Apple kills iPod nano, iPod shuffle lines after nearly 12 years of service

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    polymnia said:
    polymnia said:
    Stupid decision, Tim. The shuffle is the only iPod I consider reasonable to wear during exercise and the best version of the shuffle used to be the one with a bigger clip!

On occasion, when Apple screws up this should be seen as a clear opportunity for their competition.
    Anyone who enters the standalone, non-smart  MP3 player market (with or without the discontinued iPods) deserves the failure they will suffer trying to exploit this "opportunity"
    Nonsense. It's no longer viable for Apple due to their margins, no doubt. 

Actually, since Apple can't make the numbers work anymore they should permit a flood of licensed products fill the gap. Give licensed 3rd parties a crack and collect the "free" revenue to boot.
    Why stop with dumb MP3 players? Apple seems to be having a tough time with Macs lately, too. 

Perhaps they should also license MacOS. 

why does anyone bother with working to make "expensive" money when they could make "free" money by following your advice?
    You assume a lot.
    Not really, just using some mental jujitsu. Why argue with your idea when I can point out its ridiculousness by extending it?
    edited July 2017 ronn
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Stupid decision, Tim. The shuffle is the only iPod I consider reasonable to wear during exercise and the best version of the shuffle used to be the one with a bigger clip!

On occasion, when Apple screws up this should be seen as a clear opportunity for their competition.
    I totally agree.  Anyone who exercises seriously cannot use a full size huge iphone for their music.  I understand the market dynamics- no one is buying exercise-oriented ipods because few people exercise these days!
  • Reply 23 of 54
    rwx9901rwx9901 Posts: 100member
    I use the shuffle and the nano while in the gym because of their size and convenience.  Once mine die that means I've gotta lug my iPhone 7+ around with it strapped to my arm like a douche bag?  This sucks.
    stompy
  • Reply 24 of 54
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    I still use an ipod classic in my car. It has started to have some crash issues especially in high heat so I bought a damaged 128GB iphone to replace it and get wifi sync from my carport.

Unfortunately some at Apple don't know anything about music and think it's okay to deliver songs alphabetically (essentially always the wrong choice). It's real bad over the USB interface when e.g. you select an artist- the classic knows to provide albums and then track order instead, though I would prefer year to album title alphabetically. Still song alphabetically has to be the worst choice possible.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    rwx9901 said:
    I use the shuffle and the nano while in the gym because of their size and convenience.  Once mine die that means I've gotta lug my iPhone 7+ around with it strapped to my arm like a douche bag?  This sucks.
    Have you seen Apple's ads lately? The Apple solution for athletic usage is the Watch and AirPods. 

No one has to use an iPhone to work out. Looking like a douche is optional, as usual. 

In related news: reports of iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle devices disappearing in little puffs of smoke seem to have been greatly exaggerated. Nothing to see here, people. 
    edited July 2017 ronnpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 54
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    What if Apple begins making a clip for the Apple Watch to be used without wrist straps....for those people that want to wear their own dumb watch but use the Apple Watch as a clip on wearable...maybe have the clip have an extra battery attached to it...
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 27 of 54
    polymnia said:
    rwx9901 said:
    Have you seen Apple's ads lately? The Apple solution for athletic usage is the Watch and AirPods. 

No one has to use an iPhone to work out. Looking like a douche is optional, as usual. 

In related news: reports of iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle devices disappearing in little puffs of smoke seem to have been greatly exaggerated. Nothing to see here, people. 
    So what you're telling me is that I can use my Apple watch to play my music?  That's news to me.  And the AirPods are not good for the gym.  I won't get into all the nuances of that but they're just not.  A pair of sport headphones specifically made for the gym are the best to use.

So, that said, if a person wishes to switch from their $100 nano or shuffle which come with headphones they'll have to shell out money for a watch ($269) and airpods ($159) for a grand total (without tax) of $428 if they wish to continue to listen to their music like they used to?  Wow what a deal LOL.

I don't carry my iPhone into the gym area.  I leave it in my locker because I don't want the disruption of phone calls.  This is why I use the shuffle and nano.  I use Bose Sport wireless headphones for the nano.  The only way to get around this is to lug my iPhone around the gym which I don't want to do and is why I went with the convenience of the shuffle and nano.  Maybe in the future there will be an option to use the Apple watch detached from the iPhone (which I would love BTW) but until then my method of listening to music is pretty convenient.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 28 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

I would LOVE if everyone at the gym used the shuffle.  Really I would.  The reality though is that everyone uses their iPhone, and irritatingly monopolizing workout benches while doing nothing but texting and yapping on their phone.  It pisses me off to the nth degree!  I miss the days where people would just exercise while listening to music.

