"
  • Reply 6 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mike1 said:
    No brainer and very inline with how Apple designs thing—deliberately feature or even highlight a functional design element. As if it's there to provoke others into asking: "what's that circle for"? "Oh, that's the new wireless charing thing".

If Apple did put touch ID on the rear I'd conclude they were completely lost design wise culturally. It's literally not possible to me that this will be rear Touch ID. It goes against everything they stand for as a company and anyone suggesting this even may be the case or who make excuses for why Apple would do this (before we know) clearly doesn't understand Apple. Also, what if this design is iPhone 7s? Where the main differentiator between 7s and 8 is OLED, glass rear and full screen display?
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 7 of 26
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    ireland said:
    mike1 said:
    It goes against everything they stand for as a company and anyone suggesting this even may be the case or who make excuses for why Apple would do this (before we know) clearly doesn't understand Apple.
    Um, once Apple did this, I lost faith in their "designers." 

edited July 2017
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Couldn't just be a hole for the rumored IR camera or something else for an AR enhanced iPhone 8?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    smaffei said:
    ireland said:
    mike1 said:
    It goes against everything they stand for as a company and anyone suggesting this even may be the case or who make excuses for why Apple would do this (before we know) clearly doesn't understand Apple.

Nope, this is pure Apple. They didn't want anyone to see a hole in the surface of the mouse, in much the same way that they put all the ports on the back of the iMac so no one would see a hole in the front. 
    edited July 2017 MKMc
  • Reply 10 of 26
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    Again. Neither MacRumors or 9to5Mac appear to be running this story.

Why?
    These images are old, we saw them and discussed them several weeks ago.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 26
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Here is the fundamental issue with the design, it puts the touch ID in middle of where the battery fits, In order for this to work Apple would have to change how the battery fits in the package. Touch ID need a logic board of sorts and that will get in the way of the battery. I do not think Apple would shrink the batter to put this in the middle of the back, this is also why Samsung and others who have done the same put it near the top and not where the batteries will be.

I think we seeing someone who is playing around with a CNC machine and trying to foul everyone.

edited July 2017 welshdog
  • Reply 12 of 26
    smaffei said:
    ireland said:
    mike1 said:

Where would you have put it? Honest question.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    If they do put a fingerprint sensor on the back, why not use the already existing Apple logo cutout? That would be ultra whiz-bang cool
    mr owelshdog
  • Reply 14 of 26
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    If it was up to me I would place Touch ID sensor right inside the Apple logo. 
    mr owelshdog
  • Reply 15 of 26
    MKMcMKMc Posts: 14member
    Rayz2016 said:
    smaffei said:
    ireland said:
    mike1 said:

Nope, this is pure Apple. They didn't want anyone to see a hole in the surface of the mouse, in much the same way that they put all the ports on the back of the iMac so no one would see a hole in the front. 
    There is another even more “Apple” reason they put the charging cable for the Magic Mouse 2 on the underside. Because if the plug was somewhere where you could still use it while charging, it wouldn’t look so magical anymore, it would look like an old fashioned USB mouse. And then there are of course those people who would keep it permanently plugged in because they are obsessed with always having batteries at 100% - therefore rendering the “cordless” nature of the mouse redundant. It was a clever move on the part of Apple.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 16 of 26
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    MKMc said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    smaffei said:
    ireland said:
    mike1 said:

There is another even more “Apple” reason they put the charging cable for the Magic Mouse 2 on the underside. Because if the plug was somewhere where you could still use it while charging, it wouldn’t look so magical anymore, it would look like an old fashioned USB mouse. And then there are of course those people who would keep it permanently plugged in because they are obsessed with always having batteries at 100% - therefore rendering the “cordless” nature of the mouse redundant. It was a clever move on the part of Apple.
    The only people complaining about this were hacks like The Verge who used it for clickbait and people obsessed with having their devices always at 100% charge. To which I say then why not just use a wired mouse?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Why can't it just be the iPhone 7s? Would be pretty sweet to hear Tim Cook say "One more thing..." to announce the real iPhone "8"
    Why would a 7S have the TouchID on the back?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    MKMc said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    smaffei said:
    ireland said:
    mike1 said:

Mmmm.

No, it's definitely a hole-hiding thing.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    One more thing that Cook uses will be for a new category of the product, not the next version of existing one. I don't expect anything surprised coming from Cook. The guy is really reserved, imo.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 20 of 26
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sergioz said:
    If it was up to me I would place Touch ID sensor right inside the Apple logo. 
    I agree. Based on this leaked back, the Touch ID is way out of right position for the index finger on the iPhone Plus. Natural position currently using iPhone 7 Plus is right at or little above the Apple logo. Below Apple logo is a shit location. Try it.
    sergioz