Video: Stop force closing all apps on your iPhone, it's a waste of time

Comments

• Reply 61 of 100
    I wouldnt expect appleinsider to spred this lie. Ill happily post Apple documentation that proves this wrong upon request.
    MLanclos
  • Reply 62 of 100
    rrrize said:
    I disagree. Obviously, at least some memory is being taken up when apps are left open. Even if it's just a screenshot of the app being cached, it's still taking up some memory. But the fact of the matter is, it's not just a screenshot of the app being cached. The app actually is opened and is therefore taking up memory of some kind... obviously.  I believe the video demonstrates, in theory, that you SHOULD close your apps on your iPhone/iPad: He says the only reason you should close an app is if it crashes.  But if the app crashes while it's opened then is that not evidence that the app is opened and running in the background? And if it's running in the background, is it not using memory? If it's using memory does that not potentially impact performance at some level, even if perhaps minuscule? And thus, the more apps you have opened the greater the impact of that potential performance decrease?  Okay, perhaps opened apps are in some dedicated memory for background tasks... but in the end it's still sitting in memory and memory has a limit. So I think it's only common sense and reasonable to quit apps from time to time. I don't think one has to be obsessive about it, but being conscious of it is absolutely wise and to one's advantage. I think this video/article telling folks to NOT force close apps because it's a "waste of time" is... unfortunate.
    The memory wont have a real effect on battery life. Its background tasks that will provide a massive hit. Weather it be scheduled background refreshes, geofencing, or requested backgound process extensions. All of these hit your battery hard and you would be surprised on how many popular apps use all of them.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 63 of 100
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Marvin said:
    Location apps drain the battery more quickly in the background. Having a map open in the background with the GPS active drains more quickly than with GPS deselected. The following site lists a few social media apps that drain battery in the background:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/03/22/top-five-iphone-battery-hogs/
    Thanks for the list.

I would add 3 apps to that list, Camera, Tile and SAQ (a local liquor board app with a fidelity card barcode scanning feature).

I've had the hot phone symptom a few times where it was still hot after many minutes asleep. It was after using Camera, particularly panoramas or videos. I assumed it was uploading to iCloud but it seemed to take longer than expected, yet it also did it with cellular or roaming turned off. Closing the camera app did work but not always. Only a shutdown and restart cooled things off … and stopped the visible power drain as well. I first noticed this about 4 years ago on my 4S and still more recently with my 6S.

I use 24/7 to monitor my sleep, which uses less than 10% battery life. One morning I had very little battery left and when I checked battery usage, much to my surprise, it registered Tile at 46% in the last 24 hours and around 30% for the last 7 days. I had only opened it for a day or less  … a few days before, while travelling to check if the aging Tiles in my luggage were still responding. I promptly turned its Background Refresh off, yet Tile is still 13% for the last 24 hours and still there in the last week for 23% a few days later, so it is still a huge hog. I’ve now went to Tile’s settings and turn Location to ‘While Using’. If there is still some activity I may just shut its Location off, I don't really need it unless something's gone missing.

Finally, using the SAQ fidelity card scan at the cash could leave the phone hot a while after since it will understandably crank the brightness up for the scan but won’t always turn the brightness down afterwards, even when going in other apps. Still, I’ve been back from the store 4 hours now and it’s used 15% of my last 24 hours for less than a minute’s worth of actual usage. I don’t remember noticing this bar code scan behaviour with Wallet or even Passbook before it but I’ve only used it a few times. So I can’t say if it’s the API or SAQ’s implementation that went rogue.

All this to say that there are definitely real use cases of misbehaving apps that need to be shut down every now and then, and some immediately after use. And this is a very small sample size … which includes a ’Stock’ app BTW.

