Apple iOS App Store continues dominance over Google Play in earnings battle, gap widening

Posted:
in iPhone
While iOS App Store purchase volume may be losing ground from a marketshare perspective by number of downloads, Apple continues to dominate the market in consumer spending by a wide margin and still growing.




According to new data published by analytical firm App Annie, the app store market as a whole is growing by 15 percent per year in number of downloads. Google Play leads the charge gaining at 20 percent year over year with games being the main driver, and holds a 135 percent lead over Apple's iOS App Store.

The gap is driven by emerging markets, as well as the overall lower selling price of Android smartphones. App Annie expects the increase in total downloads, as well as the widening gap between Apple's iOS App Store and Google Play to continue for some time.




Apple's download total still grew by 5 percent. China continues to be the driving force behind the growth, with Russia seeing the largest market share growth, and India coming in third.

Number of downloads isn't the only metric that app stores can be measured by. Apple continues to hold 95 percent more of the money spent on apps, even with the disparity in total downloads.

In the year ago quarter, Apple opened its lead up by five percent, with the second quarter of 2016 seeing Apple holding a 90 percent lead over Google Play. Both app stores saw significant growth in consumer spend year over year with iOS and Google Play growing 35 percent and 30 percent, respectively.

China remains the largest growth market for consumer spending. As with download totals, games remain the largest contributor to spending, followed closely by video and music streaming apps. It is not clear if Apple Music subscriptions are included in App Annie's totals.

App Annie Intelligence consumer spend estimates represent the total consumer spend on both the iOS App Store and Google Play prior to fees taken out by Apple and Google. Amazon's store, and other Android app stores are not included.

Consumer spend estimates reflect what consumers spend in app stores for paid downloads and in-app purchases including subscriptions. They do not include revenue earned from in-app advertising.
macky the macky
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,950member
    As someone in another thread stated, Apple is lagging behind, stagnant, playing catchup, not innovating, falling behind... in every aspect except for profit, customer satisfaction, quality, design, and security. In those areas it's still the boss. And here we have yet another example of iOS users spending money while Android users don't. 
    radarthekatmacky the mackyjony0lolliverpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,976member
    Told you guys. Fandroids don't want to pay for apps.
    edited July 2017 ericthehalfbeecaliradarthekatlolliverpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I thought only the Taliban use Android phones anymore?
    SpamSandwichcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,542member
    fallenjt said:
    Told you guys. Fandroids don't want to pay for apps.
    I don't think it was ever a point of contention that Fandroids are just cheapskates that could never spot value if it were staring them in the face.

    I still find it hilarious that with all the noise in the media about Apple may be forced to make iOS less secure to allow for access by law enforcement, not one single peep from Google regarding the "security" of Android, or more specifically lack thereof.

    You never hear anything in the news about law enforcement trying to crack an Android phone.  That alone should give Fandroids shame for defending such a shitty product.
    lkruppcaliradarthekatjony0lolliverpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,031member
    lkrupp said:
    ...in every aspect except for profit, customer satisfaction, quality, design, and security..
    In other words, everywhere, where you can objectively MEASURE performance of those things, Apple wins. But when it is time for BS not-so-easy-to-measure metrics, that is where Apple falls behind.
    I see...

    edited July 2017 radarthekatjony0
  • Reply 6 of 23
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    "In other news... people who buy knockoff products have less money. More shocking stories to follow..."
    jony0lolliverpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 3,648member
    This is only Google Play Android.

    What happens when all the other Android stores are added onto the Google Play results?

    https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/29/app-annie-android-to-top-ios-in-app-store-revenue-this-year/


  • Reply 8 of 23
    mubailimubaili Posts: 387member
    so iPhone users spent more money and more time playing games? I am not sure that is a good thing at all. Good for Apple and game developers for sure, but for consumers? I don't know.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    I will point something out which may not be liked. The ratio of paid apps to free apps in the Google Play  Store is different to the ratio in iOS and just because people choose not to pay for something because a free app does the job just as well, does not make them any less of a person than someone who pays for an app that does the same as the free one. 

    As for the comment about not hearing of an android phone needing to be tapped into because it was owned by a terrorist, have you noticed that every time a phone is retrieved from a terrorist or criminal.....its an iPhone. Perhaps this is directly because of the security of an iPhone which makes it the choice of terrorists and such like, because they know law enforcement will have trouble getting in. Android has good security but not quite as good as iOS which makes the iPhone the phone to go for, if you have dodgy dealings to hide.

    If I can get an App that does exactly what I want it to do and its free, why should I pay for one that does exactly the same but just looks a bit better or different?
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 10 of 23
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    avon b7 said:
    This is only Google Play Android.

