Samsung expected to announce Galaxy Note 8 on Aug. 23

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2017
Samsung on Thursday sent out invitations to a media event set to take place on Aug. 23, where the company is expected to unveil its anticipated Galaxy Note 8 phablet.

The upcoming "Unpacked" event falls in line with Samsung's normal Note release schedule. Last year, for example, the ill-fated Galaxy Note 7 debuted on Aug. 2.

As seen in a screenshot of the invitation, included above, the South Korean firm is teasing what appears to be a phablet device with stylus capabilities, strongly suggesting August's Unpacked will feature a next-generation Note product.

Current rumors compiled by BGR suggest the Note 8 will boast a 6.3-inch Super AMOLED screen, an enhanced S Pen stylus, dual 12-megapixel rear cameras and a 3,300 mAh battery. Depending on sales market, the large device will be powered by either a Exynos 8895 or Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 chipset with 6GB of RAM.

The handset's design is expected to mimic the existing Galaxy S8, with thin bezels, rounded corners and curved edges.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 render. | Source: BGR

Samsung is looking to make up for last year's Galaxy Note 7 fiasco. Shortly after the phablet launched, reports of explosions and fires surfaced in the company's domestic market. Similar incidents were subsequently reported in other international launch countries including the U.S.

Less than a month after the Note 7 was released, Samsung halted shipments and issued a voluntary recall of some 2.5 million devices.

The company attempted to solve the problem, but replacement units suffered the same fate as original hardware, suggesting the issue was inherent to the Note 7's design. Samsung ultimately stopped all sales and replacements on Oct. 10 before announcing a permanent product discontinuation a day later.

An investigation narrowed the issue down to a design flaw in the upper right corner of the device battery, which caused a short circuit in the "jelly roll" lithium-ion pack. Subsequent units faced a separate battery manufacturing issue that also led to short circuiting.

Samsung has since instituted a new testing protocol and dedicated lab to avoid identical problems in future devices. Still, the Note 7 kerfuffle torched Samsung earnings in the third quarter of 2016, with the company's mobile unit posting a 96 percent year-over-year decline.

As usual, Samsung is timing its Unpacked event to beat Apple's expected iPhone debut in September. This year, the Cupertino tech giant is widely expected to field three new handsets -- an updated "iPhone 7s" series and a standalone "iPhone 8" or "iPhone Pro." The latter version is rumored to be a flagship device with exotic technologies like a full-face OLED screen, front-facing (and potentially rear-facing) 3D-sensing cameras, embedded Touch ID or facial recognition, wireless charging and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    It's still Samsung. Gorgeous hardware and display will be ruined with terrible software and a laggy user experience that requires phone reboots throughout the day.
    watto_cobramacseekerlamboaudi4radarthekatAvieshek
  • Reply 2 of 16
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Not if that render is anything to go by. Looks cheap and uninspired. Backwards step in terms of design. 

watto_cobraAvieshekMuntzMuntzjbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 16
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    It's still Samsung. Gorgeous hardware and display will be ruined with terrible software and a laggy user experience that requires phone reboots throughout the day.

Gorgeous display i will agree. But gorgeous hardware? 
    watto_cobraMuntzjbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Android is the worst piece of junkware since Windows Vista.
    MuntzBluntwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 16

Which Android are you talking about?

a) Stock Android in Nexus/Pixel phones

b) Near stock Android in Moto/Sony/HTC phones

c) Grace UX Android in Samsung phones

d) MIUI in Xiaomi phones

e) EMUI in Huawei phones

f) Various other Android versions in LG, Asus, Lenovo, Oppo, Vivo, TCL, Meizu and other phones

I know for a fact a) and b) are GOOD, definitely not junkware. c) is mostly accepted as functionally very good BUT criticized for having performance issues over a period of time. I don't have much knowledge about other Androids, to be able to comment on them. But the question to you is - Which Android are you talking about? Is it based on any personal experience? If yes, which one?