Soli
  • Reply 64 of 100
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Disagree. I don't think it's as simple as DO or DON'T, since some apps may be bad actors. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 65 of 100
    rrrizerrrize Posts: 36member
    rrrize said:
    I disagree. Obviously, at least some memory is being taken up when apps are left open. Even if it's just a screenshot of the app being cached, it's still taking up some memory. But the fact of the matter is, it's not just a screenshot of the app being cached. The app actually is opened and is therefore taking up memory of some kind... obviously.  I believe the video demonstrates, in theory, that you SHOULD close your apps on your iPhone/iPad: He says the only reason you should close an app is if it crashes.  But if the app crashes while it's opened then is that not evidence that the app is opened and running in the background? And if it's running in the background, is it not using memory? If it's using memory does that not potentially impact performance at some level, even if perhaps minuscule? And thus, the more apps you have opened the greater the impact of that potential performance decrease?  Okay, perhaps opened apps are in some dedicated memory for background tasks... but in the end it's still sitting in memory and memory has a limit. So I think it's only common sense and reasonable to quit apps from time to time. I don't think one has to be obsessive about it, but being conscious of it is absolutely wise and to one's advantage. I think this video/article telling folks to NOT force close apps because it's a "waste of time" is... unfortunate.
    So despite the fact that this is the way iOS is designed, despite what Apple executives state and what is reinforced by Apple documentation you disagree because of what you, personally, believe?  THAT is unfortunate.
    Perhaps re-read what I wrote because nothing I said falls into the realm of any "personal belief". I'm a technology expert (professionally) for more than 15 years and an Apple enthusiast for even more years. Instead of being so ready to flame-throw, try to read with some discernment. The way iOS is designed ENABLES you to force-close apps at will. If there was no value in doing that, it would not be a user-accessible option. Therefore, ask yourself, "Why does the force-quit option exist if it is not ever necessary?" Good question, right?  Yes, Apple developers state that you don't have to force-quit apps (and in some cases SHOULD NOT force-quit certain apps that NEED to work in the background) for fear of performance degradation. The reason Apple developers/executives say this is because they've designed iOS to manage background tasks exceptionally well - and they have strict guidelines for app developers to TRY to force them to design apps so that they play perfectly in that environment.  I totally agree that iOS is truly exceptional in the way it handles opened apps and background tasks - perhaps even the best in the business.  What I take exception to is the stated notion that it is a "waste of time" for people to force-quit apps as a remedy to performance issues. It is a quantifiable matter of fact that performance degradation issues CAN and DO occur as a result of multiple apps or even just one faltering app running in background. Do a simple google search to find countless of these where the remedy simply being the force-closing of those apps. This is not to say that what Apple developers/executives says is untrue. They designed iOS to manage opened apps in the background beautifully, but not all apps developed for iOS are perfect and can (and DO) cause performance issues when running in the background, facilitating the NEED for a force-quitting of said app. Of course there are various other issues that can cause performance issues unrelated to background task management, but to assert the notion that it's a waste of time to force-quit apps because it cannot possibly be an open app running in the background that is causing a problem is simply not altogether true or educational.
    firelock
  • Reply 66 of 100
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    rrrize said:
    rrrize said:
    So despite the fact that this is the way iOS is designed, despite what Apple executives state and what is reinforced by Apple documentation you disagree because of what you, personally, believe?  THAT is unfortunate.
    Therefore, ask yourself, "Why does the force-quit option exist if it is not ever necessary?" Good question, right?
    No, it's a ridiculous question because no one is saying that it's not occasionally prudent to force quit an app, but you're repeatedly wrong to suggest that every app listed in FAS is an app running in the background.
  • Reply 67 of 100
    Soli said:
    rrrize said:Therefore, ask yourself, "Why does the force-quit option exist if it is not ever necessary?" Good question, right?
    No, it's a ridiculous question because no one is saying that it's not occasionally prudent to force quit an app, but you're repeatedly wrong to suggest that every app listed in FAS is an app running in the background.
    ...sigh. I've only over-simplified for the sake of making the point. What I am saying is that the statement: "Stop force closing all apps on your iPhone, it's a waste of time" is an erroneous statement. It's not a waste of time to force close an app if it is necessary to force close the app. In other words, you may find that you're experiencing some performance degradation on your iOS device - the act of force closing apps as a troubleshooting exercise may result in resolving the performance issue. Therefore, it is not a waste of time or unreasonable to resort to closing apps to troubleshoot performance issues.
  • Reply 68 of 100
    rrrize said:
    Soli said:
    rrrize said:Therefore, ask yourself, "Why does the force-quit option exist if it is not ever necessary?" Good question, right?
    What I am saying is that the statement: "Stop force closing all apps on your iPhone, it's a waste of time" is an erroneous statement. 
    Again, that's wrong. There's no reason to manually remove all apps from the FAS list. If you have an app that you know—or even suspect—is causing issue you may want to kill it.

If you want to be intelligent and informed about which apps are using services that are detrimental to your device use then check out @jony0's post (#63). He quickly details many simple ways in which to see which apps use the most battery life and how to deal with them in the correct order.