    What happens when all the other Android stores are added onto the Google Play results?

    https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/29/app-annie-android-to-top-ios-in-app-store-revenue-this-year/


    Why the hell are you here buddy, huh. This is their claim buddy, nothing else. I'm really tired of your constant shilling.
    tmayjony0pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,031moderator
    lkrupp said:
    As someone in another thread stated, Apple is lagging behind, stagnant, playing catchup, not innovating, falling behind... in every aspect except for profit, customer satisfaction, quality, design, and security. In those areas it's still the boss. And here we have yet another example of iOS users spending money while Android users don't. 
    Somebody reads my comments.  Yay!  Lol
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,645member
    avon b7 said:
    This is only Google Play Android.

    What happens when all the other Android stores are added onto the Google Play results?

    https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/29/app-annie-android-to-top-ios-in-app-store-revenue-this-year/


    What happens is that today, the collective revenue of all of the Android Stores is still less than that of Apple. I'm speculating that after the release of Apple's iPhone 8, iOS 11, and all of those AR apps, Apple will still lead next year.

    Did you get your participation trophy today? 
    edited July 2017 jony0lolliverpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,000member
    mubaili said:
    so iPhone users spent more money and more time playing games? I am not sure that is a good thing at all. Good for Apple and game developers for sure, but for consumers? I don't know.
    It simply means people who owns iPhone are more likely to use their phone to maximum extent and do not hesitate to pay more money for Apps (not necessary only games) that they enjoy because of the high quality experience the iPhone offers - as opposed to, you know, majority Android phones.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,645member
    sflocal said:
    fallenjt said:
    Told you guys. Fandroids don't want to pay for apps.
    I don't think it was ever a point of contention that Fandroids are just cheapskates that could never spot value if it were staring them in the face.

    I still find it hilarious that with all the noise in the media about Apple may be forced to make iOS less secure to allow for access by law enforcement, not one single peep from Google regarding the "security" of Android, or more specifically lack thereof.

    You never hear anything in the news about law enforcement trying to crack an Android phone.  That alone should give Fandroids shame for defending such a shitty product.
    Sir, credibility is lost when one has to descend to using derogatory terms such as fandroid.  You will balk when someone might call you an Apple fanboy, but it is ok for you to incite discord by call all Android users fandroids?  You also insinuate that anyone who purchases an Android phone is of low standing in society.  Please supply any evidence of this?  In the UK I can confirm that every the majority of iPhone users are people on benefits, so your correlations doesn't seem to hold up.

    I really used to love this site, but it's become so much of a click bait site now.  There's no new blood in the forums because everyone gets attacked by the so called 'regulars' even if someone has a different view.  Don't turn into a parody site like BGR. 

    Your three comments to date here have all been about how poorly other viewpoints are treated, yet you haven't added anything at all to the conversation. Then you add the spicy bit above "In the UK I can confirm that every the majority of iPhone users are people on benefits, so your correlations doesn't seem to hold up", yet you don't give us the benefit of your posted wisdom by providing a link to that very data.

    That qualifies as Fandroid behavior in my book.
    edited July 2017 lolliverpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    lkrupp said:
    ...in every aspect except for profit, customer satisfaction, quality, design, and security..
    In other words, everywhere, where you can objectively MEASURE performance of those things, Apple wins. But when it is time for BS not-so-easy-to-measure metrics, that is where Apple falls behind.
    I see...


    You do realise the lkrupp is on your side, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 3,648member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    This is only Google Play Android.

    What happens when all the other Android stores are added onto the Google Play results?

    https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/29/app-annie-android-to-top-ios-in-app-store-revenue-this-year/


    What happens is that today, the collective revenue of all of the Android Stores is still less than that of Apple. I'm speculating that after the release of Apple's iPhone 8, iOS 11, and all of those AR apps, Apple will still lead next year.

    Did you get your participation trophy today? 
    So, you reply to my post stating something as fact - today - and providing nothing factuaI to back it up and then less an hour later and, in the same thread, you take issue with a poster for not supporting his claims  with a link?

    A poster with just three posts under his belt and instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt you go on the offensive.

    I think today, all you can go by is some App Annie data (or from some similiar mechanism) so in reality you cannot have even the slightest idea of what the situation is today to base your statement on. However, if we accept App Annie as a viable indicator, the link I provided forecast that combined Android App store revenue would surpass the Apple App Store (and by a decent margin) this year. We are nearly in August and the year is winding down. Nothing much will happen between now and September. You don't think that the change could have happened already?

