Watch: Drag and drop on iPad in iOS 11 beta

Posted:
in iPad edited July 2017
Apple is introducing a number of new features with iOS 11, which for iPad will make the operating system look and feel more like a traditional desktop environment. One hotly anticipated tablet-specific function is the ability to drag and drop files between apps.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

gregoriusmpropodjahblade

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Excellent video! And very informative. Thank you. 
    jahbladejbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 10
    If only my poor brain could absorb data as fast as the narrator speaks. Useless demo for that reason.
    williamlondonflydog
  • Reply 3 of 10
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    If only my poor brain could absorb data as fast as the narrator speaks. Useless demo for that reason.
    YouTube has all sorts of different speed options for their videos, not to mention the ability to pause so you can try out these new features.
    edited July 2017 bloggerblogjahbladejbdragontoysandme
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Soli said:
    YouTube all sorts of different speed options for their videos, not to mention the ability to pause so you can try out these new features.
    They are not of the... .. .. Millennial Mind.....
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Sounds like your brain needs some more RAM.
    jahbladejbdragonstarwars
  • Reply 6 of 10
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Rather harsh, don't you think? If your brain can't keep up with the video (or slow it down or watch it again), then which one is the useless one?  :D
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 10
    What the video doesnt show is that this feature only exists within iCloud drive and not google drive or Dropbox. Using the other 2 services, you are presented a different interface where it is impossible to do.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    mindwaves said:
    What the video doesnt show is that this feature only exists within iCloud drive and not google drive or Dropbox. Using the other 2 services, you are presented a different interface where it is impossible to do.
    This is because the Dropbox and google drive, and also one drive and box are not available for iOS11 yet, I'm sure they are ready (except maybe Gdrive) maybe they are available in testflight for some lucky beta testers.
    toysandme
  • Reply 9 of 10
    You make a good and valid point. However, I still don't see why that the files cannot be viewed in the same window format as the other files in iCloud Drive. Instead, the files are viewable only in some sort of pop-up window. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jgates513jgates513 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Some of those drag and drop options are handy. Others.. meh! And, unless I've just not yet discovered the trick to making it work, I'm unable to drag anything into a Pages document. Not a URL, nor text, and not even a photo from the Photos app. But, to the first commenter's point, the fact that it's difficult to learn those 'features' from this video speaks to the complicated nature of the features moreso, I believe, to the lack of RAM in that commenter's brain. :) I teach a course about iPads and the combination of the clunky nature of these features with the fact that they don't always seem to work, makes it something that I'm hesitant to show.