Flash is dead: Adobe announces end-of-life plans, will stop distribution in 2020

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    maestro64 said:
    It will take 13 yrs but Steve did kill Flash.
    Yup!
  • Reply 42 of 55
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    rob53 said:
    volcan said:
    rob53 said:

The proof is in the constant updates, and fixes to updates, required to keep Flash running 
    I'm not sure which has received more security patches over the years, OS X or Flash.
    You mentioned security patches. This is a meaningless way to compare...
    Exactly my point. The number of times something has been fixed/improved is not a very good way to judge a piece of software. My comment was in response to your original "Proof" remark. Perhaps a bit tongue in cheek, however, apparently the sarcasm went over your head.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    fallenjt said:
    maestro64 said:
    It will take 13 yrs but Steve did kill Flash.
    Yup!
    Flash will surely exit in 3 years. This is simply an announcement that Adobe will stop distributing Flash. Keep in mind that someone may pick it up as a project, and there will still be millions upon millions of websites that still use it in 2020. It started obsolescing soon after the iPhone launched and its full browser made supporting WebKit a worthwhile endeavour., and has continued to obsolesce since then. The best you can see is Steve Jobs fatally wounded Flash a decade ago, but it didn't die then and won't be gone in 3 more years.
    spheric
  • Reply 44 of 55
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    volcan said:
    Javascript is nowhere near the security risk of Flash. Flash is a client-side component that must be installed on the client machine outside the scope of the browser or any one application and allows code to be executed within. Javascript is an interpreted  scripting language running inside the browser engine.
    Sorry but you are not going to teach me anything about Flash or Javascript for that matter, and by the way the Flash Player running in Chrome is not outside of the scope of the browser. You apparently have no idea how much Javascript can be a privacy menace. Just ask Google.
    Chrome aside, i cited and am referring to JS component installs on the client machine, which is how most people use Flash and have for over a decade. it's far more vulnerable than a JS engine in a browser.

I never mentioned JS privacy concerns, just your implication that JS is a security risk of as much as Flash, which it ain't. Feel free to cite your references if you believe otherwise.
    edited July 2017 netmage
  • Reply 45 of 55
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    2 | Clouds Over Cuba
    This interactive multimedia documentary uses the immersive nature of Flash to allow the audience to relive the Cuban Missile Crisis 50 years later and discover what might have been. Produced by the JFK Library this chilling website entertains and teaches. The mobile syncing and dossier are a great touch.

http://cloudsovercuba.com/
  • Reply 46 of 55
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    MacPro said:
    mubaili said:
    i just did a quick check on Google Finance, from 2010-10-1 to 2017-07-25,
    Adobe is up 455.18% while Apple only up 267.52%. So much for Flash is dead. 

Wow  now that's a non sequitur if ever I read one.  The analogy is wrong on so many levels it's not worth trying to respond other than as far as I have.  Unless of course you were actually joking in which case I apologize for not seeing it.
    nah, I am just observing some facts. Certainly wish I had picked up some Adobe shares back then when it seemed like it was going down. 
  • Reply 47 of 55
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mubaili said:
    MacPro said:
    mubaili said:

Wow  now that's a non sequitur if ever I read one.  The analogy is wrong on so many levels it's not worth trying to respond other than as far as I have.  Unless of course you were actually joking in which case I apologize for not seeing it.
    nah, I am just observing some facts. Certainly wish I had picked up some Adobe shares back then when it seemed like it was going down. 
    1) When did it seem like Adobe was going down?

2) Posting a comparison of how much stocks have gone up in a timeframe and then concluding with "So much for Flash is dead." is the non sequitur and is not "just observing some facts."
    dysamorianetmage
  • Reply 48 of 55
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    My only concern about Flash going away: What will future episodes of Homestar Runner be made with? :smiley: 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 49 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dysamoria said:
    My only concern about Flash going away: What will future episodes of Homestar Runner be made with? :smiley: 
    Hypertext Markup Lotion. They’ll need pretty big tubes of it. Slather it on… The KoT’ll just eat it.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    mubaili said:

What the fuck are you talking about?
  • Reply 51 of 55
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Finally! Jobs was and still is right - Flash is an outdated resource hog and security risk. On our old iMac, I could always tell when my son had left himself logged in - the Flash games he would play would be enough to slow down the entire machine, and whenever I hear the fan wind up on my Air there's about a 90% chance that it's a website running Flash. Not that there aren't other security risks or resource hogs, but Flash is one of the biggest.

When I installed Sierra, I tried hard not to install Flash, but there are a couple of websites I need for work that require it, so I was forced to install it. I try very hard to limit it to as few web sites as possible and find that life is better that way.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    aplnub said:
    Youtube still has Flash requirements in the "Enhancements" section when editing your Youtube video. 
    YouTube Video editor has been discontinued and will be removed soon. 
  • Reply 53 of 55
    ignominiignomini Posts: 69member
    dachar said:
    This is good news but getting already constructed websites to be updated may prove hard. I have had to write to my son's school many times when they have set web based homework using sites that require Flash. As an Apple only family my son has been unable to do the homework due to our lack of Flash on our iMacs. l believe this is discriminatory and may result in no marks. The school has always been good about the issue but the homework still continues sometimes to be Flash based. I expect most of the teachers have no idea about the problems with Flash and many owners of older websites have not got resources to update their web pages.

Discriminatory? The only thing discriminatory here is your unwillingness to install Flash on a computer when your child needs it to do homework. I hate Flash, but as long as it's still necessary in spots, I use it. For purposes of a personal agenda, you're making your son's life more difficult. Is virtue signaling really important than your child's education?
  • Reply 54 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    YouTube Video editor has been discontinued and will be removed soon. 
    They need to discontinue the new YouTube look (in beta). This stupid shit had BETTER NOT remove my ability to load an MP4 window with QuickTime controls when using YouTube on my iOS devices.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    StrangeDays said:
     just your implication that JS is a security risk of as much as Flash, which it ain't. 
    I never said that. I said JS is not entirely free of security risks, not that it is as much of a risk as Flash, but now that you mention it JS probably is more of a security risk than Flash because almost no one uses Flash anymore but JS is on every single website and with a little clever coding and use of HTML5 local storage, cookies etc, malicious or corporate hackers can pick up all kinds of personal information, browsing history, page views, ad clicks and the like.