Samsung hits record quarterly profits, likely briefly topping Apple ahead of 'iPhone 8'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple rival Samsung Electronics has posted profits of $12.65 billion for the June quarter, its highest quarterly revenues ever -- also eclipsing predictions for Apple's performance in the period, though the situation is likely to reverse once this fall's iPhones ship.

Samsung's profits were up 72.7 percent, while revenues rose 19.8 percent to $54.72 billion, according to Reuters. The South Korean company said its success can be credited largely to memory chip sales, including DRAM and NAND modules.

In fact its mobile division saw a 4.7 percent dip in profits, though sales of the Galaxy S8 and S8+ were reportedly 15 percent higher than for the S7 series.

In comparison, Apple's forecasts for the June quarter call for profits around $10.54 billion. The period is typically a slower one for the company though, with iPhone sales ebbing in anticipation of new models, and few other product launches filling in the gap.

This September Apple is expected to unveil three new iPhones, led by the "iPhone 8" -- typically rumored to have an edge-to-edge, 5.8-inch OLED display manufactured by Samsung. The latter firm has near total control of the smartphone OLED market, as companies like LG and Foxconn's Sharp are only now beginning to step up efforts.

The other two models, the "iPhone 7s" and "7s Plus," are rumored to have 4.7- and 5.5-inch LCDs. They may share some "8" features, such as wireless charging, but lack others like 3D facial recognition and/or a rear-facing laser for autofocus and augmented reality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,077member
    Apple rival Samsung Electronics has posted profits of $12.65 billion for the June quarter, its highest quarterly revenues ever -- also eclipsing predictions for Apple's performance in the period, though the situation is likely to reverse once this fall's iPhones ship.

I think you're looking at Samsung's operating profit, not its profit. It reported an operating profit (i.e. before income taxes and other income/expenses) of 14.07 trillion KRW, which is around $12.6 billion. It reported a net profit of 11.05 trillion KRW, which is around $9.9 billion.

That said, Samsung's semiconductor business is smokin'. That business accounted for 57% (8.03 trillion KRW, $7.2 billion) of its operating profit.
    avon b7SpamSandwichpscooter63Rayz2016anantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 30
     its success can be credited largely to memory chip sales, including DRAM and NAND modules.
    Yeah - purchased by Apple for the next iPhones.
    anton zuykovlolliver
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Galaxy S8 might be selling better than S7 but the price has gone down since released so may have hit profit margins. Will be interesting to see which new iPhone has highest margins. Given i8 will probably be limited supply, it may be priced artificially high with highest margins. If new i7s have tighter margins and sell much higher than i8, could impact Apple profits after first quart of release too. And if upcoming Galaxy Note 8 is priced closer to new i7s than i8, could hurt Apple overall, at least in terms of drawing new people into iPhone. My guess is Samsung will initially price Note 8 high then plan to drop price closer to new i7s when released.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    carnegie said:

I think you're looking at Samsung's operating profit, not its profit. It reported an operating profit (i.e. before income taxes and other income/expenses) of 14.07 trillion KRW, which is around $12.6 billion. It reported a net profit of 11.05 trillion KRW, which is around $9.9 billion.

That said, Samsung's semiconductor business is smokin'. That business accounted for 57% (8.03 trillion KRW, $7.2 billion) of its operating profit.
    Thank you, saved me the time to check.  So how does that really stack up to Apple?

• Reply 5 of 30
    Does Apple even have a true rival? Especially if we are considering smartphones that cost more than $400? I read that the reason why Samsung's mobile profits dropped even though sales of the S8/S8+ were 15% higher than the S7/S7+ last year is because the cost of components is rising. (Meaning that rising profits of Samsung Components were somewhat at the expense of Samsung Mobile.) So Samsung Mobile is getting a smaller profit margin from their cheaper phones that they sell in huge numbers, which eats into the profits that they get from their more expensive phones. They also seem to be selling fewer cheaper phones overall as more and more of that market goes to local OEMs in China and India. I would imagine that Nokia launching good, affordable phones in those markets will eat into Samsung's market share even further. But Samsung is showing the benefits of not having all your eggs in one plate. Their components business allows them to ignore a dip in their mobile hardware profits (as does their appliances business). Similar to how the Chinese smartphone makers are able to do fine breaking even to incurring small losses on smartphones so long as the Internet services and apps that they use smartphones to drive keep doing well (except for LeCo that is, who overextended themselves and are most certainly not doing fine ... but on the other hand Xiaomi has rebounded after a couple of bad years ... funny how their return to growth coincided with former Google exec Hugo Barra "resigning" incidentally) which is essentially the Amazon hardware strategy. But bottom line: Apple has no real competitor. Their hardware profits dwarf everyone else in mobile. Their app profits do too (though a huge part of this is because Google takes no app revenue in China ... but that is not a bad thing as having their own app stores allows the Chinese OEMs to make the money that they won't get from hardware, as HTC and perhaps even LG could desperately use app revenue to cover their hardware profitability problems too). This state of affairs will remain until there is another major advance in tech similar to the one that the iPhone created. Microsoft is desperately hoping that their Windows 10 on ARM will cause this by removing the distinction between mobile devices and PCs (foldable devices that will be phones or tablets when you carry them with you but will seamlessly be able to be connected to keyboards, mice and multiple external monitors via a USB Type C hub when you are at your home or office desk) but that remains to be seen. Google is aiming for the same with their Fuschia OS, but they are probably about 6 months to a year behind Microsoft, who is already in the beta test phase for Continuum devices that will launch in 2018. That will leave Apple to continue their 7 years and counting strategy of trying to convince people to use iPads to replace laptops (which even most public schools are abandoning in favor of Chromebooks ... though granted iPads slaughter Chromebooks in in sales generally).
  • Reply 6 of 30
    This article makes a good case for Samsung's superiority. Perhaps we should all switch before it's too late. /s 
    anton zuykovSpamSandwich[Deleted User]pscooter63lkruppwatto_cobralolliveriqatedo
  • Reply 7 of 30
    MacPro said:
    carnegie said:

Thank you, saved me the time to check.  So how does that really stack up to Apple?

