Watch: Hands-on with iOS 11's new Document Scanner

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2017
When iOS 11 debuts this fall, users will be able to take advantage of a new feature in the Notes app that automatically senses and scans documents, makes crops, adjusts image settings to remove tilt and glare, and allows on-the-fly markups using a finger or Apple Pencil. AppleInsider goes hands on with the function in this video.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

lostkiwi

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

How many scanning and notes based apps just got Sherlocked? I can see myself deleting a couple, at least.

If it does OCR, then a few more have just bought it, too.

cornchipoberpongooberpongowatto_cobrajahbladeMetriacanthosaurusjony0spinnyd
  • Reply 2 of 13
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Finally!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I have relied on the great Scanner Pro app for years. Maybe it's time to retire it
    jahbladeMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 4 of 13
    That looks very, very nice! It looks like iOS11 will actually steal the spotlight from whatever hardware is introduced in September!!
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Yup...one less app needed from the App Store. Sorry Scanner Pro.
    watto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 6 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    That looks very, very nice! It looks like iOS11 will actually steal the spotlight from whatever hardware is introduced in September!!
    If the new Control Center was the only new feature I think that iOS 11 would be huge hit.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    anome said:

How many scanning and notes based apps just got Sherlocked? I can see myself deleting a couple, at least.

If it does OCR, then a few more have just bought it, too.

Without OCR it's almost useless. But I recall something about ocr during the keynote
  • Reply 8 of 13
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member
    I wonder why sharing is missing an option for Messages.  
  • Reply 9 of 13
    What is impressive about Apple's implementation: It gets a perfect scan from even a steep angle. I've tried scanning the same document from an extreme angle, and from straight on, the resulting scans are indistinguishable. This is incredibly impressive and unlike anything I've ever used before. And that's not even using a special 3D camera, just the equipment on the 7 Plus.

Makes you wonder what other soon-to-be application Apple has for a camera scanning something at a distance at an extreme angle...OH that's right, Face ID.
    waverboy
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Seems cool!

Scanner Pro is super good for me right now. Not sure why i have to create a Note first to use the scan option. Seems like an extra step. I suppose real world usage will help me decide what's the best option. 

No doubt Apple has really taken a major step forward with iOS 11. Can't wait! 

spheric
  • Reply 11 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,930member
    OCR would be really nice - hopefully that'll be included, too. Agree that the ability to remove keystoning from pics taken at an angle is a cool feature. The more I see of iOS 11, the more it's convincing me that I can ditch my Air for an iPad pro...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    This is all well & good but a simple photographed signature markup seems to elude iOS.  Mail has inline signing but it won't snap or import an image, MacOS insists on vector-tracing a signature making it look fake.  Only Adobe fill & sign gets close but even then PDF document management is woeful, iBooks won't share and where's Preview?

I hope iOS11 fixes all.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    What I want and need in Notes/scans: A way to email groups of separate scans.