If you ever want to spreading something other than lies you may want to look for a middle ground. For instance, I've submitted to Apple that they need to offer up icons (or something) that indicate which apps are still active in FAS. Not unlike how they use different color pointers in the Task Bar and next to the app in Location Services to indicate which apps are using the GPS and when. Add that, plus some simple method to show which apps are both still in RAM and have Background Refresh, using the internet, and the other background APIs offered to developers. The problem with this is that it can easily become a quagmire of technobabble that users will not understand, but they already have an issue with people like you that say "removing ALL apps from FAS regardless of when you last reboot the device and how long ago that app was used are saying that it's "an erroneous statement" to say that ALL apps need not be removed from FAS.
  • Reply 69 of 100
    BinduBindu Posts: 1member
    Apps which are using GPS like Uber kills the battery. https://www.shoutforlatest.com/iphone-battery-backup-how-to-fixit/
    dysamoria
  • Reply 70 of 100
    Though system manages the resources in efficient manner, but system conserves memory or resources of open app. These apps continues to run in background if is allowed to (by the system), and use more resources than alert notification tasks the app does normally. Thus, memory or resource usage definitely consume more if not drain the battery.
  • Reply 71 of 100
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Soli said:
    rrrize said:
    Soli said:
    What I am saying is that the statement: "Stop force closing all apps on your iPhone, it's a waste of time" is an erroneous statement. 
    Again, that's wrong. There's no reason to manually remove all apps from the FAS list. If you have an app that you know—or even suspect—is causing issue you may want to kill it.

If you want to be intelligent and informed about which apps are using services that are detrimental to your device use then check out @jony0's post (#63). He quickly details many simple ways in which to see which apps use the most battery life and how to deal with them in the correct order.

If you ever want to spreading something other than lies you may want to look for a middle ground. For instance, I've submitted to Apple that they need to offer up icons (or something) that indicate which apps are still active in FAS. Not unlike how they use different color pointers in the Task Bar and next to the app in Location Services to indicate which apps are using the GPS and when. Add that, plus some simple method to show which apps are both still in RAM and have Background Refresh, using the internet, and the other background APIs offered to developers. The problem with this is that it can easily become a quagmire of technobabble that users will not understand, but they already have an issue with people like you that say "removing ALL apps from FAS regardless of when you last reboot the device and how long ago that app was used are saying that it's "an erroneous statement" to say that ALL apps need not be removed from FAS.
    Blah blah blah

The fact is that TODAY there are no indicators and that TODAY it's simpler and quicker to close all apps rather the go into settings and navigate to power wait a sec for the usage to update, and then double click and swipe anyway to close apps.

If you're having any odd issues on your phone it's much quicker to double click and swipe swipe swipe done. It doesn't harm anything and has demonstrably fixed issues with battery usage and sluggish behavior. 

All the alternatives to simply force quitting all apps requires users to play system admin to figure out which are the bad apps and to manually configure background activity settings.  

That the "reason" you claim doesn't exist:  it's faster and easier to close all apps than for the average user to try figure out what's going wrong.  

It's also faster and easier to tell your grandma to double click and swipe close all the apps than to talk her through looking to see which ones might be bad.  It's not a "lie".

Here's an article from someone who has gone through the effort of comparing the two behaviors of app management:

https://www.payetteforward.com/is-closing-iphone-apps-bad-idea-no-heres-why/

I dont force close all apps every day but anytime my battery is low or the phone running hot or slow I do.  It doesn't hurt anything and fixes a lot.
    rrrizedysamoriafirelock
  • Reply 72 of 100
    MLanclos said:
    How much battery life did I waste watching that condescending and, frankly, stupid video?
    3.8% safari is a power hog. I force close safari all the time.
    edited July 2017 dysamoria
  • Reply 73 of 100
    nht said:
    Soli said:
    rrrize said:
    Soli said:

The fact is that TODAY there are no indicators and that TODAY it's simpler and quicker to close all apps rather the go into settings and navigate to power wait a sec for the usage to update, and then double click and swipe anyway to close apps.
    Again, removing items from FAS that aren't running is akin to clearing our your Recents. You really need to stop saying that all apps listed in FAS are running.
    That the "reason" you claim doesn't exist:  it's faster and easier to close all apps than for the average user to try figure out what's going wrong.  
    No it's not. If you've look and adjusted your app settings to limit what apps can do in the background and checked their battery life usage you never have to remove every app to deal with one app. Since I've never removed any app it would probably take me at least 5 minutes to swipe through all the apps I've ever opened since I purchased the device. That means that restarting the phone is faster if there's some system glitch, but this rarely happens. Instead I just force quit the one app I know is having issues. I also usually know why the app is acting up and can even predict when this will happen because instead of defending an action that only serves a purpose to those with OCD, I decided to be smart by using a systematic approach to understand what's happening and why.