You're welcome.

Samsung's profit ($9.9 billion) will likely beat Apple's profit for the second calendar year quarter. Apple's guidance works out to a range of $7.5 to $8.5 billion. It would need to beat the top of that range by around 17% to top Samsung for the quarter. I'd say that's possible, but not very likely.
    edited July 2017 lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 30
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Are they saying that Samsung, at their best, is just edging out Apple at its slowest time?
    netmagelkruppwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 9 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This article makes a good case for Samsung's superiority. Perhaps we should all switch before it's too late. /s 
    You have to wonder why Apple centric blog sites keep publishing stuff like this. I guess they have large audiences of Apple naysayers who soak this tuff up as proof of their anti-Apple bias. And I guess the Apple supporters love to poke holes in these article's premises. Of course arguments almost always arise between supporters and naysayers resulting in large comment sections. 
    pscooter63caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

carnegie said:
    MacPro said:
    carnegie said:

You're welcome.

Samsung's profit ($9.9 billion) will likely beat Apple's profit for the second calendar year quarter. Apple's guidance works out to a range of $7.5 to $8.5 billion. It would need to beat the top of that range by around 17% to top Samsung for the quarter. I'd say that's possible, but not very likely.
    And that's important and newsworthy because...
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 11 of 30
    That's exactly what someone said to me today. The difference is that they were trying to sell me a 2yr contract for an S8 for £46.50 a month.
    The came shop was flogging iPhone 6's again on a 2yr contract for £23/month as well as recon'd 5s's.
    I smiled sweetly and passed. I bought a secondhand iPhone 7 (128Gb) last week for a good deal less than I'd pay even for an S7 and a year on my PAYG contract over two years. Why would I switch?
    :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    lkrupp said:

carnegie said:
    MacPro said:
    carnegie said:

You're welcome.

I haven't much considered whether it's important or newsworthy; it was an answer to the question I was asked.
    netmageRayz2016pscooter63anantksundaramlolliver
  • Reply 13 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    lkrupp said:
    You have to wonder why Apple centric blog sites keep publishing stuff like this. I guess they have large audiences of Apple naysayers who soak this tuff up as proof of their anti-Apple bias. And I guess the Apple supporters love to poke holes in these article's premises. Of course arguments almost always arise between supporters and naysayers resulting in large comment sections. 
    You may be right on some of those points but if we are honest, it's hard to poke holes in financials when they are 'best ever' and outlook is positive.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    There you have it folks...Apple is officially screwed! Samsung has won...Apple has lost! Time for a new CEO! /s
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    You may be right on some of those points but if we are honest, it's hard to poke holes in financials when they are 'best ever' and outlook is positive.
    Fair enough, but when some 70% of these profits are from component sales, one will have to look much closer at Samsung's mobile operation for signs of growth driven by the S8 and Note over the next quarter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 30
    macxpress said:
    There you have it folks...Apple is officially screwed! Samsung has won...Apple has lost! Time for a new CEO! /s
    Time for the obligatory

Apple is Doomed and will file for Chapter 11 next week.

Yeah right.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    lkrupp said:

carnegie said:
    MacPro said:
    carnegie said:

You're welcome.

Carnegie was kindly directly answering my question, comparing apples with apples.  I don't like to see 'profits' mentioned unless we are discussing net profits in these types of articles and I asked for clarification and received it.
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 18 of 30
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    carnegie said:

Thank you for the clarification but when anyone compares Samsung Electronic's profit against Apple's they're comparing two different types of companies. It would be like a huge farming conglomerate comparing their profit against General Mills. The farm produces the raw materials that General Mills uses in their cereals, just like Samsung produces electronic components for Apple. If we're going to compare Samsung and Apple's profits, then we need to compare Samsung's mobile profits/loses against Apple's mobile profits and we all now who wins that contest.
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 19 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Fair enough, but when some 70% of these profits are from component sales, one will have to look much closer at Samsung's mobile operation for signs of growth driven by the S8 and Note over the next quarter.
    Most definitely. This year end looks to be a hot one for handset sales. Apple might have three phones out, Samsung will add the Note 8, Xiaomi managed to chalk up a 70% increase in sales recently and will push harder. Huawei will have the Mate 10 and just released the Honor 9. Oppo, One Plus One, etc. Users will be spoilt for choice. 

Something of note is that right now, in my part of the world, Apple is pushing the iPhone 6 32GB very hard, through third party retail stores for 379€. It's getting front page spreads on some retail sites and prominent placing at some tech department stores. 
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 20 of 30
    lkrupp said:
    It's like poking an anthill with a stick, and watching the ants scurry in fury. Each time an ant appears, an online ad impression is registered.
    tmaypscooter63watto_cobra