Nintendo's mobile sales surge 450% on strength of 'Super Mario Run,' 'Fire Emblem Heroes' ...

Posted:
in iPhone
Though the real standout was its hot selling hybrid Switch console and assorted software, mobile games were a very strong performer for Nintendo last quarter, with income surging a whopping 450 percent year over year.

For the quarter ending June 30, Nintendo on Wednesday reported its smart device and IP related income was 9.0 billion yen, or about $80.5 million U.S. The company specifically highlighted its own in-house titles: Super Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes.

Nintendo doesn't break down sales by title or platform, but given industry wide trends that have consistently shown the vast majority of paid app sales occur on Apple's iOS platform, it's likely that most Mario and Fire Emblem purchases have occurred on iPhones.

Unmentioned, but still a small contributor to Nintendo's mobile bottom line, was Pokemon Go, a title that the company did not develop, but from which it does receive a licensing fee.

Looking forward, Nintendo said it will release "new game applications" for smart devices in the coming months, but declined to offer specifics. Rumors have suggested some sort of mobile version of the blockbuster Legend of Zelda series could be in the works, while a version of Animal Crossing is slated for later this year.

The Japanese game maker also pledged to support existing titles with new content, "so that customers can enjoy playing them for a long time."

While Nintendo's mobile growth was impressive, its own hardware sales and in-house game content continue to be the company's bread and butter. The smash hit Switch console sold 1.97 million units, while another 8.14 million games were sold for the system last quarter

Digital game sales for its consoles alone, not including retail purchases, outpaced mobile revenue, with total sales of 11.0 billion yen, or $98.3 million U.S.

In all, Nintendo posted 16.2 billion yen, or $144.8 million U.S., in operating profit for the three-month period. That compares to a loss of 5.1 billion yen, or $45.6 million U.S., in the same period a year ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Like most people I just want the original Mario games, amongst other, on my phone or Apple TV.

Sell a Nintendo remote along with those games for my Apple TV and you can pretty much have £50 off of me without a moments thought.
    schlacktallest skillolliver
  • Reply 2 of 7
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    I bet they wish they entered the market sooner and not shot it down as inferior to their platform.
    tallest skilwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 3 of 7
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Nintendo and Apple belong together.

They should have at least signed an exclusive deal with Apple. More money for both.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    sog35 said:
    SMR is a damn good game.

Nintendo please bring some of your classics to AppleTV.

Super Mario1, 2, 3

Super Mario World

Zelda 1,2,3

Zelda OOT

Punchout

ect...

Charge $5-$10 per game. 

Why not?  AppleTV is not competing with the Nintendo Switch. Bring those classic games so a new generation of gamers and old gamers can enjoy those games.

Sometimes Nintendo can be so clueless
    Wouldn't be better to purchase a Super NES Classic for $80.00 than an Apple TV?  I think it a better option compared to what you propose of Apple TV (USD$150/USD$200) + controller (USD$70) + USD$5/10 per game.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    saarek said:
    Like most people I just want the original Mario games, amongst other, on my phone or Apple TV.

Sell a Nintendo remote along with those games for my Apple TV and you can pretty much have £50 off of me without a moments thought.
    The Super NES Classic cost USD$80.00 and don't need an ATV, which cost by itself $150/$200.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cali said:
    Nintendo and Apple belong together.

They should have at least signed an exclusive deal with Apple. More money for both.
    MS and Sony have a larger presence in the living room than Apple, and Android has a larger marketshare.  I think that exclusivity won't help them.