Apple could provide Series 1 Apple Watch as replacement for original models requiring repa...

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Owners of the first-generation Apple Watch could find they will be offered a newer model as a replacement if they take their timepiece in for repairs, with Apple said to have advised its retail stores and Authorized Service Providers that they can use Series 1 Apple Watch parts with the original model.

The directive from Apple to staff states the replacements are limited to aluminum versions of the original Apple Watch in all available colors, which can be changed for aluminum versions of the Series 1 Apple Watch, reports MacRumors. The announcement also mentions that it is available "in some countries," though does not state which markets this applies to.

"In some countries, Apple Watch Aluminum (1st generation) parts (in all colors) may be substituted with Apple Watch Aluminum (Series 1) parts," declares the announcement. "The parts substitution should now be working properly in MobileGenius and Repair Central."

Though the directive mentions parts, the report suggests that the entire original Apple Watch could be replaced by the Series 1 counterpart, though it is likely to largely depend on the nature of the needed repairs. The original and Series 1 Apple Watch lines have very similar components used in their construction, with the only major difference between the two being a change in processor.

A source inside Apple corporate not authorized to speak on behalf of the company told AppleInsider that people with non-functional original Apple Watches shouldn't expect a swap for a series one watch. Instead, that determination is made on a case-by-case basis dependent on available part supply, and what's on hand for service swap stock.

The original Apple Watch is no longer covered under Apple's one-year warranty. If the user paid for AppleCare, the Apple Watch will still be eligible for servicing of manufacturing issues for two years from the purchase date.

Earlier this month, Apple extended the free repair period for the first-generation Apple Watch to three years, for instances where the back cover separates from the rest of the device. A known issue since 2015 and often separating when the Watch is taken off the magnetic charger, it is thought that the problem is due to insufficient adhesives used at the time of manufacturing, though the root cause remains unknown.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    That makes sense because of the limited repairability of the Apple Watch,  
    When the haptic engine failed in mine the tech at the Apple Store verified it and then immediately sent it out to a service center because the store didn't even have the ability to diagnose the cause of the problem because they didn't have the equipment necessary to access the diagnostic port.   But even then the service center mailed back a refurbished replacement.  

As Apple products become increasingly smaller and more integrated, they will become less repairable -- which means more replacements and fewer actual repairs -- which in turn puts increased strain on the supply chain of older products.

That is:   It's probably cheaper for Apple to replace with a newer model than keep an older one in stock or maintain production facilities for older models.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    Something similar happened with my first generation iPod Nano.

Apple originally advised that it was going to put the model back into production to manage a known potential defect with the battery. In the end I was offered a 6th generation model.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    sog35 said:
    I can confirm.

Last month my Series 0 watch screen popped out.

They gave me a refurbished Series 1 Watch after 5 days trying to repair it.

Side note: I didn't realize how vital my Apple Watch was until I had to live without for 5 days waiting for my Series 0 to get repaired.
    My screen also popped out without intense exercises but walking. Damn AW series 0 sucked ball. Probably used Chinese glue. It's just passed 12 month warranty and I refuse to bring it in for repair but using a full protective case to hold down the damn screen.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 4 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This opening paragraph is very confusing.

"Owners of the first-generation Apple Watch could find they will be offered a newer model as a replacement if they take their timepiece in for repairs, with Apple said to have advised its retail stores and Authorized Service Providers that they can use Series 1 Apple Watch parts with the original model."

My question:  Isn't the original Apple Watch now known as the Series 1?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    The article isn't confusing, Apple's Marketing people are idiots.  The Apple Watch breaks down as follows:

The Original Apple Watch (first generation) has no name except "Apple Watch".
    The second-generation Apple Watch is the "Series 1".
    The third-generation Apple Watch (the waterproof one) is the "Series 2" even though it came out at the same time as the Series 1.