I recently bough a shuffle for my mom after she bought a new 2016 Ford and loaded all her music on it and left it plugged into the car's stereo so she never has to use her iPhone to connect to her music.  These little devices were perfect for that.  Makes me wonder if I should do the same, albeit I'll gravitate back to using my iPhone.

It's like saying "goodbye" to an old friend.  They certainly were the jewel of Apple back in the day.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 54
    sflocal said:

I would LOVE if everyone at the gym used the shuffle.  Really I would.  The reality though is that everyone uses their iPhone, and irritatingly monopolizing workout benches while doing nothing but texting and yapping on their phone.  It pisses me off to the nth degree!  I miss the days where people would just exercise while listening to music.

I recently bough a shuffle for my mom after she bought a new 2016 Ford and loaded all her music on it and left it plugged into the car's stereo so she never has to use her iPhone to connect to her music.  These little devices were perfect for that.  Makes me wonder if I should do the same, albeit I'll gravitate back to using my iPhone.

It's like saying "goodbye" to an old friend.  They certainly were the jewel of Apple back in the day.
    I hear you on people using their phones to text, talk, etc. while taking up space on a machine or workout area.  Drives me bat shit bonkers.  It's discourteous to those who are there to do what we're supposed to do in a gym.  
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 54
    rwx9901 said:
    polymnia said:
    rwx9901 said:

So what you're telling me is that I can use my Apple watch to play my music?  That's news to me.  And the AirPods are not good for the gym.  I won't get into all the nuances of that but they're just not.  A pair of sport headphones specifically made for the gym are the best to use.

So, that said, if a person wishes to switch from their $100 nano or shuffle which come with headphones they'll have to shell out money for a watch ($269) and airpods ($159) for a grand total (without tax) of $428 if they wish to continue to listen to their music like they used to?  Wow what a deal LOL.

I don't carry my iPhone into the gym area.  I leave it in my locker because I don't want the disruption of phone calls.  This is why I use the shuffle and nano.  I use Bose Sport wireless headphones for the nano.  The only way to get around this is to lug my iPhone around the gym which I don't want to do and is why I went with the convenience of the shuffle and nano.  Maybe in the future there will be an option to use the Apple watch detached from the iPhone (which I would love BTW) but until then my method of listening to music is pretty convenient.
    I was answering your comment suggesting you had no choice but to lug an iPhone around the gym once your iPod dies. 

Apple has has a solution to that. Watch & AirPods. 

You dont have to like that solution. Which you seem to know already, since you've swapped your Apple earbuds for a set of Bose headphones. 

Apple doesnt need everyone to want its solution. They need the people willing to pay $430 to want it. Once they achieve that success, I'd imagine they will slowly broaden their offerings until they hit all the price points they know to be profitable. 

At least that's how they grew the original iPod business. 

But what do I know?
    edited July 2017 ronnpscooter63radarthekat
  • Reply 31 of 54
    polymnia said:
    rwx9901 said:
    polymnia said:
    rwx9901 said:

I was answering your comment suggesting you had no choice but to lug an iPhone around the gym once your iPod dies. 

Apple has has a solution to that. Watch & AirPods. 

You dont have to like that solution. Which you seem to know already, since you've swapped your Apple earbuds for a set of Bose headphones. 

Apple doesnt need everyone to want its solution. They need the people willing to pay $430 to want it. Once they achieve that success, I'd imagine they will slowly broaden their offerings until they hit all the price points they know to be profitable. 

At least that's how they grew the original iPod business. 

But what do I know?
    You're exactly right.  Apple wants people to spend money on other devices.  And I can understand why they're ridding the shuffle and nano.  I don't like that decision but if they do not sell to the point where they are profitable or practical then they must be removed from the shelves.  Just smart business.  Maybe I'll buy another nano just in case mine takes a dive.
    polymnia
  • Reply 32 of 54
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    heliskyr said:

I totally agree.  Anyone who exercises seriously cannot use a full size huge iphone for their music.  I understand the market dynamics- no one is buying exercise-oriented ipods because few people exercise these days!
    I see people exercising all over the place where I live. I used to rollerblade on these bike paths near my house about 5 years ago and there was never anyone else on them; now you can't skate them because there are so many bikes and people walking/jogging it's nuts. 
    I'm a little sad to see the old iPods retired, but I feel lucky because my wife's original nano finally died, so I went and got her another a couple months ago.
    Apple would love to push the iPod sales toward the watch.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Another interesting fact is that the shuffle and Nano are literally the only Apple devices which still require iTunes in order to get music onto them. These devices are a barrier if Apple want to redesign or move away from iTunes. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rwx9901 said:
    sflocal said:

I hear you on people using their phones to text, talk, etc. while taking up space on a machine or workout area.  Drives me bat shit bonkers.  It's discourteous to those who are there to do what we're supposed to do in a gym.  
    That's the kind of stuff that drove me to get a home gym.

