Apple manufacturer Quanta seen riding high on 'Apple Watch Series 3' coming this fall

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Regular Apple supplier Quanta Computer is likely to enjoy strong revenues in the second half of 2017, in part because of the third-generation Apple Watch, reports reaffirmed on Tuesday.

Compal Electronics has joined the Watch supply chain but will probably handle older-generation models still on sale, said the Chinese-language Economic Daily News, cited by DigiTimes. The company's involvement was rumored as far back as April, and at the time said to involve taking over some Series 2 production.

It's unknown if Apple will continue to sell the Series 1 in a post-"Series 3" environment. The 1 is essentially a first-generation Watch with a faster processor, lacking upgrades like waterproofing or GPS.

Since 2015, flagship Watch production has been handled entirely by Quanta, making it natural for that relationship to continue.

Rumors about the "Series 3" remain relatively few and far between. One of the most common is that that device could get LTE, allowing it to operate independently of an iPhone -- at least, to a greater degree than the Series 2.

It may also get built-in sleep tracking, like many other wearables, and possibly even a non-invasive glucose monitor. Apple CEO Tim Cook has been spotted wearing a special Watch accessory, which might also support rumors that Apple is working on "smart" bands that will expand features without requiring a new Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    A third gen watch won't happen until next year.
    albegarclollivercornchip
  • Reply 2 of 26
    The lack of any substantial leaks from the supply chain support this statement. But, that doesn't make any sense to me. The Series 2 was a minor update that added waterproofing, basically targeting a specific segment of users that needed full waterproofing before they could jump in.

There has yet to be a compelling Apple Watch upgrade for Series 0 owners. Seems insane to not come out with a model with a faster chip, better battery life, improved taptic engine. It is an iPhone accessory. Why not have a new Apple Watch to purchase alongside new iPhones? Why not have a new Apple Watch which makes for a good holiday gift?

If no Series 3 this year, vast missed opportunity. I don't think Apple would do that.

schlackdoozydozenstevenozcornchip
  • Reply 3 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I was planning on updating my Series 0 to Series 3 this year, but if there's no new option I may just stick with my current model for another year. It's still running great with the battery lasting close to 2 days, watchOS 4 betas work great on it, and it's still the first thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I take off at night.
    edited July 2017 schlackMetriacanthosaurusdoozydozenwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 4 of 26
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    I wonder what the upgrade cycle will be on these watches. I have a Series 0 which I bought 2 yrs ago. I have zero interest in upgrading it at the moment. What might change my mind? Health sensors (glucose, blood pressure, tension/stress tracking) are about the only thing I think would make me jump. Battery life is more than adequate. I don't see a compelling use case for LTE.
    doozydozenalbegarccornchip
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    I'm hoping the next version will be thinner
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 26
    schlack said:
    I don't see a compelling use case for LTE.
    I don't either. Because there is no compelling case. It is an iPhone accessory, and it should remain that way. It is a better product because of it.

I do think that the S1 chip in Series 0 is starting to show its age in a big way, and the Force Touch/Taptic engine has either gotten worse with time, or just feels like it has because the iPhone and MacBook trackpads are so dramatically better.
    doozydozenalbegarcStrangeDayswatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 7 of 26
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    I don't really want anything different - very pleased with my Series 0.  I don't need sleep monitoring, at least not using a sensor that would require me to wear the watch in my sleep.  I've been using my phone for sleep monitoring and consider that more than adequate.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    williamh said:
    I don't really want anything different - very pleased with my Series 0.  I don't need sleep monitoring, at least not using a sensor that would require me to wear the watch in my sleep.  I've been using my phone for sleep monitoring and consider that more than adequate.
    Sleep monitoring is such a joke. What are you going to do? Sleep different? A friend of mine said he was thinking about getting a second Apple Watch to wear to bed for sleep tracking...I said...Why? What are you going to get out of that? 