edited July 2017
  • Reply 74 of 100
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

You ask if the practice of closing all apps is good or bad.  It's bad if you're doing it all the time to all apps hoping to increase battery life.  Why? Because it takes the app out of it's suspended state and the next time you launch it it has to start fresh, which generally will take longer and thus decrease battery life.
    What's the suspended state? If the app resumes faster when in this state, that's because resources are being used to make it possible to resume to its prior state. Therefore, resources are in use with suspended apps.

When I'm using my devices heavily, I find certain apps start up fresh despite me not having quit them manually. This means that iOS decided to unload them because other apps needed the resources they were tying up. When I switch back, the app has to be started from scratch again, rather than resuming, regardless of the so-called suspended state feature. The end result is that the presence of that app in the FAS was no benefit other than being a shortcut. It becomes near pointless.

Having a ton of apps in the switcher is a pain in the ass regardless. That's why I close them.
  • Reply 75 of 100
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    nht said:
    Soli said:
    phbian said:
    Soli said:

boogybren said:
    I find this to be untrue. Too many apps are actively reaching out to the internet when left to their own devices, causing unnecessary battery drain. I have had to resort to closing my apps just to get decent battery life.

How do I know this outside of battery drain you might ask? Ever had your phone get ridiculously warm in your pocket for no reason? Next time that happens, close your apps and see if it cools down. 
    Nope.

phbian said:
    Closing the apps help not save the battery but free up allocated memory that every app in the background uses. Have enough them open and phone available memory gets really low. Had memory apps that showed memory usage and it proved that it was the case.
    Nope.
    Could you elaborate more than the "Nope" Statement? Are you saying that the apps in the background mode do not use memory allocation?
    For starters, you can stop referring to it as "background mode." As its been stated over and over again in this fucking thread, the apps listed in Fast App Switcher are merely a reverse order of usage. They may or may not be currently running and they may or may not have been purged from RAM. There's literally no way to tell by looking at the list of recently used apps in FAS.

Again, the fucking list of apps in FAS has nothing to do with what is currently taking up address space in RAM, using CPU cycles, or connecting to a network or other components on the device. It's just a handy way to switch between apps most recently used.

If people really can't understand this simple concept that is far from being a *new* feature, then maybe Apple should just remove this convenience, secondary feature of FAS that may or may not stop an app from utilizing the network or other components, stop its use of the CPU, and remove it from RAM.
    The fact is there are more misbehaving apps than folks assume.
    I assume most apps misbehave. Because they do. Software sucks. This is a lifelong observation. No, I'm not "doing it wrong".

Text selection and autocorrect in Safari have been broken since iOS 7, and the problem has since spread to Mail's reading mode in iOS 10. Safari tab previews are still break (become out of date) in iOS 10 (though it seems to occur less than it did in iOS 9). Basic functionality like undoing text editing when using bullets in Notes is so broken that you could suffer major corruption of your text content. These just a few examples of software bugs that Apple refuses to fix (Safari text selection  and editing has been broken for four full generations of iOS). They're right there on the surface. Why would I trust that things are any better under the surface??

Software development (and tech geeks who think they know everything), is long on arrogance and short on honest self-reflection. Software misbehaves almost exactly as often as it does what the user is lead to expect. In fact, the history of computers tends to result in end-users presuming errors and problems (this was a behavior I observed in tech support when people would read me errors that weren't actually there; they'd skim over dialog box text and read it like an error). Computers have gotten more humane, especially with iOS 1-6, but they still kind of suck, and iOS 7 was a massive loss in reliability and stability for iOS that was never really fixed since. The people defending it seem to be the kind of people who have no attention to detail, don't care about end users, or are habitually defending tech because they're tech people (or Apple fans).

