An AppleInsider history lesson.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    How could I forget Workerbee....I arrived here right as the first Kormac debates were happening, I remember there was a huge thread where many people refuted his ideas, and many bought in.

I've been here since 1999, but I was never a very active poster, and I used a different name back then.
  • Reply 22 of 113
    Registered early 1999. I think it was January. Had zillion posts before the Great Blackout. Was in the top five or ten. because of the very relaxed job I had back then ($20/h customer service job with the largest mobile phone service provider) Took 25-30 calls a day so had a lot of time on my hand.

Remember the WorkerBee thing clearly. Refuted it as the usual attention seeking animals that hang around FH. So I was wrong only one out of at least 50 times. It was not until he posted the picture of the Cube I thought "Hmm this could be something".
  • Reply 23 of 113
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I think I stumbled upon that article about 6 months ago and that's how I found out about AI!
  • Reply 24 of 113
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    gEEk?!
  • Reply 25 of 113
    Wow :eek: Missed that one.

Trying to get in here undercover
  • Reply 26 of 113
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    I was here when the likes of barrysharpe et al were regulars. However, I have changed my screen-name since then. I guess it must have been 1999 when i first registered.

Wow, nostalgia

low-fi
  • Reply 27 of 113
    I remember her, I was under the name of SchillerFat at the time.
  • Reply 28 of 113
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    gEEk!

I was (drum roll) Amorph. I can't remember when I registered. How sad is that? I've been following AI since it was Reality, though.
  • Reply 29 of 113
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    was applenut, am applenut, will be applenut.

registered nov 99 after being a looker for a while. i think i first came because i was looking to buy a G4 when they were released and started to read rumors to see when they would be.

used to have the most posts.... but then EmAn came along and blew me away in a week with his one liners

Probably best moment for me was Mercury Rising )

although it was also the most dissapointing
  • Reply 30 of 113
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>was applenut, am applenut, will be applenut.

registered nov 99 after being a looker for a while. i think i first came because i was looking to buy a G4 when they were released and started to read rumors to see when they would be.

used to have the most posts.... but then EmAn came along and blew me away in a week with his one liners

although it was also the most dissapointing</strong><hr></blockquote>

hey hey it was "Mercury Rising ("
  • Reply 31 of 113
    Yeah, I called BS on that whole crazy "cube" idea....I mean, Apple had to know that nobody would want such a weird niche product.

So I was wrong.

But I was right too....

I remember a lot of the old screen names, and when the Great Blackout occurred I was JONESing for the AI messageboards. I think I stumbled across a broadcast from one of the old members over at MacNN who told all the AI regulars to show up over at the Bad Flamingo board.

In the space of a month we had a lot of "reunions". It was a very nice bolt hole during the dark days. I almost decided to stay there until I saw that everybody zoomed right back over here again.

I was disappointed to see that my screen name had been lost in the shuffle...having to start back with ZERO posts and Junior Member status sucked.

During that time we heard a lot of scoop and poop about what was happening with AI. We heard a lot about someone by the name of "Monish" who was supposedly letting AI die a lingering death because of a crappy server.

Never found out exactly what happened THERE.
  • Reply 32 of 113
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Yeah, I went to Bad Flamingo. I remember than the minute AI went back online, BF was deserted. I'm pretty sure the last post ever there was "AI is back up!".

Barto
  • Reply 33 of 113
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>Yeah, I went to Bad Flamingo. I remember than the minute AI went back online, BF was deserted. I'm pretty sure the last post ever there was "AI is back up!".

Barto</strong><hr></blockquote>

scary place... I was a moderator
  • Reply 34 of 113
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I'm just checking in. I've been here since Spring '99.

I remember when this grey look was new.
  • Reply 35 of 113
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

although it was also the most dissapointing</strong><hr></blockquote>

AFAIR you got yer ass kicked royally in that thread But thats okay. You were still old Applenut back then.

***Duck***
  • Reply 36 of 113
    [quote]Originally posted by drewprops:

<strong>Yeah, I called BS on that whole crazy "cube" idea....I mean, Apple had to know that nobody would want such a weird niche product.

So I was wrong.

But I was right too....

I remember a lot of the old screen names, and when the Great Blackout occurred I was JONESing for the AI messageboards. I think I stumbled across a broadcast from one of the old members over at MacNN who told all the AI regulars to show up over at the Bad Flamingo board.

In the space of a month we had a lot of "reunions". It was a very nice bolt hole during the dark days. I almost decided to stay there until I saw that everybody zoomed right back over here again.

I was disappointed to see that my screen name had been lost in the shuffle...having to start back with ZERO posts and Junior Member status sucked.

During that time we heard a lot of scoop and poop about what was happening with AI. We heard a lot about someone by the name of "Monish" who was supposedly letting AI die a lingering death because of a crappy server.

Never found out exactly what happened THERE.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes speaking about Cube. The rumours said that AI was hosted on a Cube and everything was lost when it disappeared.

Anyone can confirm that now?
  • Reply 37 of 113
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>gEEk?!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, in the flesh! After the Great Blackout, I was kinda out of the loop, being extremely busy at work on a new gigabit ethernet board.

My earliest memory of AI is of late 1999 when I posted a question of what the deal was with watermelons and cats. Amalgam of the responses: "if you don't know, you don't deserve to know!"
  • Reply 38 of 113
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    We're not going to bring up Mercury Rising ( again, are we?
  • Reply 39 of 113
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    [quote]Originally posted by serrano:

<strong>What happened to worker bee?</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-271221.html"; target="_blank">See here</a>
  • Reply 40 of 113
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I came around sometime in early 2000 when AI was still black and purple. I remember I spent WAY too much time during my summer internship on the computer drooling about getting a Pismo (which I now/still have) and hanging out here.

I don't remember that article, though. I DO remember all the Cube talk, and how I thought that Apple would NEVER release it, even after AI posted pics of it the night before.