    The link also indicated that 75% of world app store revenue came from just five countries. If just one of those countries were to 'wobble' the general forecast would be impacted.

    Now, two of the five are the UK and China.

    The economic indicators for the UK this year (and going forward) are bleak (I'm being kind with that adjective) and China has been a tough sell for Apple this year with competitors pushing Apple down the sales ranking. Do you need links for those or can we say that these points are generally accepted?

    What impact could this have on Apple App Store revenues in 2017?

    Of course, we can't know but at least I'm painting a picture based on tangible information and joining the dots with logic few people could scoff at.

    I could even expand on that and say that a large part of app store revenues are attributable to games and subscriptions. Now, subscriptions are exactly the kind of thing that gets the chop when personal budgets constrict. Do you think that consumer optimism is at an all time high in the UK right now? And China? What impact will China Android sales have on Android app store metrics?

    Your personal forecast for iOS 11 and AR apps just amounts to wishful thinking today.

    No need to comment on your trophy comment.







    edited July 2017
  • Reply 17 of 23
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 3,648member
    foggyhill said:
    avon b7 said:
    This is only Google Play Android.

    What happens when all the other Android stores are added onto the Google Play results?

    https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/29/app-annie-android-to-top-ios-in-app-store-revenue-this-year/


    Why the hell are you here buddy, huh. This is their claim buddy, nothing else. I'm really tired of your constant shilling.
    Already answered. Numerous times.

    You know the one about throwing stones and living in glass houses?

    This article is about Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. It is made extremely clear in the article itself. It is not about Android app stores in general but nevertheless some people automatically read a different story in their heads and feel the need to gleefully spout off about all things Android, Fandroids etc.

    My post straightened things out in a very mild manner. No gloating, ridicule or personal attacks.




    edited July 2017
  • Reply 18 of 23
    sflocal said:
    fallenjt said:
    Told you guys. Fandroids don't want to pay for apps.
    I don't think it was ever a point of contention that Fandroids are just cheapskates that could never spot value if it were staring them in the face.

    I still find it hilarious that with all the noise in the media about Apple may be forced to make iOS less secure to allow for access by law enforcement, not one single peep from Google regarding the "security" of Android, or more specifically lack thereof.

    You never hear anything in the news about law enforcement trying to crack an Android phone.  That alone should give Fandroids shame for defending such a shitty product.
    Cheapskates - This is exactly what YOU and a BILLION other iPhone owners (and other Android phone owners as well) would be called by few elitist owners of Vertu ANDROID smartphone owners, for not owning a "REAL PREMIUM" smartphone instead of owning something that every Tom, Dick and Harry (about a BILLION of them) owns in this world!!! When that happens, just be prepared with your response.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 19 of 23
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,645member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    This is only Google Play Android.

    What happens when all the other Android stores are added onto the Google Play results?

    https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/29/app-annie-android-to-top-ios-in-app-store-revenue-this-year/


    What happens is that today, the collective revenue of all of the Android Stores is still less than that of Apple. I'm speculating that after the release of Apple's iPhone 8, iOS 11, and all of those AR apps, Apple will still lead next year.

    Did you get your participation trophy today? 
    So, you reply to my post stating something as fact - today - and providing nothing factuaI to back it up and then less an hour later and, in the same thread, you take issue with a poster for not supporting his claims  with a link?

    A poster with just three posts under his belt and instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt you go on the offensive.

    I think today, all you can go by is some App Annie data (or from some similiar mechanism) so in reality you cannot have even the slightest idea of what the situation is today to base your statement on. However, if we accept App Annie as a viable indicator, the link I provided forecast that combined Android App store revenue would surpass the Apple App Store (and by a decent margin) this year. We are nearly in August and the year is winding down. Nothing much will happen between now and September. You don't think that the change could have happened already?

    The link also indicated that 75% of world app store revenue came from just five countries. If just one of those countries were to 'wobble' the general forecast would be impacted.

    Now, two of the five are the UK and China.

    The economic indicators for the UK this year (and going forward) are bleak (I'm being kind with that adjective) and China has been a tough sell for Apple this year with competitors pushing Apple down the sales ranking. Do you need links for those or can we say that these points are generally accepted?

    What impact could this have on Apple App Store revenues in 2017?

    Of course, we can't know but at least I'm painting a picture based on tangible information and joining the dots with logic few people could scoff at.

    I could even expand on that and say that a large part of app store revenues are attributable to games and subscriptions. Now, subscriptions are exactly the kind of thing that gets the chop when personal budgets constrict. Do you think that consumer optimism is at an all time high in the UK right now? And China? What impact will China Android sales have on Android app store metrics?

