LG to be exclusive supplier of L-shaped 'iPhone 9' batteries, report says

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is months away from announcing an expected "iPhone 8" device, but rumors are already swirling about its successor, with one report claiming LG is to be the sole provider of batteries for the device.

Citing an unnamed source, Korea Economic Daily on Thursday reported that Apple has selected LG Chem as an exclusive supplier for batteries bound for a next-generation iPhone due for release in 2018.

LG has supposedly invested "hundreds of billions" of won in dedicated battery manufacturing facilities and will be ready to begin full-scale production early next year, the source said. The person added that the South Korean company will supply all batteries for "iPhone 9," expected to debut in the second half of 2018.

According to the report, Apple's next-next-generation iPhone will adopt a battery module that is "bent" or extended to one side at its bottom to form an "L" shape. Since its release, iPhone has relied on standard rectangular "jelly roll" lithium-ion batteries.

Rumors of L-shaped iPhone batteries first cropped up in April when KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted Apple to employ the novel two-cell design in the upcoming "iPhone 8." The optimized shape not only maximizes internal space afforded by developments in component miniaturization and integration, but also boosts charging speeds.

Whether or not Apple will deploy the advanced battery technology in "iPhone 8" remains unknown.

Apple is widely expected to unveil its next-generation iPhone this fall alongside iterative improvements to iPhone 7 series handsets. The "iPhone 8" is rumored to incorporate exotic tech like a full-face OLED screen, front-facing 3D-sensing camera, wireless charging and embedded Touch ID sensors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I think Apple should release the iPhone 7s, 8, and 9, all in September of this year. Why is Apple holding back? Is it to give us a drip-drip-drip of rumors for the next 2 years?  ;)
    lolliverwatto_cobraAvieshekmattinozcalicornchip
  • Reply 2 of 11
    lmasanti said:
    According with the past naming of iPhones, we should have… - 2017 > 7s - 2018 > 8 - 2019 > 8s - 2020 > 9 Of course, Apple can leave its previous naming convention, like it did with OS X from cats to California's places, and call… - 2017 > 8 - 2018 > 9 …but its seems strange for me. This does not negate the possibility of a ‘Ten Anniversary’ iPhone Pro!
    I'd prefer the macbook naming convension, just have "iPhone" and "iPhone Plus" then "iPhone Mini" or something for the 4"er. Keep it the same each year as the numbers will get silly the higher they get imho.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    AvieshekAvieshek Posts: 100member
    adm1 said:
    lmasanti said:
    According with the past naming of iPhones, we should have… - 2017 > 7s - 2018 > 8 - 2019 > 8s - 2020 > 9 Of course, Apple can leave its previous naming convention, like it did with OS X from cats to California's places, and call… - 2017 > 8 - 2018 > 9 …but its seems strange for me. This does not negate the possibility of a ‘Ten Anniversary’ iPhone Pro!
    I'd prefer the macbook naming convension, just have "iPhone" and "iPhone Plus" then "iPhone Mini" or something for the 4"er. Keep it the same each year as the numbers will get silly the higher they get imho.
    I think, it would be rather cool: iPhone 69
    edited July 2017 mike1anton zuykov
  • Reply 4 of 11
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    adm1 said:
    lmasanti said:
    I thought iPhone 6 would be named just "iPhone". I felt like 6 was already silly. 
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    This is why you can bet that Apple had locked in the final design of this year's phones a while ago. They're not still debating features and implementation.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    adm1 said:
    lmasanti said:
    The difference is that Intel based products have pretty well stagnated with only marginal, incremental improvements year on year.  It is, and has been, a mature, commodity type market.

The ARM based market continues to explode each year with meaningful innovation that changes people's lives and the way they do things....
    ... While an iPhone or iPad may look the same on the outside, the insides have radical improvements. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    You call yourself journalists but you lack foresight. Do you really think next Fall Apple will skip the nomenclature iPhone 8s? Maybe you do. You'd be deluded, but I guess you have already established that by calling the 10th anniversary iPhone "iPhone 8," which is almost certainly not going to be its name. Get your worldview together AppleInsider. Your beliefs are as wonky as flat-earthers. Next Fall we'll get the iPhone 8 not 9, lol. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Really? iPhone 9 rumors? Before there's even an iPhone 8?

[rolls eyes]
  • Reply 9 of 11
    So it's essentially 2 batteries.  Shrugs.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Obviously, as components get smaller and smaller and use less and less juice batteries will start taking up more and more space in devices.