So, what is happing is that the first-generation Apple Watch is being replaced or repaired in some cases using second-generation Apple Watch parts and refurb units.
    edited July 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The article isn't confusing, Apple's Marketing people are idiots.  The Apple Watch breaks down as follows:

The Original Apple Watch (first generation) has no name except "Apple Watch".
    The second-generation Apple Watch is the "Series 1".
    The third-generation Apple Watch (the waterproof one) is the "Series 2" even though it came out at the same time as the Series 1.

So, what is happing is that the first-generation Apple Watch is being replaced or repaired in some cases using second-generation Apple Watch parts and refurb units.
    Ah, I see. Yes, Apple's product naming and the division in their product lines generally had much better clarity when Jobs was there. Having a founder who treated all of the company products like his own children meant he paid very close attention to all of them.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 7 of 12
    This opening paragraph is very confusing.

"Owners of the first-generation Apple Watch could find they will be offered a newer model as a replacement if they take their timepiece in for repairs, with Apple said to have advised its retail stores and Authorized Service Providers that they can use Series 1 Apple Watch parts with the original model."

No.   The series 1 was released last fall along with the series 2.   They both replaced the original Apple Watch which had been released about 18 months earlier.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:
    sog35 said:
    I can confirm.

Side note: I didn't realize how vital my Apple Watch was until I had to live without for 5 days waiting for my Series 0 to get repaired.
    My screen also popped out without intense exercises but walking. Damn AW series 0 sucked ball. Probably used Chinese glue. It's just passed 12 month warranty and I refuse to bring it in for repair but using a full protective case to hold down the damn screen.
    The warranty for popped out screens is 3 years. 

Go get it fixed.

This is NOT true--Apple isn't universally fixing screens that have popped out under warranty.  This happened to mine, I took it to the Apple Store in downtown Portland, OR, and they persisted in insisting I have to pay $199 for a replacement.  Total joke--my watch was barely used and the screen popped out from sitting in the sun for an hour.  The store manager I spoke with preferred to argue with me about the weather in Portland and how it couldn't have been hot enough for this to happen rather than fix my problem.  Given that the Target store up the street was selling the Series 1 watch for $225 (which includes a new band and 1 yr. warranty, vs. no band and 90 day warranty for repaired model), I pointed out I would have to be stupid to pay the $199.  HORRIBLE handling of this situation for an early adopter of a product that clearly has known issues.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 12
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    When the underside of my original Apple watch fell out, I got a brand new (not refurbished) version on the spot.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    spaceage said:
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:
    sog35 said:
    I can confirm.

The warranty for popped out screens is 3 years. 

Go get it fixed.

This is NOT true--Apple isn't universally fixing screens that have popped out under warranty.  This happened to mine, I took it to the Apple Store in downtown Portland, OR, and they persisted in insisting I have to pay $199 for a replacement.  Total joke--my watch was barely used and the screen popped out from sitting in the sun for an hour.  The store manager I spoke with preferred to argue with me about the weather in Portland and how it couldn't have been hot enough for this to happen rather than fix my problem.  Given that the Target store up the street was selling the Series 1 watch for $225 (which includes a new band and 1 yr. warranty, vs. no band and 90 day warranty for repaired model), I pointed out I would have to be stupid to pay the $199.  HORRIBLE handling of this situation for an early adopter of a product that clearly has known issues.
    While I sympathize with your story and agree with your conclusion, it is also the reason why I like to take out AppleCare on all my Apple products.   It's not an ironclad guarantee that you can't have a bad experience, but it definitely reduces the odds of that happening...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I can confirm this, I called in my AppleCare plan before it ran out this November because of a scratch in the crystal. For $70 deductible I got upgraded from a 1st gen to a Seres 1, sweet! In 25 years, I've never had a problem with Apple Support. Incidentally, I did this through the Apple Support app, which is how I found out I had a Series 1 replacement, since all your registered devices are listed there. It was explained to me on the phone that they have no more 1st gen watches left for replacement.