Want a restful sleep? Take off the damn watch and leave technology alone for 8 hours.
    larryalollivercornchip
  • Reply 8 of 26
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    schlack said:
    If there was I imagine, just like Apple's other mobile products that feature LTE, there will be 2 connectivity tiers for customers to choose from—WIFI, and LTE.
    For example:
    Series 3, Sport, 38mm, WIFI $369
    Series 3, Sport, 38mm, LTE $399

Personally, just like my iPad, I don't need a LTE model when I can piggyback my iPhone for free, so I definitely don't want to pay for the extra unused hardware. Here's hoping customers can save coin and purchase a Series 3 without LTE. 
    albegarccornchip
  • Reply 10 of 26
    williamh said:
    There are plenty of things I want, but the Series 0 has been so great in HW and the watchOS updates—now on version 4—have made the usability so much better that I haven't felt a strong need to update. While not marketed as water resistance for swimming I have worn it for swimming without issue or concern as swimming laps keeps me near the surface. I am, however, without the swimming options in the Exercise app. That, plus, sleeping would be nice options to have.

williamh said:
    Sleep monitoring is such a joke. What are you going to do? Sleep different? A friend of mine said he was thinking about getting a second Apple Watch to wear to bed for sleep tracking...I said...Why? What are you going to get out of that?
    You're fucking nuts if you think that quality sleep is a joke. At a minimum, sleep monitoring is about recording how you sleep so you can look for patterns. Since I take my Watch off at night I don't really know how much I sleep, how quickly I fall asleep, when my mind cycles through stages of sleep, or any other potential issues, like sleep apnea.

First we need monitoring, and then we can work on finding solutions to problems, like being able to monitor sleep will be able to lead to better sleep, smart alarms that will wake you up an ideal time, warm your bed or room at a given time based on when your core body temp drops, etc. 

Want a restful sleep? Take off the damn watch and leave technology alone for 8 hours.
    You're honestly saying that if you don't wear a watch to bed you'll have restful sleep? That's it?! That's your entire "professional" opinion as to why sleep affects people in different ways—everyone who can't sleep well is wearing a watch to bed? Really?!
    edited July 2017 albegarcStrangeDaysdoozydozenwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 11 of 26
    albegarcalbegarc Posts: 50member
    schlack said:
    I don't either. Because there is no compelling case. It is an iPhone accessory, and it should remain that way. It is a better product because of it.

I do think that the S1 chip in Series 0 is starting to show its age in a big way, and the Force Touch/Taptic engine has either gotten worse with time, or just feels like it has because the iPhone and MacBook trackpads are so dramatically better.
    I agree, I think that my original AW its begining to feel to slow and also the battery life is very poor, I use it to track sleep with sleep ++ for workouts and I have to charge it 3 times a day.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Soli said:
    williamh said:
    There are plenty of things I want, but the Series 0 has been so great in HW and the watchOS updates—now on version 4—have made the usability so much better that I haven't felt a strong need to update. While not marketed as water resistance for swimming I have worn it for swimming without issue or concern as swimming laps keeps me near the surface. I am, however, without the swimming options in the Exercise app. That, plus, sleeping would be nice options to have.

williamh said:
    You're fucking nuts if you don't think that quality sleep is a joke. At a minimum, sleep monitoring is about recording how you sleep so you can look for patterns. Since I take my Watch off at night I don't really know how much I sleep, how quickly I fall asleep, when my mind cycles through stages of sleep, or any other potential issues, like sleep apnea.

First we need monitoring, and then we can work on finding solutions to problems, like being able to monitor sleep will be able to lead to better sleep, smart alarms that will wake you up an ideal time, warm your bed or room at a given time based on when your core body temp drops, etc. 

You're honestly saying that if you don't wear a watch to bed you'll have restful sleep? That's it?! That's your entire "professional" opinion as to why sleep affects people in different ways—everyone who can't sleep well is wearing a watch to bed? Really?!
    You might want to edit - you said you'd have to be nuts not to think sleep monitoring is a joke. Aside from that, it is a joke. I've had Fitbits and Garmins "monitoring" my sleep, and there was absolutely no useful information to glean from the results.  It's a gimmick based on guesswork. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 13 of 26
    larrya said:
    Soli said:
    williamh said:

williamh said:
    You're fucking nuts if you don't think that quality sleep is a joke. At a minimum, sleep monitoring is about recording how you sleep so you can look for patterns. Since I take my Watch off at night I don't really know how much I sleep, how quickly I fall asleep, when my mind cycles through stages of sleep, or any other potential issues, like sleep apnea.

