Fitbit's Apple Watch competitor will offer third-party apps & 'app gallery' at launch - CE...

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Fitbit's first true smartwatch will launch with select third-party apps and an "app gallery," the company's CEO promised on Friday, trying to dispel earlier rumors.

A software development kit will be available to all developers shortly after launch, Park told The Verge. The SDK is said to be based on software picked up through Fitbit's Pebble acquisition, enabling apps that are also compatible with iOS and Android devices.

The company is expected to use a light touch in reviewing apps, and will let developers build special software shared only with friends and family.

To install apps, the public will have to browse an "app gallery" in the company's existing mobile app for iPhone and Android devices.

Park declined to say when the watch will launch, or name companies it's partnering with for initial apps.

"All we can say at this point is that music is a really important part of the fitness experience, and you'll see functionality related to that," he commented. "When it comes to the music industry, it's not just technical. There are business issues as well when it comes to offline playback."

It's been rumored that Spotify could be missing from Fitbit's initial app slate. Instead Park may be referring to Pandora integration, including offline caching for listening without a smartphone.

Other alleged features include GPS, a heart rate sensor, a unibody aluminum shell, and a bright 1,000-nit display -- all features on par with the Apple Watch Series 2. It may also offer some form of wireless payments, and four-day battery life, which would top the one-day life on current Apple Watches.

Pricing could slot in around $300. Optional BeatsX-like Bluetooth earbuds might cost about $150.

While still a leading wearables maker, Fitbit has lost significant ground in the past year, faced with pressure from Apple and Garmin on the high end and brands like Xiaomi on the opposite side.

A Fitbit smartwatch will likely have to compete against the Apple Watch Series 3, which could ship as soon as this fall. Some rumored technologies include sleep tracking, a glucose monitor, "smart" bands, and/or built-in LTE.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Remember this comment from Fitbit CEO:

"We look at it from a consumer point of view,” Park said, noting that the Apple Watch, “is a computing platform [instead, and] that’s really the wrong way to approach this category from the very beginning.”
    "but the point seems to be that Fitbit tries to make its wearables simple, one-purpose devices. The Apple Watch, meanwhile, tries to be all things to all people — providing notifications, fitness stats, and phone calls — but without excelling in any of them."

Ah, the circle of life continues....pretty funny

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cultofmac.com/426280/fitbit-ceo-apple-watch-is-the-wrong-way-to-approach-wearables/amp/
    edited July 2017 randominternetpersonwatto_cobra1983badmonkking editor the gratelollivercornchip
  • Reply 2 of 20
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I predicted this:

The next Apple competitor willl offer a cheaper knockoff that looks and functions as close to Apple as posible. This manufacturer will NOT be a past competitor as every new category brings in a new rival.
    watto_cobrabadmonklollivercornchip
  • Reply 3 of 20
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    The problem is that Apple does excel in all those areas that FitBit thinks it doesn't.  We've heard the same response from Blackberry back in the day as a response to iPhone.  Now look at where we're at.

I like my Apple Watch because it "just works" and it looks stylish.  I don't use all the fancy features, but I might some day when I upgrade.
    anton zuykovwatto_cobrabadmonkking editor the gratelolliver
  • Reply 4 of 20

That design looks like the work of a first-year college student (who earned a B in design).

Why is the body of the watch so much bigger than the screen?  Why is "Fitbit" taking up so much space?  Why do the buttons feature a heavy non-slip texture?  What's with that ugly sun (?) icon if that's what it is?  Why is temperature (presumably what you want to know) no larger than the name of the city (which you presumably know)?

Bluntwatto_cobrabadmonklollivercornchip
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I would think Fitbit would be better served by making cheap and functional items. "Good enough" type stuff. This will get expensive.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 6 of 20
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    Hahahahhahahaha,

Just made my Friday, thank you.
    So allegedly Fitbit will develop a smart watch that does everything Apple Watch does, down to screen brightness.  This watch will have GPS and run apps, with a four day battery.
    Right....

