Apple kills iPod nano, iPod shuffle lines after nearly 12 years of service

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    My favourite was the small square one that functioned as a clip, that with bluetooth would have been awesome. I also very much liked the no-button shuffle, both of these were great for training.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 42 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I wonder why there are currently 4 (yes, FOUR) iPod related threads today, all of them repeating nearly identical information? Couldn't all of this piecemeal reporting have been collapsed into a single thread?
  • Reply 43 of 54
    My favourite was the small square one that functioned as a clip, that with bluetooth would have been awesome. I also very much liked the no-button shuffle, both of these were great for training.
    I think there's a chance that the two 'deleted' models may come back as Bluetooth enabled. It would make zero sense for Apple to start to chip away at their product line and leave an opening for competitors.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    I was kind of hoping it was going to get replaced by a small screen iPodTouch (there shall be only one) so it could have wifi and all the Music features but still compact in size. 
  • Reply 45 of 54
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    stompy said:
    These iPods have been almost perfect at what they do. So long old friends.

Yes, that explains how they managed to survive many years without an update. How do you improve upon perfect?
  • Reply 46 of 54
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Stupid decision, Tim. The shuffle is the only iPod I consider reasonable to wear during exercise and the best version of the shuffle used to be the one with a bigger clip!

On occasion, when Apple screws up this should be seen as a clear opportunity for their competition.

Your iPod is not going to suddenly stop working. It will continue working fine in another 5 years.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I haven't seen Apples sales figures for the shuffle, so this is just a general viewpoint, but the Shuffle was Apple's only true entry-level cross-platform product under $100. Anybody could enter the Apple ecosystem cheaply. Adding a BT radio to the shuffle would have turned it into a poor-mans Apple Watch music player, maintained the under $100 price point and continued to be a halo product that draws non-Apple users into the fold. and it would have addressed those looking for a convenient, portable music player that doesn't get in their way while exercising. 

That said, maybe the market for that simply doesn't exist anymore, at least in any significant way to encourage a company like Apple to continue investing in their production and development.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    rwx9901rwx9901 Posts: 100member
    sflocal said:

rwx9901 said:

I hear you on people using their phones to text, talk, etc. while taking up space on a machine or workout area.  Drives me bat shit bonkers.  It's discourteous to those who are there to do what we're supposed to do in a gym.  

That's the kind of stuff that drove me to get a home gym.

Also, I find it hard to believe Apple will not replace these iPods with an alternative, possibly a similar size with Bluetooth.

I yelled at someone at the gym months ago because some millennial-blowhole was SITTING on top of the weight bar on a bench-press, while his disgusting, sweaty feet (no shoes) was on the bench pad busily texting/whatever on his iPhone.  He was in that position for at least 15 minutes until I got fed up with waiting after doing all my other exercises.  Felt like I was yelling at a child after telling him to wipe the bench because of his stench-filled feet.  This "adult" froze in shock that another human was even attempting a talk with him.

In the past, music players were welcomed in the gym.  Even with signs everywhere stating they are not allowed, everyone still brings their phones into the workout areas with complete disregard to everyone around them.  I'm considering canceling my gym membership after 11 years because of this.  It's really bad.

I miss dedicated music players.
    What frustrates me is having to take those measures to begin with.  Is this where we've come as a society where people have to actually be TOLD to be courteous to others in the gym.  Matter of fact I would love to see a gym with a sign in the free weight or machine area that states "Please be courteous by limiting cell phone use while using workout equipment.".  I guess we're a little off topic here from the original post but this type of stuff is worth mentioning.

I thought the same thing about maybe an alternative iPod.  With Apple you just never know.  Although I think AppleInsider would be hip to it and post it on their website?? 
  • Reply 49 of 54
    nmcphersnmcphers Posts: 47member
    Do you guys remember when all the MP3 Player manufactures were poised to take on the iPod mini, and Apple completely changed directions on them and release the iPod Nano instead, for which they had no answer? Fond memories. I think that’s what killed most of them.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 50 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    nmcphers said:
    Do you guys remember when all the MP3 Player manufactures were poised to take on the iPod mini, and Apple completely changed directions on them and release the iPod Nano instead, for which they had no answer? Fond memories. I think that’s what killed most of them.
    That keynote was great. “You ever wonder what’s THIS pocket's for?”

edited July 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 51 of 54
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    sflocal said:

I recently bough a shuffle for my mom after she bought a new 2016 Ford and loaded all her music on it and left it plugged into the car's stereo so she never has to use her iPhone to connect to her music.  These little devices were perfect for that.
    We just bought my daughter another Nano to replace the one stolen from her car (along with her dash cam). This is the third one in three years. I told my wife that they're discontinued now and she wondered what our daughter will listen to in the car when this one is stolen.

I'm thinking that her 2017 Ford must have the capacity to play music from a flash drive, but the car isn't here for me to check. Is your mom's nearby? Can you see if hers has that capability? Maybe there's a much simpler, less expensive alternative to the iPod for them.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member

bwana_dik said:
    [...] I hate the sound quality w/BT
    You may want to try out some recent offerings from respected suppliers. My impressions of Bluetooth were formed ~10 years ago, and were not positive. Recently I heard a pair of Sennheisers that surprised me. In an admittedly short listen I didn't notice any of the artifacts we used to associate with wireless audio.

Since then I picked up a pair of Apple Solo3 with the W1 chip. While I admit my listening with them is more casual than critical, I'm satisfied with the wireless connection.

They've also overcome my last objection to wireless cans: worrying about charging. The batteries last so long that charging is now the equivalent of putting gas in the car -- something that needs to be done from time-to-time but not so often as to be disruptive.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Stupid decision, Tim. The shuffle is the only iPod I consider reasonable to wear during exercise and the best version of the shuffle used to be the one with a bigger clip!

On occasion, when Apple screws up this should be seen as a clear opportunity for their competition.

Your iPod is not going to suddenly stop working. It will continue working fine in another 5 years.
    You don't know me so don't act like you do.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...I had been eyeing the shuffle when in the Apple Store...
    Listening to lossless on some Sennheiser now - remarkable for such a small audio player...
    Will they simply build this into the next Apple headphones?