Flash is dead: Adobe announces end-of-life plans, will stop distribution in 2020

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    mubaili said:
    i just did a quick check on Google Finance
    As good as Google is with HTML5, the Logo Doodles for example, their Finance app still requires Flash simply because the functionality it provides is way beyond what can be achieved with Javascript and HTML5.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mubaili said:
    i just did a quick check on Google Finance, from 2010-10-1 to 2017-07-25,
    Adobe is up 455.18% while Apple only up 267.52%. So much for Flash is dead. 
    If there's a point you're trying to make I definitely don't get it. What would a relative rise in the value of a publicly traded company in comparison to another company have to do with the fact that a product is obsolescing?
    StrangeDaysdysamoria
  • Reply 23 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Took long enough.

dysamoria
  • Reply 24 of 55
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    volcan said:
    bradipao said:
     In fact once Flash was wounded to death, also the HTML5 promotion slowed.
    No question that Flash is a pretty big resource hog and probably a bit of a security risk, ...

That's a huge understatement. Flash has always been a huge security risk, second only to Microsoft macros. The proof is in the constant updates, and fixes to updates, required to keep Flash running and the fact it won't run within OSX and many websites unless it's been patched within the last 5 minutes! (ok a little stretch with the last statement but not much)
    netmageanton zuykov
  • Reply 25 of 55
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    mubaili said:
    That makes absolutely no sense. Are you trying to suggest that because Adobe's stock price is up from 2010 that this somehow means Flash is not a dying product? And are you even trying to suggest Adobe is a more valuable stock than Apple, even tho it's completely unrelated?
    dysamorianetmageanton zuykov
  • Reply 26 of 55
    rob53 said:

The proof is in the constant updates, and fixes to updates, required to keep Flash running 
    I'm not sure which has received more security patches over the years, OS X or Flash.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    volcan said:
    bradipao said:
     In fact once Flash was wounded to death, also the HTML5 promotion slowed.
    HTML5 is really difficult to develop with. Takes a lot longer to produce complex functionality than with Flash and the animations are usually not as smooth. Even Apple's use of HTML5 can be a little jerky and seems to take longer to initiate than an equivalent Flash application would.

No question that Flash is a pretty big resource hog and probably a bit of a security risk, but Javascript can be just as much a resource hog and is not entirely free of security issues either. The main benefit of HTML5 is that it usually works pretty well on mobile devices which are so prevalent these days. It just takes a lot more work to develop in HTML5. I have a lot of experience in both technologies.
    Javascript is nowhere near the security risk of Flash. Flash is a client-side component that must be installed on the client machine outside the scope of the browser or any one application and allows code to be executed within. Javascript is an interpreted  scripting language running inside the browser engine.
    Solidysamorianetmageanton zuykov
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Javascript is nowhere near the security risk of Flash. Flash is a client-side component that must be installed on the client machine outside the scope of the browser or any one application and allows code to be executed within. Javascript is an interpreted  scripting language running inside the browser engine.
    Sorry but you are not going to teach me anything about Flash or Javascript for that matter, and by the way the Flash Player running in Chrome is not outside of the scope of the browser. You apparently have no idea how much Javascript can be a privacy menace. Just ask Google.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Yay!  Party time.   :)
  • Reply 30 of 55
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 614member
    dachar said:
    This is good news but getting already constructed websites to be updated may prove hard. I have had to write to my son's school many times when they have set web based homework using sites that require Flash. As an Apple only family my son has been unable to do the homework due to our lack of Flash on our iMacs. l believe this is discriminatory and may result in no marks. The school has always been good about the issue but the homework still continues sometimes to be Flash based. I expect most of the teachers have no idea about the problems with Flash and many owners of older websites have not got resources to update their web pages.

A weak, if not fabricated, story. There are options for flash, but you have chosen to penalize your son by not helping him out. You've also set him up to expect everyone to work around his needs, wants, and desires.
    tokyojimudysamoria
  • Reply 31 of 55
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Get rid of obnoxious Flash once and for all. Use HTML5 instead.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    volcan said:
    I'm not sure which has received more security patches over the years, OS X or Flash.
     You know you are comparing a plugin with a complete OS? Big difference. Hackers love Flash.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 33 of 55
    dachar said:
    This is good news but getting already constructed websites to be updated may prove hard. I have had to write to my son's school many times when they have set web based homework using sites that require Flash. As an Apple only family my son has been unable to do the homework due to our lack of Flash on our iMacs. l believe this is discriminatory and may result in no marks. The school has always been good about the issue but the homework still continues sometimes to be Flash based. I expect most of the teachers have no idea about the problems with Flash and many owners of older websites have not got resources to update their web pages.

Chrome comes with Flash support built in. Use it if you need to see a Flash site. Stop your whining.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 34 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    As an alternative history exercise it would be interesting to contemplate where Flash would be today if Jobs had embraced it on iOS. 
  • Reply 35 of 55
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    volcan said:
    rob53 said:

The proof is in the constant updates, and fixes to updates, required to keep Flash running 
    OS X is a complete operating system, with a bunch of included tools to boot. 

Flash was a browser plug-in. 
    tallest skildysamoria
  • Reply 36 of 55
    dachar said:

Not an issue since you are perfectly capable of installing Flash on your iMacs and always have been. Flash works perfectly well on macOS. The fact that you choose not to install Flash does not make the school district discriminatory. Fight battles you can win and don't be a Don Quixote on principal.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 37 of 55
    volcan said:
    rob53 said:

If your motive is to compare Flash to macOS from a security point of view then your position is so far out in left field as to be ridiculous. 
    StrangeDaysdysamoria
  • Reply 38 of 55
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    volcan said:
    rob53 said:

Check out https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/search/results?adv_search=false&form_type=basic&results_type=overview&search_type=all&query=adobe+flash and you'll find 1073 "adobe flash" vulnerabilities. All for a single application. As everyone else knows, OS X/macOS is a huge collection of applications and programs and, therefore, has more on this list. If you want a nice article about Flash and Adobe's other products, check out this article from 2015, http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/flash-fades-adobe-crumbles/, to see how bad those vulnerabilities really were. Comparing Flash vulnerabilities to anything Apple has ever had is a joke since very ver OS X vulnerabilities have ever been exploited while many Flash vulnerabilities have. You need to be active in this field to understand the difference.

You mentioned security patches. This is a meaningless way to compare since Microsoft and Adobe tend to release what they consider a single patch but it includes fixes/patches to a wide range of software. Apple breaks down their patches and usually refers to the vulnerability patched using the CVE number.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    As for comparing Apple’s value over time vs Adobe, are we forgetting Apple’s multiple stock splits in this time?
  • Reply 40 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mubaili said:

Wow  now that's a non sequitur if ever I read one.  The analogy is wrong on so many levels it's not worth trying to respond other than as far as I have.  Unless of course you were actually joking in which case I apologize for not seeing it.
    dysamoria