More than one day battery?  I bet the Apple engineers are really kicking themselves now.  How did FitBit find some miracle battery engineers that Apple couldn't.

Wait, how big is this watch?

Maybe it has a little MoonBat engine inside...
    This reminds me of the old Microsoft vapor ware promises.

Watch out Samsung! See what I did there?
    watto_cobrabadmonkfitbitMEcornchip
  • Reply 7 of 20
    is the part that says Fitbit the bezel? or is that on the screen? if that is the bezel, it literally is 25% of the screen.
    edited July 2017 watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 8 of 20
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    LordeHawk said:
    Hahahahhahahaha,

Just made my Friday, thank you.
    So allegedly Fitbit will develop a smart watch that does everything Apple Watch does, down to screen brightness.  This watch will have GPS and run apps, with a four day battery.
    Right....

More than one day battery?  I bet the Apple engineers are really kicking themselves now.  How did FitBit find some miracle battery engineers that Apple couldn't.

Wait, how big is this watch?

Maybe it has a little MoonBat engine inside...
    This reminds me of the old Microsoft vapor ware promises.

Watch out Samsung! See what I did there?

Well, the secret sauce is of course the size, you can get to 10 days if you carry a rock on your wrist.
    All Android phones are proportionally bigger than the Iphone for the battery life they have, but hey Iphone's "fails" because they're not big enough to kill Yaks...
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Fitbit CEO in 2007...(before becoming CEO).
    Apple is going about phones all wrong...I like to keep things simple in a phone...calling and customizable ring tones...
    im sure that article is out there somewhere 
    watto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 10 of 20
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    There is a big difference between offering a device that has an "app gallery" and a device that is a fully fledged functional and connected element in a huge multidimentional cross-platform computing and content ecosystem that includes massive third-party contributors. Pre-iPhone era cell phones had app galleries that were primarily garbage apps to keep you temporarily numb and amused while you were sitting in traffic, waiting in queues, or had no human friends. The Apple Watch is a wrist-worn computer that extends the functionality and value that exists in the vast Apple ecosystem. Yeah, Apple Watch also tells time - gorgeously, but categorizing the Apple Watch as only a watch is like categorizing the iPhone as merely a phone. 
    edited July 2017 watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 11 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    NY1822 said:
    is the part that says Fitbit the bezel? or is that on the screen? if that is the bezel, it literally is 25% of the screen.
    It's ALL bezel.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    A Fitbit smartwatch will likely have to compete against the Apple Watch Series 3..
    And it will fail, very likely. This is how I think about buying Fitbit vs buying AW.
    I have read whole bunch of comments from Fitbit users stating that they were buying second-third device, because the previous one stopped working.
    Come on. I don't want to spend 80-140 bucks on that crap (x2-x3). I would rather go and spend those money on AW that would cost the same, yet work longer and offer so much more functionality-wise, as well as experience-wise.
    watto_cobrabadmonklolliver
  • Reply 13 of 20
    NY1822 said:
    It's ALL bezel.
    what a design team they must have...and the mentality must have been...people's hands are going to be too sweaty to actually press button on the side, so we need to have a dimpled rugged button to prevent slippage...WOW.

I guess when you are a public company you have to stay relevant which often times leads to failure...this has Polaroid written all over it
    watto_cobraanton zuykovcornchip
  • Reply 14 of 20
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I am assuming that is not a real leaked image - otherwise they are toast.  

There is a market for the non-iPhone base, but there are many competitors and that market is likely slower to develop (outside of the cheap buyitoutofcuriousity types) compared with Apple Watch. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I would think Fitbit would be better served by making cheap and functional items. "Good enough" type stuff. This will get expensive.