edited July 2017 singularity
  • Reply 6 of 16
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    One year later people will have totally forgotten about the flaming fiasco of the Note 7 and buy the 8 by the millions. Some say Apple has some devoted followers, but this...
    watto_cobraStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 7 of 16
    MuntzMuntz Posts: 26member

d) MIUI in Xiaomi phones

e) EMUI in Huawei phones

f) Various other Android versions in LG, Asus, Lenovo, Oppo, Vivo, TCL, Meizu and other phones

I know for a fact a) and b) are GOOD, definitely not junkware. c) is mostly accepted as functionally very good BUT criticized for having performance issues over a period of time. I don't have much knowledge about other Androids, to be able to comment on them. But the question to you is - Which Android are you talking about? Is it based on any personal experience? If yes, which one?

Is this a marketing survey post? It sure reads like one.
    Bluntwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Muntz said:

d) MIUI in Xiaomi phones

e) EMUI in Huawei phones

Is this a marketing survey post? It sure reads like one.

LOL. It definitely is NOT. Do you think I am working in a marketing company? No. I was just stating the facts as far as I know when someone was making a very generic comment "Android is junkware", without really knowing the facts.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    You mean "which true Scotsman is terrible?"  ;)
    If fragmentation is how you get out of calling Android not-junk, you might as well embrace it, warts and all. All I know is that this hydra is conveniently labeled "Android" when Google and tech industry pontificators need a market share statistic to swat Apple with. Don't break it up now.
    edited July 2017 netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    linkman said:
    One year later people will have totally forgotten about the flaming fiasco of the Note 7 and buy the 8 by the millions. Some say Apple has some devoted followers, but this...

Nobody is going for forget about Note 7 fires for a long long time. But would that cause drop in sales for Samsung permanently? No. Why? Because it was ONLY ONE among the 1000+ smartphones Samsung has released in the last 10 years AND Note series is a niche in Samsung's lineup to begin with. People in the real world know exactly all these facts, which people in this forum are probably NOT aware of!!! Why is it surprising that people are forgiving a company for a one-off issue? If it had happened to Samsung S series phone, Samsung would have been history, like Nokia.

• Reply 11 of 16
    You mean "which true Scotsman is terrible?"  ;)
    If fragmentation is how you get out of calling Android not-junk, you might as well embrace it, warts and all. All I know is that this hydra is conveniently labeled "Android" when Google and tech industry pontificators need a market share statistic to swat Apple with. Don't break it up now.

I understand you don't like the facts, but that is what it is!!!! There are good Android versions, there are average ones, there are bad ones, much like various windows versions (XP, 7 being good ones, Vista/8 among the bad ones). You cannot call all of them together as "junk".

This is even true for iOS versions. iOS 8 was the most terrible version (random restarts, freezing etc) that I have ever worked with on my iPad Air. It was near perfect with iOS 7. I have not experienced any issues with iOS 9 either on the same iPad Air, except that it is a bit slow slightly which is expected anyways. Can I/anyone say iOS is bad? No, because it has a great track record with so many versions. Can I say iOS 8 was terrible? Yes, of course.

• Reply 12 of 16
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member

d) MIUI in Xiaomi phones

e) EMUI in Huawei phones

g) All of the above
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    SamsungInsider...
    jbdragon
  • Reply 14 of 16

d) MIUI in Xiaomi phones

e) EMUI in Huawei phones

I keep a Nexus 6P around to keep current with Android and agree it runs quite well. The app quality is still sub-par to iOS in many instances but stock Android is clean and fairly robust. 
  • Reply 15 of 16

d) MIUI in Xiaomi phones

e) EMUI in Huawei phones

I keep a Nexus 6P around to keep current with Android and agree it runs quite well. The app quality is still sub-par to iOS in many instances but stock Android is clean and fairly robust. 
    At last, some sane voice based on real life experience!!! I agree with your other point about app quality - because iOS is where the real money is, so it is an advantage Apple will continue to have for many more years to come.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Boom!