Also, I find it hard to believe Apple will not replace these iPods with an alternative, possibly a similar size with Bluetooth.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 35 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    slurpy said:
    Another interesting fact is that the shuffle and Nano are literally the only Apple devices which still require iTunes in order to get music onto them.
    Why do I get the sinking feeling that Apple's going to block access to non-iTunes Store content…
  • Reply 36 of 54
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    As much as I love the iPod Touch its days are obviously numbered. In my opinion the final demise of iPod is more linked to the rise of music streaming rather than IPhone and iPad providing equivalent functionality as a feature. The iPod line in general served as a personal music library, I.e., the “thousand songs in your pocket” notion that propelled it to dominance. Owners of iPods considered the contents of their personal iPod as “my music” and had a sense of uniqueness and ownership of the hundreds or thousands of tunes that they saved $$$ to purchase, thoughtfully and carefully acquired, and committed to “forever” by saving it within the limited storage capacity of their iPods. 

Streaming changed the whole dynamic of music discovery, acquisition, ownership, commitment, and permanence. With streaming the whole notion of “my music” is much more ephemeral and requires very little thought or consideration. Any music that’s in the massive streaming source can sampled at will, streamed for playing once or twice before discarding, thrown away with minuscule/near-zero $$$ consideration, require almost no storage, and basically have no commitment other than maintaining a subscription with the streaming service. Of course you don’t really own the music that you listen to but since you’ve put so little consideration into acquiring it it’s likely you won’t miss it a whole lot if it goes away.

The current iPods all live within a music consumption model that has been eclipsed by music streaming. There is however at least one way that Apple could still keep an iPod line relevant for music enthusiasts: sell new generation iPods that are bound to Apple Music subscriptions that come with unlimited Apple Music streaming via a special purpose cellular connectivity (not WiFi) as part of the subscription plan. This would be akin to Amazon’s whispersync Kindle feature. The Apple Music streaming could be implemented in various form factor “Apple MusicPods” to fill the use cases that the iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, HomePod, etc., are too large, bulky, or delicate to fill. A model that docks in the HomePod would be interesting. This type of purpose built streaming music device would change the “thousand songs in your pocket” narrative to “30 million songs on your lapel.”
    pscooter63
  • Reply 37 of 54
    I, for one, like the small form Nano for use in the gym and while out paddling. Apple Watch doesn't have enough capacity (and I hate the sound quality w/BT) and the Touch is too damned big. Hopefully my current Nano will hang in there for several more years. Apple's product is superior to the competition and, of course, operates well with my other Apple equipment.

Oh well. Change happens.
    rwx9901
  • Reply 38 of 54
    heliskyr said:

EVERYONE at my gym (The Equinox) in San Francisco uses their smartphones during workouts.  Most (if not all) are iPhones.  If it were listening to music, I'd be okay with it, but they don't.  They spend their entire routine with that thing attached to their hand spending 10 seconds "working out" and 15 minutes "between reps" fiddling with their phones.
  • Reply 39 of 54

rwx9901 said:

That's the kind of stuff that drove me to get a home gym.

Also, I find it hard to believe Apple will not replace these iPods with an alternative, possibly a similar size with Bluetooth.

I yelled at someone at the gym months ago because some millennial-blowhole was SITTING on top of the weight bar on a bench-press, while his disgusting, sweaty feet (no shoes) was on the bench pad busily texting/whatever on his iPhone.  He was in that position for at least 15 minutes until I got fed up with waiting after doing all my other exercises.  Felt like I was yelling at a child after telling him to wipe the bench because of his stench-filled feet.  This "adult" froze in shock that another human was even attempting a talk with him.

In the past, music players were welcomed in the gym.  Even with signs everywhere stating they are not allowed, everyone still brings their phones into the workout areas with complete disregard to everyone around them.  I'm considering canceling my gym membership after 11 years because of this.  It's really bad.

I miss dedicated music players.
    tallest skilwilliamlondonrwx9901
  • Reply 40 of 54
    toltol Posts: 12member
    My guess is that like the iPod Classic the parts are starting to get scarce and it was not worth it to Apple to design replacements based on ongoing sales.  I agree the shuffle will be missed... I ordered an extra on eBay where you can pick them up for $30 used.  Shuffles never break (we have one that was washed and dried), have been replaced by the iPhone. The large number of used shuffles on eBay, after years of no product change suggests, there is little new demand at $49.  And why would Apple want to license the name or tech to a third party and open the iTunes ecosystem?   I am surprised that with the ability to turn old iPhones into iPod touch's the touch is still alive, I don't expect there will be any native iPods in a few years.