Like this Fitbit?

watto_cobraanton zuykovlolliver
  • Reply 16 of 20
    gremlingremlin Posts: 64member
    I've been using FitBit for about 3 years or so now, but in that time I have had to purchase about 4 FitBit Ones, the Aria scales and just this last December decided to upgrade to the FitBit Charge.  In the last 6 months I found that the almost-week-long battery has deteriorated to the point where I was charging it once every two days and physically, the point where the rubber strap meets the watch face had split away from the base, creating an 'open lip' that I would catch on almost everything.

I'd been attracted to the Apple Watch since launch, but was unable to justify the price to myself, but after tallying up the cost of my FitBit habit, and knowing the build quality that Apple seems to maintain, I decided to treat myself to the Nike AW2 in June and (so far) am as happy as Larry!

FitBit... kiss my arse!

watto_cobradacharanomelolliver
  • Reply 17 of 20
    wooliewoolie Posts: 34member
    I have had 2 Apple watches & they were junk, for exercising & its subsequent reporting, the battery, were both seriously awful... wifi connectivity a total joke, heart reporting another awful feature...  In frustration I finally went to Fitbit, which provided all of the previous Apple issues better & seamlessly...  Frankly Apple should fire their Apple watch designers & buy out Fitbit & employ them...

You know Apple is in trouble when they continually hide their Watch sales...  Finding someone wearing a Apple watch is extremely rare event & Fitbit's are everywhere...  I am excited about the new Fitbit watch that is coming, there is no hope that Apple is going to match Fitbit...

I own numerous Apple products, but its current management does not contain any visionary people and all of their products are falling behind and continually playing catch up to their competitors & it is painful to witness...   I know the Apple fanboys will go nuts but I am sorry, I am not drinking Apple's Koolaide... 
  • Reply 18 of 20
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Interesting about the "one day battery life of Apple Watch". I always get three days of battery life with my Series 2 Apple Watch with normal use.
    watto_cobralollivercornchip
  • Reply 19 of 20
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    woolie said:
    I have had 2 Apple watches & they were junk, for exercising & its subsequent reporting, the battery, were both seriously awful... wifi connectivity a total joke, heart reporting another awful feature...  In frustration I finally went to Fitbit, which provided all of the previous Apple issues better & seamlessly...  Frankly Apple should fire their Apple watch designers & buy out Fitbit & employ them...

You know Apple is in trouble when they continually hide their Watch sales...  Finding someone wearing a Apple watch is extremely rare event & Fitbit's are everywhere...  I am excited about the new Fitbit watch that is coming, there is no hope that Apple is going to match Fitbit...

I own numerous Apple products, but its current management does not contain any visionary people and all of their products are falling behind and continually playing catch up to their competitors & it is painful to witness...   I know the Apple fanboys will go nuts but I am sorry, I am not drinking Apple's Koolaide... 
    Wow...read your posting history. You are either the unlucky_with_Apple_products exception that proves the rule or one miserable sob. 
    brucemcwatto_cobralollivercornchip
  • Reply 20 of 20
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I'm a long-time FitBit user. I bought two FitBit Ones, not because the first one broke, but because I lost the first one. Then I had a Flex which I wore out at least three bands on, including one that caused contact dermatitis on my wrist. I currently have a ChargeHR, which is working OK, but I have no interest in buying a new one. Partly because I think I'm at a point where I can justify an Apple Watch, and partly because FitBit's prices have reached a point where they're way too high for the functionality they offer.

FitBit's build quality is also a bit dodgy. Straps, bands, etc fail a bit too easily. The core electronic component seems fine, mostly, but battery life is a problem. They start at up to a week, but they fall very rapidly to every other day.

So, regardless of comparative price, I personally will look to replace this with an Apple Watch, and not a FitBit watch. I'm just waiting to see if/when Series 3 comes out, then I'll either get one of them, or a Series 2 at a reduced price. Unless this thing fails in the meantime, in which case I guess I'll just get a Series 2.

watto_cobralolliver