Apple deploys third public beta releases of macOS 10.13 High Sierra, iOS 11, tvOS 11

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2017
Registered members of Apple's public beta testing program now have a third pre-release build of iOS 11 and macOS 10.13 High Sierra available to download, arriving just a day after the fourth developer beta.

Apple's iOS 11 is scheduled to be finalized and released to the public this fall, but intrepid users can opt in to test the early beta builds as bugs and kinks are worked out. Apple warns that all of its beta software should only be installed on devices dedicated for development and testing, and should not be used on mission-critical hardware.

High Sierra is also due to launch as a free update this fall. The software will support standards like Metal 2 and H.265/HEVC video, and transition to the Apple File System, already in use on iOS 10.3.x devices. Apple is also planning miscellaneous upgrades to apps like Photos, Mail, and Safari.

By spring 2018, High Sierra will also officially support external Thunderbolt 3 GPUs, enabling high-level graphics normally reserved for gaming PCs and workstations.

The third tvOS 11 public beta build addresses a host of home screen problems like text clipping and app icons. Issues that cropped with individual apps, like Music, have been resolved, while developers can more easily connect to an Apple TV for QuickTime screen recording.

All three of the public betas released on Tuesday match their equivalent developer releases from Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I don’t recall where I read it, but the fourth iOS 11 developer’s beta has some new bugs in it that Apple has noted. Some are not hidden either. I don’t remember what they are, offhand, but I do remember thinking that it wasn’t good. I’m going to try to find this, but I can’t promise when.

ok, it wasn’t that hard to find after all:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-11-beta-4-changes-bug-fixes-enhancements-etc.2058191/
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 2 of 4
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    melgross said:
    I don’t recall where I read it, but the fourth iOS 11 developer’s beta has some new bugs in it that Apple has noted. Some are not hidden either. I don’t remember what they are, offhand, but I do remember thinking that it wasn’t good. I’m going to try to find this, but I can’t promise when.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-11-beta-4-changes-bug-fixes-enhancements-etc.2058191/
    Those with access to developer betas typically log into Apple's developer portal to view the Release Notes before installing.

• Reply 3 of 4
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Those with access to developer betas typically log into Apple's developer portal to view the Release Notes before installing.

I’m really talking about the consumer beta here, which is what the article is about. I brought up the developer beta because that was what I was reading about, and as the consumer beta is usually an exact duplicate of the developer beta, the same information pertains to both.

most consumers who have the public betas aren’t as interested as developers in the problems, and will download it without knowing anything about it. They also have no access to the developer site, or don’t know how to access it. I’m not interested in the developers site either, because I’m much more interested in information that can be accessed more easily from general interest and Mac friendly sites, as that’s where people will find this info, should they care to look.

developers are, I would hope, interested in the advantages and negatives of betas, as it affects their work. I would hope they could worry about it themselves without depending on AI, or other sites.
    bshank
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Huge improvements over PB3.  Hallelujah!

BTW Mac Store reports this as Dev Beta even though I am only in the PB.  Probably just a missed string in the build.