You might want to edit - you said you'd have to be nuts not to think sleep monitoring is a joke. Aside from that, it is a joke. I've had Fitbits and Garmins "monitoring" my sleep, and there was absolutely no useful information to glean from the results.  It's a gimmick based on guesswork. 
    So all the medical research into sleep, medical devices used to help people sleep, etc. are all just gimmicks and jokes? You know it consumes about 1/4 to 1/3 or our lives, right? Sleep is fucking important, regardless of your "guesswork" that it's not.
    edited July 2017 albegarcStrangeDaysdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Haven't been out an Apple Watch yet and have no plans to. Ever.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    williamh said:

Besides monitoring, the Watch could vibrate when it hears snoring. It might not directly benefit the wearer but it would benefit any partner also in bed if the Watch could slightly wake or re-adjust the snorer every time they snore. Right now my wife wakes up from my snoring, pushes me and I stop snoring all without really waking up. The Watch could automate things like this.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 26
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Scot1 said:
    I'm hoping the next version will be thinner
    As long as our investment in watch bands is not compromised then thinner is better.
    albegarcdoozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    williamh said:

most americans get lousy sleep. you cant improve a thing if you cant measure a thing. and yes, there actually are ways you can improve the quality of your sleep. your bed, the lighting, the temperature, the sounds, when you eat and drink, what you drink, the amount of time youre actually sleeping, etc.. it would be useful to perform tracking to quantify where you are now and periodically after making adjustments to your habits.

let me guess tho, when you go to the gym you dont track anything just fart around for an hour, amirite? without proper tracking and subsequent plans of actions, you wont improve just about anywhere in life.
    edited July 2017 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    schlack said:
    I wonder what the upgrade cycle will be on these watches. I have a Series 0 which I bought 2 yrs ago. I have zero interest in upgrading it at the moment. What might change my mind? Health sensors (glucose, blood pressure, tension/stress tracking) are about the only thing I think would make me jump. Battery life is more than adequate. I don't see a compelling use case for LTE.
    Schlock:

I would disagree with you about having cellular connectivity as an option. I have a child, who loves for me to play at the park with him when we go. It is extremely difficult to play with him and have an iPhone in my pockets. So, I typically leave it in the car rather than receiving phone calls for emergencies if they are. I don't like doing that, but my wife knows not to call me first if something happens. I also love to run. It would be very helpful and convenient if I could leave my phone at home, listen to my music from my watch, and still receive phone calls if I need to or make a phone call. I also sometimes walk to the grocery store, as it is not very far from me. Again, I would love to walk there without my phone, but can't. Their are far more other reason that I will not go into for why having the option to have cellular connectivity is good for some. Speaking of some, I will take from a fellow Apple Watch enthusiast, who was quoted as saying that "
    One thing that stands out to him as he reads from many of us that are regulars on various tech blogs seem to forget that we are so very far from the regular customer and who the meat and potatoes for Apple and other tech companies are." He goes on that state that "The average customer wants and will buy a lot of what many of us are saying doesn't really interest you. Cellular capabilities in an Apple Watch is a prime example. I get it that some of you don't see the need and wouldn't pay extra for this. What several of you don't get is the vast majority of their target market will die for this kind a capability and will pay for it in a heartbeat regardless of how much use they can or will make of it." The key word being SOME. I know that not everyone would like to be untethered from their devices and that's understandable. However, to have that option would be a great one. I also think that paying another $5 a month (Verizon current cost) is not that much considering the convenience you are receiving in return and peace of mind that you get if you do ever forget your phone, you can still receive and make phone calls and/or send a text if you need to.
    doozydozenalbegarc
  • Reply 19 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The lack of any substantial leaks from the supply chain support this statement. But, that doesn't make any sense to me. The Series 2 was a minor update that added waterproofing, basically targeting a specific segment of users that needed full waterproofing before they could jump in.

There has yet to be a compelling Apple Watch upgrade for Series 0 owners. Seems insane to not come out with a model with a faster chip, better battery life, improved taptic engine. It is an iPhone accessory. Why not have a new Apple Watch to purchase alongside new iPhones? Why not have a new Apple Watch which makes for a good holiday gift?

If no Series 3 this year, vast missed opportunity. I don't think Apple would do that.

I can't see them shifting the attention away from the iPhone. They'll want to give it a wide berth and commit all of their advertising dollars to cutting through the noise.
    doozydozenalbegarc
  • Reply 20 of 26
    How is a watch going to tell if you're sleeping? Improving your sleep would certainly be worthwhile if they could find a way to do that. But simply having data to stress out about while falling asleep isn't useful.