    Your personal forecast for iOS 11 and AR apps just amounts to wishful thinking today.

    No need to comment on your trophy comment.







    I speculated, in actual fact I used the word "speculating", that Apple would, because of iOS 11 and ARKit, have increased app sales later in the year that would make your App Annie prediction inaccurate. I stated nothing as a fact, and the App Annie link is as well a prediction that is not yet fact. But today, based only on your link, the iOS App Store still has greater revenue than all of the Android Stores combines. 

    When it happens that all of the combined Android App Stores exceed the revenue of the iOS App Store, then come by AI and post a factual link, and gloat. In the meantime, it hasn't happened, and more to the point, the original post was fully accurate comparing Google Play with the iOS App Store.

    As to the other poster; he has only complained and/or called out AI Members in his three posts, hasn't added anything to the conversation, and hasn't earned the right to be taken seriously. 
  • Reply 20 of 23
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 3,648member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    This is only Google Play Android.

    What happens when all the other Android stores are added onto the Google Play results?

    https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/29/app-annie-android-to-top-ios-in-app-store-revenue-this-year/


    What happens is that today, the collective revenue of all of the Android Stores is still less than that of Apple. I'm speculating that after the release of Apple's iPhone 8, iOS 11, and all of those AR apps, Apple will still lead next year.

    Did you get your participation trophy today? 
    So, you reply to my post stating something as fact - today - and providing nothing factuaI to back it up and then less an hour later and, in the same thread, you take issue with a poster for not supporting his claims  with a link?

    A poster with just three posts under his belt and instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt you go on the offensive.

    I think today, all you can go by is some App Annie data (or from some similiar mechanism) so in reality you cannot have even the slightest idea of what the situation is today to base your statement on. However, if we accept App Annie as a viable indicator, the link I provided forecast that combined Android App store revenue would surpass the Apple App Store (and by a decent margin) this year. We are nearly in August and the year is winding down. Nothing much will happen between now and September. You don't think that the change could have happened already?

    The link also indicated that 75% of world app store revenue came from just five countries. If just one of those countries were to 'wobble' the general forecast would be impacted.

    Now, two of the five are the UK and China.

    The economic indicators for the UK this year (and going forward) are bleak (I'm being kind with that adjective) and China has been a tough sell for Apple this year with competitors pushing Apple down the sales ranking. Do you need links for those or can we say that these points are generally accepted?

    What impact could this have on Apple App Store revenues in 2017?

    Of course, we can't know but at least I'm painting a picture based on tangible information and joining the dots with logic few people could scoff at.

    I could even expand on that and say that a large part of app store revenues are attributable to games and subscriptions. Now, subscriptions are exactly the kind of thing that gets the chop when personal budgets constrict. Do you think that consumer optimism is at an all time high in the UK right now? And China? What impact will China Android sales have on Android app store metrics?

    Your personal forecast for iOS 11 and AR apps just amounts to wishful thinking today.

    No need to comment on your trophy comment.







    I speculated, in actual fact I used the word "speculating", that Apple would, because of iOS 11 and ARKit, have increased app sales later in the year that would make your App Annie prediction inaccurate. I stated nothing as a fact, and the App Annie link is as well a prediction that is not yet fact. But today, based only on your link, the iOS App Store still has greater revenue than all of the Android Stores combines. 

    When it happens that all of the combined Android App Stores exceed the revenue of the iOS App Store, then come by AI and post a factual link, and gloat. In the meantime, it hasn't happened, and more to the point, the original post was fully accurate comparing Google Play with the iOS App Store.

    As to the other poster; he has only complained and/or called out AI Members in his three posts, hasn't added anything to the conversation, and hasn't earned the right to be taken seriously. 
    You realise my link was from March and your post was about now?

    Have you seen anything to back up your statement that the Apple App Store is still (today) topping the revenue charts against the combined Android app stores?

    My reply was there on that point first. My post mentioned a forecast, a prediction (and from the same data source as the AI article) and Included the link. Your post stated that the forecast hadn't become reality yet.  How do you know? Do you have figures for today? If you have them, all I ask is that you post the link because that's what you are complaining about with the other poster. Shouldn't you be practicing what you preach? 

    A completely different issue is your speculation on the impact of iOS 11. That's fine and that's exactly why I didn't take issue with it in my reply although it amounts to wishful thinking (today) as iOS 11 and AR apps have yet to become available. Speculate all you want (I do exactly the same) but when you start claiming facts that you don't or can't backup, you are on thin ice. When you complain about others doing the same (and in the same thread), the ice breaks.
    edited July 2017
Sign In or Register to comment.