Apple pulls iPod nano, iPod shuffle from website, future uncertain

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
In a quiet update to its webpage, Apple has removed the iPod nano and iPod shuffle product pages, leaving only the iPod touch intact for shoppers seeking the family of devices.

At some point on Thursday, the pages disappeared for the nearly five-year-old iPod nano and shuffle. It is not clear why the pages were removed, with speculation blossoming that the product lines have been discontinued.

AppleInsider has attempted to confirm the death of the products. However, Apple retail stores have not pulled them from shelves, and do not claim to have received any guidance on the matter from corporate.

The iPod shuffle was introduced in January 2005, and faced supply constraints at launch. It saw four discrete variations, and varying storage capacities over its lifetime, ranging from 512MB to 4GB.

The iPod nano launched in September 2005. Notably, the sixth generation model released in September 2010 boasted a 2.2-inch screen, and third parties made wrist straps available for it to allow the device to function as a timepiece well before the release of the Apple Watch.

The iPod shuffle was last updated in September 2010, with the nano getting new color options and little else in July 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Other than the iPod touch I don't really know why you'd even buy one of these anymore. iPhones do everything this does as to Apple Watches. I can understand an iPod touch as maybe your child would like something like this and you don't want to go out and get a full blown iPhone for them yet. 
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Wow! Looks like an end to an era.

I had the first gen white shuffle and loved it and then the Product Red Nano and loved it. When I got the first gen iPhone I gave the iPods to my nieces. Also, bought the first 'clip-on' Shuffle for my GF way back when.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    They're still on Apple.ca:

iPod nano

Get moving.

Learn more Buy

until you hit the "Buy" link and get 

The page you’re looking for can’t be found.

:D 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Omg I want one now that I can't have one!  ;)
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 10
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    mknelson said:
    They're still on Apple.ca:

iPod nano

Get moving.

Learn more Buy

until you hit the "Buy" link and get 

The page you’re looking for can’t be found.

:D 
    These aren't the iPods you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    macxpress said:
    Other than the iPod touch I don't really know why you'd even buy one of these anymore. iPhones do everything this does as to Apple Watches. I can understand an iPod touch as maybe your child would like something like this and you don't want to go out and get a full blown iPhone for them yet. 
    Here's two reasons. I'm sure there are more.

1. I use an older Nano in my car. Stays there all the time except for when I bring it in to update/add music. Always there, always charged. Don't have to worry about connecting my phone every time I get in the car. My car has iPod control through the factory system but not Bluetooth Audio.

2. My wife uses a Nano at the gym. Smaller and easier to deal with. Leaves her phone in a locker or the car.

caliSpamSandwichking editor the gratewatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 7 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    mike1 said:
    macxpress said:

1. I use an older Nano in my car. Stays there all the time except for when I bring it in to update/add music. Always there, always charged. Don't have to worry about connecting my phone every time I get in the car. My car has iPod control through the factory system but not Bluetooth Audio.

2. My wife uses a Nano at the gym. Smaller and easier to deal with. Leaves her phone in a locker or the car.

Oohhhh perfect opportunity for an "iPod Car" version. Seriously a lot of people use theirs for car only. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    cali said:
    mike1 said:
    macxpress said:

Oohhhh perfect opportunity for an "iPod Car" version. Seriously a lot of people use theirs for car only. 
    I looked into this with my newly acquired, Car Play enabled Ford Sync 3. The problem is that while you can indeed connect an iPod to the system to play music, you can't also have a iPhone plugged in to use its functions.(like maps, Siri, and yes, messages and phone.) If you don't use CarPlay for that then sure - you can have portable music stashes on an iPod. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    cali said:
    mike1 said:
    macxpress said:

I'll probably look around for some used older Nanos to keep around for the future.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    The shuffle is perfect for running or working out, battery charge lasts about a week, it's cheap as chips, it's not bulky, it weighs stuff all and it's a shame if it's being phased out.
    watto_cobra