Just because Apple project managers say a thing works in a certain way doesn't mean it actually works that way in practice. A project manager is a manager, not a QA tester or a developer. In fact, these people usually are the ones prioritizing new features over fixing long-standing bugs. For years now, I've been reporting bugs to Apple that never get fixed. Why the hell would I trust them at their word? At best they're unaware of the actual facts. At worst, they're spouting marketing and PR spin.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 76 of 100
    Soli said:
    rrrize said:
    Soli said:
    Again, that's wrong.
    Nope. Not wrong at all. And what's ironic is, reading your last 2 responses reveals that YOU know I'm not wrong. You're just one of those very special people who loves to hear themselves speak and find enormous pleasure in insulting and attempting to discredit folks. I won't engage in that kind of tumble with you. I stated my case regarding the video/article and it's a good and fair case. If you're true to form you'll likely respond to this with an insult-latent rant. Save it... or not. Maybe we will have the pleasure of bumping heads again on another topic, but I've made my point and wont be returning to this one.
  • Reply 77 of 100
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    As mentioned in several posts, Location Services is a big source of power drain. Going to Location Services to adjust any apps use of same shows up to three options:

Never
    While Using
    Always

I say 'up to' because some apps only offer two choices. One combination that always gives me pause is:

Never
    Always

And many of those apps would seem to have no reason to need Always as an option. I'm not a dev or software engineer so I don't know why any app shouldn't have a 'While Using' or for what reasons a dev chooses not to include that setting. I also don't know if 'Always' takes precedence over a No in 'Refresh in Background'. 

Though it be deemed dimwitted, I regularly cull the FAS both to reduce clutter as I'm a fan of using the FAS, and I am not about to commit to memory which apps require 'Always', so I routinely kill 'em all that I don't use 24/7. Yes, it's a waste of time to kill apps in the FAS that are behaving properly. It's also a waste of my time to memorize which do and which don't play nice. Kill 'em all, let the iOS sort it out. FASt, expedient, and clean, all in one.

I really do like the idea of different icons in the FAS for those apps that are using resources (other than those where Refresh in Background is desired). This could be difficult to implement but I do like the general concept.
    tallest skilSoli
  • Reply 78 of 100
     For those of us who dislike a cluttered app list, Apple could help by supplying a  "Clear App List" command-- which would retain only apps that are running in the background, such as Safari when it's playing an NPR stream, or Maps navigation.   Obviously, many of us would also like a command that would "Quit All Apps". (And that would be a force-quit, so misbehaving apps get killed.) 

And until Apple supplies these commands, I do not want to hear any static about "wasting my time". MYOB.. 
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 79 of 100
    Soli said:
    nht said:
    Soli said:
    rrrize said:
    Soli said:

Again, removing items from FAS that aren't running is akin to clearing our your Recents. You really need to stop saying that all apps listed in FAS are running.
    Strawman.  I have never said that all apps in the list is running.  Nor have I ever claimed that properly suspended apps take any resources of note.

it is not a "dangerous narrative". Closing all your apps harms nothing.

You are excessively abusive over something this trivial.  There's nothing wrong with closing all your apps instead of looking for one bad app and for most folks it's much faster than setting permissions or looking for poorly behaving apps.

You've been reported. Enjoy your day.

edited July 2017 tallest skil
  • Reply 80 of 100
    nht said:
    Soli said:
    nht said:
    Soli said:
    rrrize said:
    Soli said:

Is this concept really that tough for you? Again, removing items from FAS that aren't running is akin to clearing our your Recents. You really need to stop saying that all apps listed in FAS are running. Are you that dense or are you purposely pushing a disingenuous narrative?

No it's not, because it's something the dimwitted do all the time.

If your not a dummy, and you've look and adjusted your app settings to limit what apps can do in the background and checked their battery life usage you never have to remove every… fucking… app… to deal with one app. Since I've never removed any app it would probably take me at least 5 minutes to swipe through all the apps I've ever opened since I purchased the device. That means that restarting the phone is faster if there's some system glitch, but this rarely happens. Instead I just force quit the one app I know is having issues. I also usually know why the app is acting up and can even predict when this will happen because instead of both acting like a moron and defending an action that only serves a purpose to those with OCD, I decided to be smart by using a systematic approach to understand what's happening and why.

Strawman.  I have never said that all apps in the list is running.  Nor have I ever claimed that properly suspended apps take any resources of note.

it is not a "dangerous narrative". Closing all your apps harms nothing.

You are excessively abusive over something this trivial.  There's nothing wrong with closing all your apps instead of looking for one bad app and for most folks it's much faster than setting permissions or looking for poorly behaving apps.

You've been reported. Enjoy your day.
    1) You've just said it once again. Is it really that difficult for you to understand that removing an old app listed in FAS is not necessarily closing the app?

2) You really should check out @jony0 post instead of pushing your false narrative. At least try to learn something instead of blindly trashing AI's video.
    edited July 2017