Apple working with Chinese firm on car battery research - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple is secretly working with a Chinese firm on research and development of auto batteries, suggesting it may be interested in more than just software for self-driving cars, according to one report.

The Chinese company -- Contemporary Amperex Technology (CATL) -- has signed a confidentiality agreement, sources told Yicai Global on Thursday. Few other details were available, and CATL has officially refused to comment.

To date Apple has only been testing modified existing vehicles on public roads. The company was at one point rumored to be building a complete electric car, but in the past year "Project Titan" is thought to have switched focus to software.

If the CATL partnership is authentic, Apple may have reached an expected decision on whether or not to move ahead with an internally designed car. The company would need an especially powerful battery to match the 200-mile-plus range on vehicles like Tesla's Model 3.

Indeed the company could end up spending many billions if it wants to enter the market, not the least because it would need to develop still more technologies and contract with outside parts and assembly firms. Tesla has an inherent advantage in the battery arena thanks to the Nevada-based Gigafactory, which may eventually be joined by several other factories worldwide.

Earlier rumors hinted that Apple was targeting a 2021 release date, but it's possible that the changing gears in the project could translate into a delay.
SpamSandwich

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I'm expecting an Apple designed car or SUV based on a Volvo platform  but manufactured by Geely in China.

Im not sure if I am happy that Apple as an electric vehicle manufacturer would give American car manufacturers a kick in the butt for how they have dragged their feet on EVs or angry that Apple will doubtless put American workers out of business.

• Reply 2 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Saw this today 😂 

The Apple Car

techprod1gytoysandmelolliver
  • Reply 3 of 13
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    If someone comes up with a truly huge breakthrough on battery technology -- and I mean something like 10x the current energy density or 10x faster charging -- then they could make trillions of dollars on it. Wait, that won't work because the US patent and trademark office has already given VirnetX or some other troll a patent on all batteries that can store more energy or charge more quickly.
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 4 of 13
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    k2kw said:
    I'm expecting an Apple designed car or SUV based on a Volvo platform  but manufactured by Geely in China.

Im not sure if I am happy that Apple as an electric vehicle manufacturer would give American car manufacturers a kick in the butt for how they have dragged their feet on EVs or angry that Apple will doubtless put American workers out of business.

Are you high, man?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    linkman said:
    If someone comes up with a truly huge breakthrough on battery technology -- and I mean something like 10x the current energy density or 10x faster charging -- then they could make trillions of dollars on it. Wait, that won't work because the US patent and trademark office has already given VirnetX or some other troll a patent on all batteries that can store more energy or charge more quickly.
    I am pretty sure, VirnetX also holds relevant patents on FTL communication and FTL travel, along with teleportation device related patents.

SolilolliverbshankGaby
  • Reply 6 of 13
    zompzomp Posts: 62member
    k2kw said:

Good point. This is exactly what happened in the phone business. Tons of smart phones on the market with 2 hour battery life until iPhone kicked them in the butt and woke the manufacturers up.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I came to the conclusion they were actually getting into the electric vehicle business when it became obvious they would never license their autonomous vehicle control software to other carmakers.
    edited July 2017 lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Until something public comes out about Project Titan, I can't help but think it's an incredible fool's errand.

Don't get me wrong, I want Apple to succeed, but it's hard to see a Gigafactory coming online, producing batteries for cars with hardware/software already capable of driving itself and not wonder, "WTF exactly is Apple doing here?"
  • Reply 9 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Until something public comes out about Project Titan, I can't help but think it's an incredible fool's errand.

Don't get me wrong, I want Apple to succeed, but it's hard to see a Gigafactory coming online, producing batteries for cars with hardware/software already capable of driving itself and not wonder, "WTF exactly is Apple doing here?"
    Are you serious? In China, they could hide their battery development with a close partner company, they've been collecting driving data from Didi Chuxing and they've had hundreds (if not more) engineers working on the design of this alleged vehicle.
    lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 13
    fallenjt said:
    k2kw said:

Are you high, man?
    Not at all.   Remember Geely owns Didi-CHuxing. The car service in China that Apple has a 10% stake in.    It gives them the cover to work to gather and have meetings without raising suspisions  .

• Reply 11 of 13

zomp said:
    k2kw said:

Good point. This is exactly what happened in the phone business. Tons of smart phones on the market with 2 hour battery life until iPhone kicked them in the butt and woke the manufacturers up.
    Didi Chuxing (Chinese Car Driving Service) gives Apple (10% ownership)  the connection and cover when dealing with Geely (majority owner).   Makes it easy to put Apple Self Driving software into Geely cars in China for testing.    Volvo would give Apple dealerships for selling and serving the cars without people noticing that Apple was buying a lot of new property unannounced.   Atleast that's how an Apple car could appear out of no where.  Now I do think that Apple is behind Telsa but I doubt they are behind Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Subaru, Toyota, Kia, etc in developing a self driving electric car with auto pilot software.   First year I would expect 30,000 SUVs at $100,000 or more.   Thats 3B first year, but they could eventually get up to 1 Million cars a year at premium prices and high profit margins due to cheap Chinese labor.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Apple Car

Designed by Pundits.  Delayed in California.

/s
    edited July 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 13 of 13
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    u serious? In China, they could hide their battery development with a close partner company, they've been collecting driving data from Didi Chuxing and they've had hundreds (if not more) engineers working on the design of this alleged vehicle.
    Sure, development = easy to hide ... production, not so much.  Show me a hidden Gigafactory.